First Light USA Torq Problem

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older Torq and it has been stepping down in brightness regardless of the age of the batteries. I've tried multiple sets of batteries and nothing seems to correct the problem. I get full output for a few seconds then it steps down a level. Does anyone have any ideas.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like some kind of leak, I had a similar one in one Chinese lantern, he tried to kill fresh 18650, the current was normally 1 ampere, and then something changed and he began to consume 4 amperes. Some element began to pass current, which should not have passed.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not killing the batteries. Batteries seem fine even using the light. All features of the light seem to work fine. I just can't get full output for more than a few seconds.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it have thermal protection? Maybe the thermal paste has dried up or the contact of the diode board has become worse and it overheats and the protection works? In any case, on the processors of computers and video cards, I change the thermal paste and stretch the contacts every 5 years.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Have you contacted First Light?
If there is an issue plaguing it they'll probably want to know since many use them for "must work all the time, everytime" applications. And if it's a typical problem they probably know how to fix it.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if it has thermal protection. That could be the issue.

I did contact First Light. I sent an email and am waiting for a response. I tried calling and had no luck. However, it just hit me. The big snow storm might be making things difficult for them.

I guess I thought I'd ask here just in case someone could point to an easy fix or user error.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Customer service can be a bit Hit or Miss with them.
It isn't just the big snow storm in the area.
Keep trying. Hopefully you'll get through.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
They did respond. Suggested cleaning contacts. That did nothing. They offered to repair it but I opted to send it back to the person I got it from. I don't want to deal with it. That said, I ordered a new one and received it already. The new one is improved a bit. I think the battery contacts will be less prone to issues. Regardless, it's a really neat light. I like it very much. Cool white could be more neutral, but it's a very useful unique light. I like it better than their aluminum lights that I've had in the past. However, I kind of want to try the TMaxx.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've never tried this brand or their products, but isn't this just more PRC crap with American branding?
They have two basic designs with variations of both. I own both. For someone who really wants a tactical right-angle light, definitely worth a look. Personally I find both models to be overrated. The fact that they've been around for several years with no new models introduced since they first hit the scene, is troubling.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure they are manufactured in the USA. The models themselves have not changed much, but the TMaxx is newer. They have updated the led and the output a couple times as well. Their products have their place and I think their market is primarily the US Government. They do not concern themselves with CPF types. In fact their newest two models are not for sale to the public. At least not yet.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I emailed company and Leslie Kirby, sales manager, responded and said products are made in USA and assembled in Illinois. Glad to hear it.

I would have lost that bet for sure.
This is the only mention of that out of their entire website..."We are proud to assemble all of our lights by hand in Seymour, IL USA."

Like what was stated above...I guess they don't care about one-off civilian sales. lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a Tomahawk LE from a few years back. It's a unique way to illuminate objects with some unique options I thought were darn good ideas as long as you train with that light and only that light.

To just pick it up off a table and try to operate it can lead to the user saying "Jane! Stop this crazy thing!" (reference to George Jetson walking Astro.) But I can see where someone who has spent time operating the Tomahawk and becoming familiar with using the interface would find the unique features very useful.

To me it's kinda like a right angle SureFire Kroma with a nintendo controller on top.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too funny. I like the format. I agree the user interface is cumbersome. However, the max output momentary switch is great when using a firearm. The size and shape just made it difficult to carry. The Torq is a bit smaller and actually drops into my pocket and isn't too uncomfortable. Overall, with training I imagine the light would be more intuitive to use.