Fixed Blade for Outdoor EDC

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
straightblast said:
My friend Rob passed away a couple years ago. He needed no "plug" then or now.

Sorry, I missed the 70-80 dollar limit in your first post. At that price I would look to find one of the Becker camp knives, on the secondary market. Nice knives.

Sorry, I missed the RIP in your first post.

My post was more sarcastic than I intended. I meant no disrespect to your departed friend, or to you.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I know you stated $70-80 limit, but I would truly save the extra $20-30 and get the Nimravus. Mine is the M2 model, which is even better in my opinion.

But the icing on the cake is that the holster/sheath for the Nimravus is perhaps one of the best in the market, bar none - simply excellent and versatile ;)

Will

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the OP is asking for suggestions of a knife that is big enough to chop wood; that probably means something with a blade at least 6 inches long, preferably 7-10 inches with good heft and a comfortable handle.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
I believe the OP is asking for suggestions of a knife that is big enough to chop wood; that probably means something with a blade at least 6 inches long, preferably 7-10 inches with good heft and a comfortable handle.

Thanks for getting things back on track leukos.

Yes, 7 inches should probably be the minimum blade length, and 10 inches the maximum.

Prefer a heavy, thick blade of steel that can stand up to regular chopping and maybe occasionally a little prying. (To be used for prying only if really necessary.)

Should be able to easily lop off branches, chop through small diameter logs, etc. without expending too much time and effort. Don't expect performance as good as a hand ax, but should be able to substitute for ax if necessary.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
I would off that you go look at the bark river knife and tool selection. Some are at the top end of your price range, some a bit higher. but as well made as anything you are going to find. A warrantee that can not be believed yet is rock solid. you ding it, they fix it free, forever. I am not a big fan of mongo survival knives, I find that a smaller more useful blade in the 3-5 inch range, along with a folding saw or small hatchet is a far more useful adaptation than any 3 pound rambo knife.

A small folding saw nowadays is so much more efficient at cutting wood it is just amazing how fast they will buzz thru a 2-3 inch branch or sapling. THe one i have been using is great, its made by a company named Silky and i got it as a hand out at a trade show...so it can not cost that much. But it just flies thru trimming operations.

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
Under $80:
Cold Steel SRK, Recon Tanto, ODA, UWK, OSS
Becker
Ka-Bar Extreme D2

Under $110 (I highly suggest you wait until you have enough money):
Fallkniven A1 ($105-$135)
Ranger 9 ($90-$100)
Scrapper 6 ($85-$90) ***Best Value IMHO***

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
Here's a couple of Ka-bars in your price range:

Thanks leukos.

I've never been a Ka-Bar fan because I was always put off by their handles. I've seen those leather-wrap handles shrink and loosen up over time. Also, I don't like the feel of a circular cross section handle in my hand. Looks like they've updated the handles on some models.

Thanks to everyone who has offered knife suggestions.

Here is why I prefer to carry a big, sturdy knife outdoors:

Always in my rucksack is a lightweight 5 ft x 7 ft nylon tarp and plenty of 550 lb test nylon cord, even during short day hikes. This setup, along with a knife of decent chopping ability, is fairly lightweight insurance against unexpected events.

With a good knife, I can cut poles and pegs and have the tarp set up in around ten minutes as decent overnight shelter from the elements. Guyed out securely, a simple nylon tarp will stand up to heavy rain, snow, and fairly high wind. Sometimes the tarp is set up as a lunch time shelter from rain and wind.

Having a heavy-duty knife to lop off branches, chop through small saplings to make poles, and quickly put points on pegs makes a big difference. You could probably do this with a smaller, lighter knife, even a stout folding knife, but not nearly as quickly and easily.

I don't mind carrying a heavier knife when hiking, but draw the line at carrying a hand ax and folding saw. Yes, those work better for cutting poles, firewood, etc., and are great for car camping, but are too heavy and bulky to carry while hiking or backpacking. I have tried a few of the lightweight wire saws, but so far I haven't been overly impressed by their cutting abilities.

highorder

Enlightened
I don't mind carrying a heavier knife when hiking, but draw the line at carrying a hand ax and folding saw. Yes, those work better for cutting poles, firewood, etc., and are great for car camping, but are too heavy and bulky to carry while hiking or backpacking.

I disagree with you there. at 22 oz. of polymer and steel, I have never noticed a burden from my trusty Gerber camp axe.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Camp-Axe-5905.htm

a fixed blade big enough to split or chop wood is too heavy, or too bulbous to be handy to carry.

of course, YMMV

HPDSNYPER

Newly Enlightened
Ontario RAT 7 with it's 7" blade is a great all around knife. I have a "7" which I use as my main sheath knife when on extended hikes. Ialso have the RAT 3, original RTAK and TAK. The RTAK is a very large knife with it's 10" blade but very good as a base camp knife. I've used my RTAK on numerous camping trips, and it hasn't failed me yet.

Ontario recently came out with a RAT 5 which also has an impact pommel and this looks like it'll be a great carry knife. You could get the new RAT 5 on e-bay in the $75.00 range. Check out the write ups...may be worth the money and time to research. In the last couple of years, Ontario has offered the RAT 7/TAK in D2 steel, but you'll pay the price.

As you asked in your post. I do have an Outcast. It's a thin bladed knife which is great for cutting brush and tree limbs up to 2". Branches in that size range don't stand a chance, that D2 makes very short work of those. I've used mine as a work knife which I carry in my police vehicle. I've cut tree limbs as large in diameter as 4-5" with no problems. Here in Hawaii, we have a tree which you've probably heard of. Guava. These trees are sort of like the white oak found on the CONUS. The Outcast makes short work of these too. The shape of the blade makes it a great chopper with the recurve portion gives it major cutting power. I myself like this knife but due to it's size, it's mainly used as my vehicle emergency knife.

Aloha

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
highorder said:
I disagree with you there. at 22 oz. of polymer and steel, I have never noticed a burden from my trusty Gerber camp axe...a fixed blade big enough to split or chop wood is too heavy, or too bulbous to be handy to carry. of course, YMMV

highorder, it happens that I familiar with that ax, because I have essentially the same ax, but sold under the Fiskars brandname.

Fiskars is, or was, a Finnish cutlery/tool maker. Recently either Fiskars aquired Gerber, or Gerber aquired Fiskars, I can't remember for sure which way it went.

Anyhow, I've used my Fiskars polymer-handle ax while camping and like it a lot. Well-balanced, tough, and the head should never fly off. However, it's not something I want to carry along on a dayhike or when backpacking.

A heavy fixed blade knife fits more easily into my rucksack.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
HPDSNYPER said:
As you asked in your post. I do have an Outcast. It's a thin bladed knife which is great for cutting brush and tree limbs up to 2". Branches in that size range don't stand a chance, that D2 makes very short work of those. I've used mine as a work knife which I carry in my police vehicle. I've cut tree limbs as large in diameter as 4-5" with no problems. Here in Hawaii, we have a tree which you've probably heard of. Guava. These trees are sort of like the white oak found on the CONUS. The Outcast makes short work of these too. The shape of the blade makes it a great chopper with the recurve portion gives it major cutting power. I myself like this knife but due to it's size, it's mainly used as my vehicle emergency knife.

Thanks HPDSNYPER! That's exactly what I was hoping for, an evaluation by someone who owns an Outcast.

I'll get both the Outcast and a smaller knife, with maybe a seven inch blade. If the Outcast is too heavy/bulky for hiking, then I'll keep in a vehicle for emergency use and for car camping.

I'll check out the Ontario line for a seven inch knife, but right now am leaning toward the Becker BK7. I've heard good things about Becker and the price is right on the BK7.

cy

Flashaholic
really surprised!.... Ontario version of RTAK gets slammed pretty good in this review...
http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/ontario_rtak.html

HPDSNYPER said:
Ontario RAT 7 with it's 7" blade is a great all around knife. I have a "7" which I use as my main sheath knife when on extended hikes. Ialso have the RAT 3, original RTAK and TAK. The RTAK is a very large knife with it's 10" blade but very good as a base camp knife. I've used my RTAK on numerous camping trips, and it hasn't failed me yet.

Aloha

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure what kind of fold saw you are talking about as being to hard to fit in your rucksack, but the one i have is no bigger than a Kabar in the sheath.

http://www.orchardsedge.com/tools.jsp?brand=silky&type=foldingsaws

Many of the saws on here weigh 8-10 ounces. They are the tool of professional arborists and forresters because they are faster, easier and do less damage to the standing tree if you are cutting off dead limbs off live trees.

Until you have actually used a new style saw in the woods, do not rule them out.

at the cost they are, you can afford to try one as they are often retailing for less than $20.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
really surprised!.... Ontario version of RTAK gets slammed pretty good in this review...
http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/ontario_rtak.html

Thanks for the link cy! That site has some incredibly thorough testing of knives in actual outdoor use.

He lops off branches, he chops through saplings, he splits logs using a baton, he chops through frozen animal bones, and he prys hardwood with blade tips. He builds lean-to shelters and splits downed wood to start fires. Tests blades to destruction! I love that site!

After reading his tests I'll avoid the Becker BK7, which he says has poor chopping ability, and get the BK9, which he says is very good for the price.

Also interesting: tests on Kydex. I've experienced Kydex failures in very cold weather, which he discovers is the the rule, not the exception. Anyone considering a Kydex holster or sheath should read his tests.

Thanks again.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
guntotin_fool said:
I am not sure what kind of fold saw you are talking about as being to hard to fit in your rucksack, but the one i have is no bigger than a Kabar in the sheath...at the cost they are, you can afford to try one as they are often retailing for less than $20.

Thanks for the link guntotin_fool. I'll read up on them and maybe try one out.

You may be right about folding saws, but the only folding saws I've used that acually worked well at cutting wood were all bigger saws. I tried a small folding Gerber saw, and a couple of other brands picked up at outdoor gear shops, and none of them impressed me as practical tools for cutting wood.

Yesterday I read a review of the Gerber folding saw on the cutleryscience site. The reviewer disliked it as much as I did. But, after he replaced the Gerber's blade with some other brand blade, he was fairly happy with its performance.

So, I've probably never used a small folding saw with a decent blade design.

ryball

Newly Enlightened
I have a Becker and I love it. Does the job. I also wouldn't mind one of the Ontario knives like the SP6, 8, or 10. Something that works and isn't too pricey. Something that I can hack and not worry/care about ruining.