Fivemega's Strion conversion kit for Surefire A2

openbolt1

Enlightened
Has anyone compared FIVEMEGA's kit against the Lumens Factory drop-in? I have the L/F bulb and it's an improvement over the S/F factory unit so I'm wondering if I can get even more out of my A2 with Five's new kit...

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

mitch79

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried the Streamlight Stinger bulbs in their A2 with FM socket?

FM indicates in his sales thread that they are a longer life alternative to Strion bulbs.
From Streamlight's website the Stinger is rated at 125lm @ 3.6V. The Strion 116lm from 1x Li-ion (4.2-3.6V).

Snow

Enlightened
Something is going on with my A2.

• My A2 with Strion kit does not seem to be much brighter than the stock MA02. I don't own two A2s, so I can't compare side by side.
  • My 6PD with stock P60 outthrows the A2/Strion with a noticeably brighter hotspot.
  • The positive contact on my socket is not made of brass.
As of last night, my A2 will not turn on with the Strion socket installed, but still functions correctly with the MA02. I have PMed Fivemega and await his response, but was hoping someone here might have some advice. I have to say, after the positive reports in this thread, I was excited for the upgrade, but right now I am pretty disappointed.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
What is the serial number of your A2?

I had an early A2 that did not show a brightness increase with the Strion kit so being curious, and having spare funds back then, I bought a second more recent A2 and the difference was very obvious.

Snow

Enlightened
My A2 is serial number A70328. I think I might have just gotten a bad one somehow. I PMed Fivemega and he said to send it in for a replacement. It seems like no matter what, it won't make a good connection, which would definitely hinder any brightness increase.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to bump this thread. I've had the opportunity to use one of my Strion bulbs for about 8 hours now judging by the number of battery pairs I've put through it, and most uses involved extended runs of the incan lamp in my coffee farms. The bulb has darkened some but it's still plenty bright. Like my overdriven M6 regulated at 7.5V with the MN21, the glass envelopes seem to suffer more from the heat in extended runs. Used in short bursts, the blackening is delayed.

I am still ever so pleased with this setup. Out to 80 yards in pitch black conditions huge areas can be cleared with no problem.

Well so these kits have been around long enough that probably some members have had the opportunity to really test them any comments ?

Barefootone

Enlightened
Something is going on with my A2.

• My A2 with Strion kit does not seem to be much brighter than the stock MA02. I don't own two A2s, so I can't compare side by side.
  • My 6PD with stock P60 outthrows the A2/Strion with a noticeably brighter hotspot.
  • The positive contact on my socket is not made of brass.
As of last night, my A2 will not turn on with the Strion socket installed, but still functions correctly with the MA02. I have PMed Fivemega and await his response, but was hoping someone here might have some advice. I have to say, after the positive reports in this thread, I was excited for the upgrade, but right now I am pretty disappointed.

Snow,

You are not alone unfortunately my Strion has developed the same problem in my A2, freaking bummer :green: . I loved the Strion's beam, so much better than the MAo2 IMHO.

I've corresponded with Varooj and sent him my A2 and Strion in hopes he will uncover the problem. There must be an anomaly in some of the A2's that won't allow the current to flow through either the ground or positive path just my guess :thinking:.

Snow

Enlightened
Snow,

You are not alone unfortunately my Strion has developed the same problem in my A2, freaking bummer :green: . I loved the Strion's beam, so much better than the MAo2 IMHO.

I've corresponded with Varooj and sent him my A2 and Strion in hopes he will uncover the problem. There must be an anomaly in some of the A2's that won't allow the current to flow through either the ground or positive path just my guess :thinking:.

Yeah it is a bummer to go back to the stock MA02 after seeing the Strion kit. I actually went through a huge ordeal sending a few different kits back to Varooj and also sending him my A2. I finally ended up with 3 A2s. Two of them work perfectly with Strion kits and the third won't work with either of them. I have never been able to figure out why.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excuse the bump.

I just got a Strion kit and its exhibiting the same problems, it will not turn on when installed on the A2, even the LED won't turn on.

Edit: got it working (the head really needs to be tightened!) Is there supposed to be an inductor whine? I can hear it clearly when the incan bulb is turned on. :thinking:

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
did these Strion kit issues of not powering up get resolved? I've been considering posting a WTB for one but don't want to damage my A2

the MA02 bulbs don't darken/blacken, do they?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think so, these haven't been in production for years now. One of the reasons I didn't go with the Strion kit in the end. You can probably still find them on eBay from time to time or on some small eshops. I am not located in US so that would make the search for Strion bulbs even more complicated.

Latest posts