FiTorch MR35: No reasons to hype the light: Weak spots and major fail.

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
The FiTorch MR35 is a unique light that seems to be of very good quality. But there are major problems:
+ not IPX-8 as claimed: mine got damaged after 15min in the sink, very shallow water. Possible water ingress through USB-port (was 100% closed) but more likely side switch.
+ cheap USB-port rubber cover, hard to operate and prone to wear and tear.
+ poor ergonomics
+ prominent side switch exposed and vulnerable to mechanical stress.

+ UV mode rather weak, not as good as i.e. a Convoy UV-light

All those flaws make it not geared towards hard use or outdoor use.

The light could be great but as it is it does not deliver what it promises most of all: A robust, reliable outdoor performance. See my review:

stephenk

Enlightened
I've been using this light since it was released in August 2017 (I was send one for review) and it has held up to outdoor use well, including hot, humid, and damp conditions.

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
I've been using this light since it was released in August 2017 (I was send one for review) and it has held up to outdoor use well, including hot, humid, and damp conditions.

So you don't mind to do a quick IPX8 test then? I may just have the single bad unit or a bad batch.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast

So you don't mind to do a quick IPX8 test then? I may just have the single bad unit or a bad batch.

Thank You for the excellent review Markus. 2 interesting points of view. A free light and a paid for light. One is good, one is not. I own an Acebeam L30 that is a great performer but if the rubber cap over the USB port comes out of place there is a wide open hole where you can look into the light. Not to be trusted out in the rain etc. I would not recommend water testing any light with a USB port.

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
Thank You for the excellent review Markus. 2 interesting points of view. A free light and a paid for light. One is good, one is not. I own an Acebeam L30 that is a great performer but if the rubber cap over the USB port comes out of place there is a wide open hole where you can look into the light. Not to be trusted out in the rain etc. I would not recommend water testing any light with a USB port.

Someone in the german forum TLF tested it now and says it is fine after 2h under water. It would help if more owners conducted a little IPX-8 test. I would dismantle the head of my MR35 but I want to wait what the customer service says and also I have little time right now.

I am not sure whether the MR35 has a seal between the shelf (behind the bezel) and the glass or between reflector and glass which is a poor solution found in some lights.

And this is a way to seal a USB port 100% and build a light like a tank for about 30 USD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLFXCaDO9Tg&t=284s

It can be done!

Last edited:

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
I took the FiTorch MR 35 apart. Head is glued. However, there are some ways to open it without causing damage. I could not take the driver out, it does not move at all. All the O-rings are 100%. Every seal seems fine. Yet water leaks into the light every single time. The USB-Port is very weakly protected. There is a hole next to the port which holds the rubber seal. This hole might be the problem. The switch seems sealed.

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
I solved the riddle: Entry point is the side switch. It has a O-ring but the water travels through the side switch. So it does not travel on the side of the switch but leaks into the switch and then into the light! It is not the USB-port cover however weak it seems.