Fixed Blade needed

cyberspyder

Enlightened
...again because I'm buying a knife! One can't have enough knives. the Native I have is adequate, except that it's too short, and takes longer to deploy than a fixed blade, so i am searching for a fixed-blade. inspired by them 'Neck Knife' thread, i want a small-ish (hint... no Ka-Bars) knife, preferably 9" or less (overall length). also, i want a solid sheath (Kydex, not ballistic nylon or Cordura) that will enable me to mount it upside down on a vest (that means it has to have lanyard holes). i prefer a knife with a full tang and no handle (none of that glass-filled nylon). also, it has to be relatively cheap (>$80 CAD). if the site has it for sale, and ships to Canada, that works too. here are the ones i've picked out:

-Gerber Harsey Hunter - $55.99
-United Cutlery Elite Forces Tactical Knife - $21.99
-HAK (cheapest model) - $65
-Timberline Lightfoot Mini Pit-Bull - $35.99

folders that will work too:

-Timberline Worden Tactical Folders (Large) - $64.99
-Buck Strider SBMF (the REAL Striders are out of my budget) - $64.94

Brendan

*EDIT* apparently, the dumbass who wrote my title made it so misleading, that no one knew the ACTUAL question, so that's corrected now

Last edited:

adnj

Enlightened
Take a look at the CRKT Polkowski Kasper. I bought one on a whim and it holds a very nice edge.

8 1/2" overall. 3 9/16" partially serrated black Teflon coated AUS-6M stainless false edge tactical blade. Full tang. Black contoured polyoxymethelene handles. Includes dual black Zytel sheaths which allow multiple carry options.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Depends on your usage for this necker. If skinning is involved, it would rule out the utilhak ( wrong blade angle ) and the mini pitbull ( its more a caping but without the point )

For everyday carry on the neck expecially for mundane tasks, i have the utilhak hidden behind my workplace access card. Its especailly good when u need to use both hands without putting down the knife. Opening sacks and flour bags and such.

cyberspyder

Enlightened
no skinning is involved, i just want an 'everyday' knife that's easy to carry, and is there when i need it. looks like it's down to the Elite forces knife, and the HAK. will skin both knives. BTW, in my OP, i incorrectly said (typed) 'lanyard holes' when they are supposed to be 'lashing slots'

Brendan

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
I can not understand how a Spyderco Native is slow to come into action. if you learn the down flick, it is just as fast as trying to reach under a shirt and pull a sheath knife out. If you just want a small decent fixed, look at the moderate priced BRKT smaller knives, many with street prices around 60 to 70 dollars. Also look at the benchmade small fixed knives. well made too, and very useful shapes for under a benjamin.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I know you mentioned the price range you've set for a fixed blade, but if you can, try checking out the Microtech Currahee. Nice D2 steel bladed edged tool to be sure. I've got one in Desert Tan Camo and am really liking it!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Last edited:

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
The Becker Necker is a great choice but very difficult to find. Check out the Arclite https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=4 you can always cord wrap the handle. In the next month the new fixed blade Subcom will be out, it should be a good choice. There is also the new Buck Hartsook https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=115 but keep in mind this knife is small, only 4.25 overall.

Of the knives you have mentioned that I have heard pretty good things about the Pitbull and very good things about the HAK. I have had the chance to handle the HAK. Great knife, one of these days I am going to get one. If you still want to consider a folder check out the waved Spydercos and get a speed dialer for it. https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=125

cyberspyder

Enlightened
Sharpdogs said:
The Becker Necker is a great choice but very difficult to find. Check out the Arclite https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=4 you can always cord wrap the handle. In the next month the new fixed blade Subcom will be out, it should be a good choice. There is also the new Buck Hartsook https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=115 but keep in mind this knife is small, only 4.25 overall.

Of the knives you have mentioned that I have heard pretty good things about the Pitbull and very good things about the HAK. I have had the chance to handle the HAK. Great knife, one of these days I am going to get one. If you still want to consider a folder check out the waved Spydercos and get a speed dialer for it. https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=125

thanks alot, maybe i'll consider the Arclite and the SOG Fusion throwing knives, and cord wrap the handles. i need a set of cord wrapping instructions though, and i'd like to do a weave similar to Strider knives. i fully realize that they have a guide, except all they have are pictures. help!

Brendan

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
stay away from UC, they don't make very good blades, gerber is a little better but i doubt it would be something you would want. I would go with the becker necker, HAK. Also, those fusion throwing knives are made and temepered to be thrown, not cut so they won't take an edge very well

also, i doubt any folders will be any faster than a spyderco native unless its got a wave such as spyderco or emersons. wouldn't work as a neck knife though.

Last edited:

zulu45

Enlightened
+1 on the SOG Seal Pup. (Points to avatar). It's a great knife, and while the sheath it comes with is too bulky for EDC, a nice leather knife sheath isn't too expensive.