Flashlights in TV shows and movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_Campen

Enlightened
Flashlights in "The Guardian" movie.

I just watchd the movie "The Guardian", with a plot involving Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers. The was very little in the way of flashlights. In the Coast Guard barracks room there were some rechargeable Mag lights mounted on the wall. But when these guys went into the ocean it seemed they had no flashlights/helmet lights etc. - whenever they needed illumination they would have to ignite a flare.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlights in "The Guardian" movie.

Edited, thread merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dr_Joe said:
:drool: I drool everytime I see a Maxabeam in a movie or TV show.

Did anyone notice there was a SF-E1E clipped to the shoulder of Lara Croft's wet suit in the second movie ?

What's wrong with me :ohgeez: here's Angelina Jolie, dripping wet in a skin tight wet suit and I'm looking at her flashlight :twak:

LOL, i saw the movie before i was a flashaholic. i was looking at angelina jolie,not the light. maybe someday i will dig out the disc and look out for the E1E.
i was NORMAL!!!111oneoneone :p

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone see the flashlight in Sympathy for Lady Vengeance?

It was a 3 cell Surefire with a turbohead, but I'm not sure which model. It was very clearly shown.

I highly recommend the movie; it was a good one. Someone more knowledgeable than myself should watch it and determine what the flashlight was, exactly.

Last edited:

dragoman

Enlightened
Re: Flashlights used in TV's 'Supernatural'

I've also identified a Surefire E2E-GM with the teardrop shaped marks on the bezel.....

Interesting how they add the "click" sound when they twist on the M4s and E2s.....pretty sure they're not clickies as they definately twist them on...

dragoman

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the current episode of "Bones" (4th Oct), they used Gladii. Seems to be a permament extension, since all main characters had one, while the guest star had the standard SL Scorpion (incan). And Bones did not took good care of her equipment. She arrived fresh on the scene with empty batteries; the Gladius blinked.

The teaser ended with a beautiful overhead shot with three (or were there four?) Gladii beams nicely exposed shining up (is this now already a spoiler for non-flashaholics?).

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning when I was eating breakfast I flicked through the channels and spotted Kolchak The Night Stalker on SciFi with Darrin Macgavin, one of my fav shows when I was a kid. While watching I saw he was using an old chrome Eveready Penlight :) ahh memories, I remember using one about that time too, lol.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Last night on "Jericho" where the kid came upon a stopped train, it looked like he had a Mag 4D (which I have). I thought it was 'cause the shape looked awfully familiar. Except the light beam appeared to be from an incan bulb, whereas I have Diamond DB-3W drop-in in mine. Can anyone verify that it was a Mag 4D on the show?

BTW, I don't watch the show. I was just killing time until "Criminal Mind" came on, and just wanted to get a better idea what the show was about.

Last edited:

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Does anyone know which flashlight Samuel L. Jackson uses when he has one in his mouth in the new movie SNAKES ON A PLANE?

Duff72

Newly Enlightened
the show jericho has tons of flashlights. after nuke blast and no power everyone carries lights at night, mostly mags (with no trucks coming in and no electricity to recharge where do they get all of those d cells) no conservation either if 2 people walk together they dont share a light ,they just use 2.

jlowe2

Newly Enlightened
this is my first post since joining this forum so now i will be looking for flashlights in all the shows i watch! man, i have so much to learn about the different lights!:popcorn:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
jlowe2 said:
this is my first post since joining this forum so now i will be looking for flashlights in all the shows i watch! man, i have so much to learn about the different lights!:popcorn:
Welcome to CPF Jlowe2.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is amazing were in tv shows we can find the flashlight revolution...

Check this out, this tv show is called South Park...

setImgWidth();

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

dragoman said:
Interesting how they add the "click" sound when they twist on the M4s and E2s.....pretty sure they're not clickies as they definately twist them on...

dragoman

Speaking as a sound editor, this is very common. There are various things on shows which will be silent in life (phone buttons, computer graphics, fridges,dogs sidelong looks, safety catches, car central locking, torches etc.) but the addition of a click, beep, growl, etc will be deemed necessary 'for dramatic intent'.

Not always logical but it keeps me in torches and batteries!!

Be lucky...

PS - I hear it rumoured that, on set, Lightsabres don't go 'Vwoooommmmmm' :naughty:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I starting watching CSI: NY on DVD, and they definitely use Surefire A2s now, mostly with red LEDs, though there also seems to be a blue one there.

Seems like stock A2s, with the twisty, except that they sometimes click. Not always, though. Weird, that.

The sound FX are also one of my pet peeves. Not with regards to flashlights, but guns. 'Cause it's not a gun unless it clicks EVERY time it's brought up to aim.

Last edited:

pathalogical

Enlightened

Nyctophiliac said:
Speaking as a sound editor, this is very common. There are various things on shows which will be silent in life (phone buttons, computer graphics, fridges,dogs sidelong looks, safety catches, car central locking, torches etc.) but the addition of a click, beep, growl, etc will be deemed necessary 'for dramatic intent'.

Not always logical but it keeps me in torches and batteries!!

Be lucky...

PS - I hear it rumoured that, on set, Lightsabres don't go 'Vwoooommmmmm' :naughty:
Or when a late model car with ABS doing 5 mph comes to a screeching stop !

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
Watched AVP last night and all the Maxabeams in that show got me seriously wanting one. But you just gotta love it when 3 people in a dark room are using 3 maxabeams to look at something up close :sssh: I'm sure it was shot in a lit room, but it still whited out what they were looking at. :lolsign:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made the error and turned on the commentary on AVP. Man, the director/writer is dense. He spent a great deal bitching and moaning about "those expensive flashlights" (re the Maxabeams), and that they got only three of those, cos they're soooo expensive, and that they had lighting problems because of it. Of course, I know what they cost and what they can do, that film companies can rent them (and what this costs), and how high the budget was. Mr. Anderson, quit bitching. The movie did flop because you're a hack, not because you could only afford three Maxabeams.

Status
Not open for further replies.