Flashlights instead of lanterns?

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I've been updating my flashlights recently as part of improved preparedness for...whatever. Recently bought Fenix LD20 (great light!) and a E20. The other things I'd thought about were lanterns. Bought a RayOVac after reading CPF. Now considering Flavolight. However, since most of my use will be inside home in case of power outages, I wonder if I shouldn't just buy more flashlights (an appealing thought!). I bought a diffuser for LD20. It works well. I have also found that with my white ceilings, simply shining a flashlight (even a 2AA magLED) at the ceiling works really well for lighting the room.

This leads me to think that another 2AA light from Fenix (or maybe EagleTAC or Quark) is my best bet since a flashlight makes a pretty good lantern, although a lantern does not make such a good flashlight.

I'm telling ya'll this to solicit opinions on the subject and also on the specific question of what good quality D-cell flashlights with multiple levels and longer runtimes than the 2AA lights are available. The only D cell I find mentioned much is the Maglite. I like the new Rebel MAG, but it does not have a low setting for longer battery life.

Can any of ya'll give me some good suggestions for this? Thanks.

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
We have frequent power outages also & I really like how handy the little Fenix P2D has been tailstanding with the white diffuser on it.

The Solar Force L2 has a pretty cool lantern accessory also:
http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...hts-Type-II-Black-Anodized-Finish_p_2813.html

I have a couple lights with diffusers that have made the lanterns pretty much unecessary when camping or during power outages.
Still have a couple oil lanterns, but gave away the battery powered ones. Clips on the lanyards allow them to hang from tent ceilings.

Ian2381

Enlightened
You probably have more flashlights that you'll ever need. :poke:
But buying new lights is really fun.:D
Maybe you need to stock up on batteries, Lithiums and Low discharge rechargeable batteries (eneelops).:twothumbs

I'm currently modding my common LED lanterns with Cree LEDS. Making output really great and usefull.
Maybe modding your OLD lights is an option.

pae77

Enlightened
I agree about getting more rechargeable batteries. You don't need outrageous runtime if you have 20 AA's or 14500's lying around ready to go.

Another option along the lines of using flashlights instead of lanterns is to get several inexpensive LED flashlights that use really efficient and nice tint Cree emitters. There are several good choices available in the $20 to $30 price range, or perhaps even less. If the lights are being purchased to be used mainly in an emergency or power outage to bounce off the ceiling, they don't have to have the greatest UI or looks. They just have to be reasonably bright and efficient and ideally able to tailstand.

The Romisen RC-G2 at $12 from Deal Extreme with its head (reflector) unscrewed and removed makes a nice floody lantern according to this post and the video link therein. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=3408355&postcount=7

I love my H501w because of the quality, neutral tint, pure flood, form factor and the small size for an AA light, and the multi levels and easy UI, but you can't beat the price on something like the RC-G2 and by getting several of them, you could light up an entire house with a bunch of AA batteries for very little money.

Last edited:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you are going to get more use off of a headlamp/flood light like a Zebralight H501 or just need to buy a diffuser for your lights that you already have. Scotch tape will transform a concentrated beam into a flood light. Or even a chapstick cap on your little AAA lights does the trick.:poke:

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I use my light as a lantern or what I call the candle mode and shine it off my ceiling also. I use a 2XAA light and it will run at least 3 days maybe more still testing it on two AA lithium batteries that is running constant with out shutting it off. The output is about 6-9 lumen from what I was told and its bright enough to light up my living room.

DavidZ

Newly Enlightened
I have been considering the same thing. With all of the powerful lights out now, I would think that a very bright adjustable lantern would come out for camping. There would be plenty of room for batteries, even extras, that you could switch over to, like a reserve, as well as plenty of room for electronics. Plus, I could get rid of my propane with mantle lanterns - Always looking for my spare mantles - what a pain!

KingCanada

Newly Enlightened
For outdoor lighting, it is hard to beat a dual mantle propane lantern. For indoor preparedness for things like a power outage, maybe it would be wise to invest in a generator...

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the good replies. I have started buying some more batteries, and in particular have started using eneloops. I like the eneloops not only for their better performance and overall savings, but especially because my recent round of research and purchase of flashlights was started when a couple of my beloved maglites were ruined by leaking alkalines (did not expect to be learning about batteries when I came here...who knew?).

Again, thanks for the suggestions, I've about talked myself in to the idea of buying another LD20 or maybe an L2T. It has really surprised me how much a value the lower output settings (16 lumens and below) on these lights. MOre than enough for lighting a room while playing a board game with the kids during the next outage. I may even throw in an E01 for use with a chapstick cap on it (I like that image).:)

Maybe I need a quark with its ultra low moonlight output for a night light?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You'd be surprised how good some of the plastic bottles you normally throw away function as diffusers. The bottle from flavored half & half is particularly effective.

Geoff

pae77

Enlightened
Eneloops are great and easy to care for, especially if you have a good charger like a Maha C9000 which helps you get the most out of them. After using mostly Eneloops for the past several years, I'm just starting to get into lithium rechargeables. They certainly are fun with the increased brightness they provide, especially if you have lights that are designed to handle them safely and well.

Yeah, I'm always on the lookout for good diffuser candidates amongst bottles and caps I come across. I'm still looking for a chapstick cap available in the US that will fit my new LF2XT. It's amazing to me how well that little light can light up a room on a single AAA Eneloop or 10440. Looking forward to getting a AA version of that light someday if they ever make one.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like you, I also learned about batteries from CPF.

I also have lots of power outages so I'm always on the lookout for new lighting sources. I bought a lantern a couple of months ago for the first time, a Coleman Packaway, specifically for the same blackout use that you were talking about. I absolutely love it. I took it with me on vacation recently to try it out in my pitch black hotel room in the early morning hours when my girlfriend was still sound asleep and I had to get up early to get ready to go out to Disneyland. It worked perfectly. I used it while making breakfast, combing my hair, brushing my teeth, and going to the bathroom. WHen set on low, it lit up the room with plenty of light for all those tasks without waking her up. If I used it on high, which I did when I was in the bathroom, I could easily read the newspaper with it.

I also took along my brand new Fenix MC10 Angle Light and it too worked out great. I clipped it to my belt and it's floody beam with the included diffuser made it very easy to still have both hands free while pointing the light exactly where I wanted it every single time. With it set on low, it too didn't wake up my girlfriend each morning.

On my trip, my most used lights were my Coleman Packaway lantern and my Fenix MC10. The only times that I used my Fenix LD20 was at Disneyland navigating through the caves on Tom Sawyer Island and making our way through the crowds late at night. I didn't take out my LD20 at all in the hotel room, unlike on past vacations before I had my lantern or my MC10.

So, I'd say get flashlights and a lantern. They all have their distinct functions and they excel at them. I'm a lantern convert though and I definitely think that every home should have at least one for blackouts.

Last edited: