Flashlights on Airplanes Now? Post 8-10-06

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't bet on it. With the exceptionally high salaries that TSA offers for their screeners for the arduous tasks that they must perform, they don't always (or should I say "they seldom") attract the cream of the crop. It's like expecting anyone of the 3/4 million postal employees to be experts on mailing regulations.

PoliceScannerMan said:
I'm sure that any TSA agent knows what a Surefire light is, and how a flashlight works.

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan said:
I'm sure that any TSA agent knows what a Surefire light is, and how a flashlight works.

Oh don't be so sure. I was passing through the check point in Ft. Lauderdale in June when the the TSA guy asked about my Surefire T-Shirt, you know Smaller Brighter etc. He had never heard of Surefire but seemed truly interested, in something. "it's like a Maglite, right?" as he tried twisting the head on my 9p. Well, not really, i said. We didn't discuss prices but we had fun flashing my lights around the airport ceiling and attracting much attention. No problem going through, but neither him nor his partner had a clue. They said they were going to check em' out at the police supply shop. I was wishing I could be there when they hear the prices.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
PSM your joking right? I've meet TSA people that didn't know what could possibly be inside a box of surefire batteries, when it said 'surefire batteries' on the box. I was also once told I couldn't check Swiss army knifes because they were too 'dangerous' of course a quick word with the guy in charge cleared this up, but I really think the normal TSA preson has NO real knowledge of lights, knives, or guns. They simply know what's on the list and what isn't.

I used to travel quite often, and even then I would come across the random TSA guy/gal on a power trip that would take a light away under the 'blunt club like objects' statement, even if the light was just 6 inchs long.

Personally I would NO WAY EVER AGAIN try to carry on anything more then a maglite solitaire. I highly doubt they'll let you have that.

I hate to be separated from my gear (mostly my phone, knives, and lights, in that order) but the bottom line is that as of yesterday, we now live in a world which you never again will be able to take anything that could conceivably be used as a weapon, or be used to conceal a weapon, onto a plane.

Check your lights guys, even if it isn't on the 'bad' list, the best chance your looking at about getting to keep your stuff is 50/50

Again, the strict guidelines here in the U.S. do not include flashlights. I have flown with LOTS of lights (up until yesterday) and the most flak I ever received from the inspectors was, "Wow, how come you have so many flashlights?" No one has ever threatened to take them away. Even with yesterday's announcement I'll still take my EDC lights onboard. If they ever tried to take them away, I'd just say, no thanks, I'll drive instead.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Well, there I go assuming again. I dont fly much, 3 times my whole life. You would think the people who basically our life depends on checking the carry on items, would have a lil knowledge in the surefire dept. :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
More often than not, they may have just been people in need of some form of employment to pay the rent and bills, not that they necessarily had an interest in the work or knew anything about the nature of the work.

Back in the late 60's, I had to go out on ride-alongs with some local cops as part of a research project. The more seasoned guys were all but shocked that people actually went to college to learn about law enforcement work. Many were WWII veterans and their response was "Hell, we had just gotten home from the war and needed a job" While I suspect that most of those guys are no longer with us, I'm sure they would be amazed at the advancements that have occurred, and would be even more surprised that most cops in most urban environments almost assuredly have some sort of college education.

I think a good number of the TSA screeners may have gotten into that line of work with that same need; they needed a paycheck.

PoliceScannerMan said:
Well, there I go assuming again. I dont fly much, 3 times my whole life. You would think the people who basically our life depends on checking the carry on items, would have a lil knowledge in the surefire dept. :)

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
While speculation and FUD are popular in web discussions, do remember that business customers are the life-blood of almost all passenger airlines. With that in mind, and considering the impact that a prohibition against electronic items could have on the business traveller, I'd suspect that there will be an expedited means of more selective detection available very soon. If they weren't willing to sacrifice some degree of safety in the interest of the business traveller's dollar, they probably wouldn't allow anything with a LIon battery on the plane and the potential that it may 'explode'.

Besides, even the most dumbfounded person on a flight could probably find something that is already in the pax cabin that could be used as an ignition source. Surely flashaholics already know that there are emergency flashlights on board?

You are correct, but TSA is the one making the rules. The TSA guys will get paid no matter what. The airlines and fliers are the ones that will lose at the end.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
270Winchester, I hope you'll let us know your outcome with your experience going through airport security next week on your Asia trip, because I too am going to Asia but some time after your trip.If you have to relinquish your lights, I guess mine will be going into the check-in luggage.

pizzaman

Enlightened
I had the distinct pleasure of flying from Ontario CA to Seattle WA yesterday (08-10-2006). We made sure we had all our liquids, gels, creams, ointments, deodorants, lubes, and other fluid or gelatinous items in our checked bags. As a personal protest, I carried a tube of non-metallic lip balm in my front pocket. Otherwise, I carried a well stocked day pack for carry-on.

Our checked bags had to be taken directly to the x-ray machines stationed near the ticket counters. The TSA employees were asking all passengers if they had any firearms in their checked bags and asked if the bags were unlocked (I don't lock my bags anymore, but I do put a 1" split ring through the zipper latch to keep bags from inadvertently opening and to slow down any fast handed baggage handling thieves).

At the first security checkpoint it seemed to be the usual routine. I had all manner of goodies in my daypack (FRS radios, digital camera, cell phone, MP3 player, PSK-personal survival kit, pens, keys, and spare batteries of multiple types, etc). My carry-on flashlight entourage included the Inova X5, Inova X1, Gerber Infinity Ultra, Arc AAA-P, and Fenix L1P. Not even a second glance at my bag or lights. My son had a set of toy handcuffs (metal) in his bag that scooted straight through. I saw one woman get her purse searched.

Since liquids are not really the domain of x-ray machines I figured that there would be an increase of hand inspection of carry-on bags, but this did not seem to be the case.

I was pretty disappointed that I could not carry any water on board. I had planned on purchasing water after I was through the check point then taking it on the plane. They were warning passengers that any beverages purchased in the "safe area" could not be taken aboard the plane. While the TSA has now begun random searches at the gate (I witnessed one gentleman having his bag searched just before he gave his ticket to the gate attendant), I don't think this would be an effective tactic to prohibit someone from buying and carrying a dangerous can of Mr. Pibb or Fresca on board.

The biggest change for me was the longer than normal wait at the gate, due to the "2 hour before flight requirement" and the "denial of hydration" till the flight attendants run the beverage cart down the narrow aisle.

Anyway, The TSA is going to do what the TSA is going to do, but regarding carrying flashlights on airplanes it seemed to be pretty much business as usual. I still use my standard tactic of never carrying anything on a plane that would devastate me if it was confiscated.

Good luck, TR

Last edited:

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is good news pizzaman. My advice however still stands, you still run the chance of getting a TSA guy that will take your stuff no matter what.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Ive flown 10,000 miles since the UK arrests, well, only two flights but they were long ones ;)

The total ban that people are talking about is JUST out of the UK. And it includes things like laptops. I left Sydney for Los Angeles on the morning of the 11th. When I arrived at the airport I was asked if I was on United to the US and I said I was and I was given a bright red sheet of paper with the new rules. The said no liquids or gels and only 1 carryon per person. They also told us that if we bought anything liquid at the duty free or other stores after security they would be confiscated at the gate.

Security was very thorough, everyones shoes off but not bad lines. They called business class to board the flight 90 minutes before departure (twice as long as normal). Coach was probably called about 30 minutes before that. When I got to the gate area they were re-searching everyone before they would let them in the gate area. This included a hand search of each bag and a hand search of each person. They had about 8 people searching bags and 3 or 4 frisking the people. The plane was a sold out 744-400 so it was a lot of people. I went though both the regular security and the gate security with an A2 and an Arc P in my backpack. They were being very strict about liquids though. I also had a pack of spare Surefire batteries in the backpack, the screener took them out to see what they were and put them back.

On the flight I was on the upper deck and it was pretty dark so I would use the LEDs when I was getting stuff out of my pack or out of the storage lockers that are next to the window seats (where I was sitting). They also had some sandwiches out for people during the flight and I used the A2 to light them up for both myself and another guy to see which one of the couple types of sandwiches we were getting. The flight attendant noticed this and said, "Gee, that is really a great idea to have a flashlight with you".

When I got to LA I had to go through security again. Again, there were lots of warning about liquids but I sailed through security with my two lights. For now it doesnt seem to be a problem anywhere but the UK. Time will tell though. I have 3 flights to London booked and one more in which the date isnt final between now and mid-November. Im evaluating booking the one not set yet through some other city or maybe direct (going to Rome). Had wanted to spend a day or two in London but will wait it out a few days before booking.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Job security for DHS and TSA, people are gonna be so fed up with flying especially 8 hour or more flights without say a DVD player or an Ipod (it's coming as soon as those jackasses figure out how to do it) that eventually people are gonna turn back and go home, I was scheduled for an overseas flight but AA sent me an email for either a postponement or refund, I opted refund. They are too busy hassling everyone about the products but not the person. They should be profiling pax not hassling grandma about her bottled water. There could be a hidden agenda to nationalize airlines and here in the USA have seen how that worked with AMTRAK. Who knows maybe it will bring back the steamship.:dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
O.K.

This is the final straw!

The terrorists can blow up our embassies, our naval ships, knock down our buildings, shut down offices and post offices due to chemical weopons scares, kill our soldiers, kidnap and kill our citizens, kidnap and kill civilians from other countries, shoot and kill their kinsmen that disagree with them, behead those that oppose them, destabilize entire nations, attack soveriegn countries and so on and so on...

But I will REALLY be fed up if they take away my flashlight from me when I am flying in an airplane. Enough is enough man I think that it is clear that when my flashlights are at risk, that I gotta do something to stop these clowns!

Who could have seen this coming? Maybe if we knew that it would come to this, we would have opposed them more vigorously sooner than now.

Jeeeze:mad:

You can have my flashlight when you pry it from my........

-Goatee

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
nice, personally I'll avoid air travel till this dies down....
I feel the same way but my survival antennae tell me no one wants to admit this is WW3 and that things are gonna get a lot worse. this is a new dangerous world we live in.

lebox97

Enlightened
good point...
and not just women's breast implants - any implant, or things ingested/inserted (from either end)

bottom line: "where there is will, there is a way"
I sure wish people would just get along! :awman:
:grouphug:

Jvalera said:
They overlooked something.... WOMENS BREAST IMPLANTS! their suicidal anyway

Last edited: