Flashlight Photography- Light Painting 101

jellydonut

Enlightened
I've tried 'light painting' with long exposures, the photo just ends up blurry and having multiple shadows. :mad: I use a tripod indoors, what on earth is causing the stupid thing to blur my photos? Maybe if I had more patience I would figure it out but some times the behavior of a digital camera, even with everything on manual, is completely impossible and illogical. Like trying to take care of a toddler. :shakehead

chanjyj

Enlightened
I've tried 'light painting' with long exposures, the photo just ends up blurry and having multiple shadows. :mad: I use a tripod indoors, what on earth is causing the stupid thing to blur my photos? Maybe if I had more patience I would figure it out but some times the behavior of a digital camera, even with everything on manual, is completely impossible and illogical. Like trying to take care of a toddler. :shakehead

This may sound like a simple question but: did you focus on the subject before you started painting? Was your focus continuous-on?

jcw122

Enlightened
Frisco...light painting is one of the coolest photographic techniques ever. I've always wanted to get into it, but haven't had the chance. Great work!

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
An awesome picture, and an excellent example of light painting.

I find it a fairly useful technique when trying to capture large areas in the dark/at night - you can open the shutter then vary how long you light various areas to get nice even lighting front to back, or add in a bit of creativity and highlight points of interest of subjects.

My avatar is another example of what can be done with torches and cameras capable of long exposures - that example somewhat on the sillier end, but instead of 'painting' your subject with light, aim it back at the camera and you can 'draw' in the air. Amusing, though I don't know what my neighbours must have thought about me waving a torch madly around in my garden...