First test of my drone mounted lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stay Sharp

Newly Enlightened
I've asked the CPF Transportation Lighting experts to take a look at concerns raised here in this thread.

Meanwhile, seeing posts with a lot of "you" and "your" in it, suggests the opposite of depersonalizizing the issues to me :thinking:

It would be a good idea to remove the uneducated complainer from the thread. It could then return to being useful without the off topic complaining that has been of zero value.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
It would be a good idea to remove the uneducated complainer from the thread. It could then return to being useful without the off topic complaining that has been of zero value.

As I am not familiar with the relevant regulations referenced, let's let staff who are determine whether that is "off-topic" or not.

Since you appear to be relatively new to CPF, a reminder that moderation is not an appropriate topic to be addressed in the open forum.

Thanks your your patience and understanding while we sort this out shortly.

Stay Sharp

Newly Enlightened
As I am not familiar with the relevant regulations referenced, let's let staff who are determine whether that is "off-topic" or not.

Since you appear to be relatively new to CPF, a reminder that moderation is not an appropriate topic to be addressed in the open forum.

Thanks your your patience and understanding while we sort this out shortly.

Your staff will want to understand that designers/inventors of drone accessories may or may not be the end user of said drone (and drone accessory) Just like there are rocket scientists that never ride in the rockets they design.

The subject here is affixing the brightest and longest beam flashlight with the lightest weight footprint on the craft. The FAA dose not care a lick about this and this drone manufacture itself is working on a SAR lighting package but they are very slow. The act of adding after market lights to drones is very common. This drone is so new that no viable option presently exists. That is why Im designing such an option.

I came to a flashlight forum seeking flashlight input from flashlight experts/users. At no time was I asking about drone usage or regulations. Such talk is not within the scope of the thread and only serves as useless distractions.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Your staff will want to understand that designers/inventors of drone accessories may or may not be the end user of said drone (and drone accessory) Just like there are rocket scientists that never ride in the rockets they design.

The subject here is affixing the brightest and longest beam flashlight with the lightest weight footprint on the craft. The FAA dose not care a lick about this and this drone manufacture itself is working on a SAR lighting package but they are very slow. The act of adding after market lights to drones is very common. This drone is so new that no viable option presently exists. That is why Im designing such an option.

I came to a flashlight forum seeking flashlight input from flashlight experts/users. At no time was I asking about drone usage or regulations. Such talk is not within the scope of the thread and only serves as useless distractions.

Yes, we hear something very similar a lot in the Automotive forum, as well.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=430759

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
Seeing the pattern of the PD36 lights, I think the offset of beams is a good idea, at least with those particular lights. For SAR work at 100', I'd think some offset or one light with a wider pattern, for an overall wider pattern would be helpful.

The very bright, relatively small beam area (not conversant with flashlight lingo) seems almost wasted when it blows out detail. At the moment it seems one has to pick the altitude and lights appropriate for that altitude.

I understand in general the inverse square law, but I'm not clear on the 41% loss of non-coincident lighting.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand in general the inverse square law, but I'm not clear on the 41% loss of non-coincident lighting.

With 2 lights, you get 2X the cd. If you use the inverse square, the square root of 2 is 1.4142 which is the increase in beam distance. If you spread the lights out so that the beams no longer overlap, you lose that 41.42%, If they partially overlap you get a lesser reduction, which is why I said "up to 41%".

Last edited:

Stay Sharp

Newly Enlightened
I revised the design and spread the light beams apart to cover more ground. Here are the results in the video link below.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest some tests using different types of diffusion material on the front of the lights to help spread it out over the image, as it seems most of the light is being concentrated in the center, unless that is what you are wanting. Of course as the light spreads out it will become less intense, so finding the right balance will be key.

Some folks start with something as simple as frosted Scotch Tape, but there are all types of diffusion materials available. Lee Filters puts out a swatch book with color correction gels that also includes a nice selection of diffusion materials which are large enough to cut out and apply to at least 2 lights:
https://www.filmtools.com/leeswatchbook.html

You simply cut out a circle and attach it to the front glass using a tiny piece of double sided tape in the center.

You might also try using diffusion material on one light and keeping the other light clear. I also think bykfixer's suggestion of using some type of optic to place over the light, would be worth looking into, because it appears you are currently only using the center spot from the Fenix light (thus wasting the spill light), and the optic would concentrate the entire beam on the area you want to see, and choosing the correct optic would allow you to determine the size of the circle you want to see, and even have different optics for different flying heights.

Anyway, quite a fascinating project. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

hsa

Enlightened
You have a nice combination of options there. I wouldn't change anything until you see what it is like without the snow cover. You might have to converge the beams again. Your friend on the ground will be much harder to see whithout the contrasting snow for a backdrop. That's just my opinion though and I don't know much. I am enjoying the progress on this project though.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt flashlights on drones is interesting to some members here. It is possible that the OP uses his drone in an unlawful manner, perhaps someone gets hurt from a falling flashlight or encumbered, unstable drone . The lawyer for OP, feeling like he can lessen OP's responsibility, claims that OP sought 'expert advice' from CPF. Those who've never been drug into a lawsuit, will probably not consider this. As crazy as things are now, it must be considered. Maybe there is some kind of wording already in place within CPF's 'fine print' that would dissuade OP's lawyer from trying that? FAA is coming down on drone users more and more because of irresponsible behaviors.

nbp

Flashaholic
Kitrobaskin, please provide to us all proof of your up to date vehicle registrations, gun registrations, pet licenses, hunting and fishing licenses, and any professional certifications relating to your occupation. We would like to make sure you are not possibly engaging in any unlawful activity.

Oh, that seems ridiculous? That's because it is. CPF policy prohibits discussion and promotion of illegal activity. So far there is no evidence of any illegal activities being discussed here, and probing and questioning members in an effort to find some fault is beyond the scope of the authority of anyone here. Please leave this thread alone and let CPF staff address any concerns, should they arise.

Stay Sharp

Newly Enlightened
No doubt flashlights on drones is interesting to some members here. It is possible that the OP uses his drone in an unlawful manner, perhaps someone gets hurt from a falling flashlight or encumbered, unstable drone . The lawyer for OP, feeling like he can lessen OP's responsibility, claims that OP sought 'expert advice' from CPF. Those who've never been drug into a lawsuit, will probably not consider this. As crazy as things are now, it must be considered. Maybe there is some kind of wording already in place within CPF's 'fine print' that would dissuade OP's lawyer from trying that? FAA is coming down on drone users more and more because of irresponsible behaviors.

:shakehead

Greta

Flashaholic
I think this thread has run it's course and there is really no more to be gained... especially when talk of litigation, liability and name calling come into play. So let's say toodles to yet another thread that has gone too far off the rails.

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.