Fixed Chris Reeve Blades - which to choose ?

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

I am thinking of maybe buying one of Chris Reeve fixed blades because of the quality (?) and the hollow handle for generall outdoor use:
- Mk VI
- Shadow IV
- Mountaineer II
- Aviator

I like the Project Series but I recon they are maybe too big...

Which one would you recommend and why? What kind of gear do you have inside the handle and how good/bad is the handle; slippery? too thick?

Have anyone tried the saw on the Aviator and if so, how does it work?

Thank you for your time and advise! :)

PA

BurkStar

Newly Enlightened
The main difference between all of those knives is the blade shape, so it all depends on what you're going to use it for.

Inspgad

Newly Enlightened
If you're interested in the Aviator, you better hurry as it's supposed
to be discontinued (if not already discontinued).

guyg

Newly Enlightened
Of those mentioned, I would choose the Shadow. I like the blade shape (spearpoint). Fwiw, I have the Shadow 3.

Paladin

Enlightened
Here's a photo of the Shadow I (made in South Africa) and Shadow III. I like the spear point blades, and will eventually buy a Shadow IV. I bought the Shadow III because it is short enough to be legal for carry here in Texas.

Paladin
Captured_2007-7-29_00002.jpg

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Shadow III is definitely on my "To Buy" list. Probably the only hollow handled knife I'd ever get.

Really the differences are big vs. small (length, thickness, weight) and then configurations (guard style, tip style). And sheath!

strideredc

Enlightened
i have a shadow 1V and its a very solid knife. i would say 100% to getting one. the grinds are the best on any kinfe i own...

hurricane

Newly Enlightened
Any interest in the Green Berets or Pacific? If you're using the knife, having a full tang is an advantage if the handle breaks. I'm all hot and bothered about the CR Pacific. Hollow handles just sound like a point of weakness to me. Now, I've never seen the hollow handle models so perhaps that's unfounded.:shrug:

KIRWILLE

Newly Enlightened
=Per Arne;2759241]

- What kind of gear do you have inside the handle

Any good sugestions?

GreyShark

Enlightened
Hi,

I am thinking of maybe buying one of Chris Reeve fixed blades because of the quality (?) and the hollow handle for generall outdoor use:
- Mk VI
- Shadow IV
- Mountaineer II
- Aviator

Which one would you recommend and why? What kind of gear do you have inside the handle and how good/bad is the handle; slippery? too thick?

PA

Of those I would say the Mountaineer II is the best suited for general outdoor use because it has a single guard. That means you can comfortably place your thumb on the spine of the blade for greater control in a variety of whittling and cutting tasks. The Chris Reeve Skinner is similar in that respect.

Since you live in Norway where it undoubtedly gets very cold you should be aware that the one piece knives have metal handles. That means if you wear them on a sheath exposed to the elements they can get very cold which could be unpleasant if you use it with an ungloved hand. There are three ways around this problem. One is to wear gloves. Another is to cut a section of bicycle tire inner tube or other similar rubber tube and put it over the metal handle. Finally you can wear the knife on a cord around your neck and keep it under your coat when you aren't using it.

I own a Project and use it as a general purpose outdoors knife. I don't find it to be too large at all. I think it is right sized. I find it easier to get a big knife to do small knife tasks than to get a small knife to do big knife tasks. YMMV.

BTW, there is no way you're going to ever break a Chris Reeve handle. They're cut from a solid bar of steel, integral to the blade and stronger than you could imagine. I'm real hard on knives and my Reeve is still working after almost a decade and a half. A full tang knife would have shed its handle slabs on me years ago.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

- Mk VI
- Shadow IV
- Mountaineer II
- Aviator

PA
Are you going to actually USE the knife? If yes, I'd say save your money a buy a tough knife.

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
I have had two Aviators , and enjoyed them very much . I live in Canada , similar climate to where you live , I never had any real issues with cold . The Knives are the strongest hollow handles in the bussiness , as they are machined out of a solid billet , not soldered together . With the CRK line there aren't any bad choices .

Chris

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the Neil Roberts Warrior Knife any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It is by far the best made, most well thought out, and most comfirtable piece of kit I own.

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

Thank you for your advise. I have now ordered Chris Reeve's model Mountaineer II and hopefully it would soon be in Norway :twothumbs

This is some of the gear I hope will fit in the handle:
- the SAS NATO Brass Compass PYSER SGI FB 1650
- the TAD Gear New Brass Survival Spark w/ Needle and Thread (also ordered today)
- a spark lite tinder quik tab or two...
- a small Candle...
- survival matches...
- ...... any advice ??

About the cold days, I thought I would see if the Nite Ize Grip 'n Clip AA neoprene sleeve would fit the handle... :thinking:

And YES, I have plans to USE IT as I lost a very good knife last autumn :eek: :ohgeez:

Thanks again for your time :)

PA

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look for my Spy Capsule posts at edcforums.com, I listed a crapload of stuff that fits in the small capsules and knife handles.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Mountaineer II and it's awesome. I bet you could drive a semi truck over that handle and it would just laugh. It is SHOCKING to me that the entire line would be discontinued!! I think I just took mine off the trade block....

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was also surprised to hear that the one piece line is being discontinued.

Just put in an order for a single-guard Shadow III this morning, can't wait!