flashlight for long hiking and expeditions

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
are they that floody ??
take any of Your led lights and remove the focusing device (reflector/optic).
Check beam.
Thats what they will be
--> imho totally useless - except for someone who only wants to read
;)

... the "typical" led light has about 8 degree beam, the Zebras with reflectors offer about 12 deg.
Thats floody enough and a very good compromise.

Lights without focusing device will always need a much higher mode and will be useless for quicker walking/running ...
and will eat through Your batteries ...

nice pic, heres an actual one from me, showing the "eastern end" of the Alps ...
c5btsvb9qfho2seju.jpg

that place is up on 2000 m, a very warm day ...
;)

Lone

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys after reading all of the feedback i'm seriously thinking about hitting that buy button on the H51W .
any last thoughts/ suggestions?

Lone

Newly Enlightened
Well i just bought the H51W.
you guys are real pros. i thank you all for you help and promise to update this thread with pictures from my upcoming Slovenian Alps crossing and feedback on the H51W in action.

thanks again for your time incredible knowledge and amazing patience while helping an unenlightened person like myself.
:wave:

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Jorn & Ezeriel, I spent 10 days in Norway (mostly in the fjords around Flam) during the summer of 1984, and it was possibly the most incredible place I've ever been....it is a true summer paradise. Lots of blue-eyed blondes too...ha.

Lone,

I don't know if this will help you, but in recent years I went through a couple of dozen headlamps before finding what truly worked best for me for my morning runs before sun up not to mention all of my camping/hiking trips with my family and with scouts. My favorite AA headlamp for running, walking, or hiking is still the Zebralight H51 or the H51w. For night hiking or night running, especially in the woods, you need some throw to see up ahead. A pure flood light like my H501w works, but not very well. Like someone else said, you'd have to mostly run it on max to see ahead a little ways which would burn up your batteries. For night hiking I think you should get the H51w. The neutral tint just looks better, and the light has plenty of flood/spill. I use scotch tape to convert my H51 & H51w to flood lights, and this works well around the campsite. Also, the UI on the zebralights is genius, simple, and the most useful of any other light I've owned....get one and you will understand.

I think the build quality on these lights is just fine. I own 5 Zebralights, and haven't had any problems with any of them. I'd still recommend you have a back-up light though that runs on the same battery type because anything can fail.

Hope you report back after your trip to give us a full review of whatever light(s) you choose.

Last edited: