Flood Beam Headlamp List - 2011

sakurama

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bolster,

Well your thread over at Garage Journal got me to join this site. I've read all your links, then another few hundred posts here and now I think the one that suits me the most or at least interests me the most is the Surefire Saint but I've not found any information on the "Vision" you mention. If Surefire is slow to introduce this has anyone modified a Saint for a "high CRI" light?

Thanks for starting me on this as another avenue for OCD. :thinking:

There seems like a big jump from the Saint to what are $500-1000 caving specific lights. Still reading and researching...

G

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting question...I don't know...probably deserves its own thread. I don't recollect seeing anybody modifying a Saint, but perhaps it's been done...?

carrot

Flashaholic
Interesting question...I don't know...probably deserves its own thread. I don't recollect seeing anybody modifying a Saint, but perhaps it's been done...?

I think I heard about somebody attempting it but I don't remember the outcome. All I know is it seems like it would be very difficult because the two halves of the light appear to be epoxied together.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
May 3 2011 - Updated with "rumors" about the H502 and H302, due end of the year or beginning of next.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Princeton Tec Corona
Efficiency: 90 lumens (8 leds) max, 30 hours regulated. Midrange (5 leds) lumens unknown (guessing 56), 38 hours regulated. Was considered a runtime champ in 2004.
Cells: 3xAA batteries. Water: Water Resistant.
Beam Angle: Vtunderground reports 30 degrees by protractor. Center weighted "floody" beam. Blue tint. Price: Around $50 or less.

As a small correction/update... Per the Corona owners manual, Alkaline regulated runtime on 8 hi is 1 hour, 5 hi is 3 hours, 3 hi is 6 hours and 1 hi is 20 hours.

Here are my runtime measurements with Eneloop NiMH's:

8 hi - 4.5 hours (90 lumens)
8 lo - 9.75 hours (45 lumens estimated)

5 hi - 6.75 hours (56 lumens estimated)

I haven't done any further testing, due to the amount of time involved (1 lo should give an estimated 77 hours of regulated runtime!)

blubricks

Newly Enlightened
May 3 2011 - Updated with "rumors" about the H502 and H302, due end of the year or beginning of next.
:-( Was looking forward to having one for my upcoming backpacking excursion. TBT, I've been eyeballing all the XM-L's but everyone seems to be slow to incorporate. No money in the tills, I imagine. Suppose I'll have to keep looking.:sick2:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snipped from another thread's discussion, so we can talk about it here...

I also think it would be more helpful if the entries were more complete. Maybe people who have those headlamps can post a more complete synopsis and Bolster can (if he wishes) keep editing the original post.

For instance (and no offense meant here) the lights that he likes are more complete than those he isn't as interested in :) However the point of the thread should be to make it easy to compare features of all the headlamps since everyones idea of important features is different. Otherwise only Zebralights would be included :)

As an example the review for the BD Storm is pretty bare bones and wouldn't cause anyone reading this to consider the Storm :)

Actually I do think the negative points are important to include (for all of the headlamps however). Too many reviews only include the positives. An impartial review will usually include positive and negatives and will not draw any conclusions or make recommendations (IMO).

I'm the newbie to headlamps here so no Alpha Dog effect intended :)

Good points you make.

(1) I would very much like to see a Spot Beam Headlamp List. I don't think I'm the guy to do it, I don't know much about these spot options so I'd not know where to start. But I'd sure read it and contribute if there were one.

(2) Regarding completeness...I've tried not to be too "reviewy" or judgmental in the original post; I'm trying to get just the basics, a list; enough to create awareness so people can research the lights on their own without the nagging feeling they're missing a floody light option they might want to consider. My #1 desire for the list is that it have an entry for every known (obtainable) floody light.

I'm primarily trying to pin down: (a) cell type (b) beam spread (c) a few runtimes, generally a top and a mid level (d) tint (e) evenness of beam (f) approximate price (g) waterproofing. If I go into much detail based on existing CPF discussions I get complaints that I'm "plagarizing" (as you have seen) so I like a minimalist approach.

Where I could improve the post dramatically is tracking down the good review threads. I've done that in a few places but it could be much better. Could I ask those reading, to post good review links in this thread? And as always, I would like to add missing floody lights as I can.

(3) Regarding the BD storm, Szemhazai has posted a good, current review of that light. However, Szemhazi has been quite vocal about his dislike of me and my posts, so I won't incorporate any of his postings or opinions as that would certainly cause him additional offense. However I will link to his review, and hopefully he will contact me privately if he wants me to remove the link.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! Feel free to post what needs to be added to this thread. Some photo credits are missing; if you spot your photo please let me know and I'll credit you for it. Thanks.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone else mentioned...I think Szemhazai was just having a bad day.

I can see your point of trying to just have a basic list of headlamps where the reader can then do their own research.

I was just looking at it from the viewpoint of having a basic list of headlamps where it was easier to make some basic comparisons before doing research on the more promising units. but I see your point as well.

I know when I was trying to learn more about the more common headlamps I found it a little frustrating to try to remember which models had which basic features. Most reviews (in general and not just here on CPF) talk about how great a headlamp is with out really listing the negative points as well or without pointing out what features it doesn't have that might be common in others.

I don't know quite what the easiest and best way to do this would be however. I just like to know if a unit has a spot, frosted spot, flood, red LED, what the high and low settings are, waterproof, glare issues, how you change setting etc. The XP 2 for instance has a spot but includes a diffuser, the Eos has a frosted spot but no flood. The BD Spot and Storm have a frosted spot and a flood.

I never really ran into a comparison chart anywhere that listed these basic things. That doesn't mean we need to change your thread to include those things however :) I was just thinking out loud :)

tedh

Newly Enlightened
If I can jump into your discussion here - I like the idea of the floody list. It's an important feature to a lot of headlamp users. I think additional lists for additional features would be great. A list of all neutral headlamps, and so on. What I would really like to see is a master list of all good quality headlamps. But, it's too much work, I think, for anyone to take on at this point. Nearly as good would be a list of all the headlamps reviews - and not to put words in your mouth, gcbryan, that looks to be what you're doing with the comparison thread you started. Once we get all of this stuff stickied they will be great resources to all users. The two types of lists, the master review list and the specific feature lists, really go together, I think.

Ted

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks tedh. What's the linked image file? It's not displaying. Some kind of a screenshot?

tedh

Newly Enlightened
I have no idea what that is, or how it got there. I'll edit the post to remove it.

Ted

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Ultrafire UF-H2B, another Floody Beam Headlamp using one AA cell

I recently came across a non-ZL headlamp that has a pure flood beam (totally even with no hot spot) – The Ultrafire UF-H2B

After discussion with Bolster he asked me to post what I noticed about this light, so here goes (not a proper review, but hopefully some useful info).
This is a right angle light with a top clicky, a (removable) top mounted clip. It runs on 1xAA battery. I haven't used it extensively, but so far am pretty happy with it (especially considering the price I paid). My observations so far (with differences to H501 noted):

· Obvious copy of the Zebralight H501, but longer (86mm vs 72mm).

· Single click for on/off, double click for SOS, Press and hold for IBS (infinite brightness setting) with memory, but the ramping is a bit quick.

· Much stiffer switch (won't get switched on accidentally).

· Quite well manufactured (threads etc).

· Anodizing is pretty hard, with a satin black finish.

· There is significant parasitic drain when switched off (as noted by others). I measured 4mA, which would drain an AA eneloop in about 21 days. I leave mine with the tailcap slightly unscrewed to stop it flattening the battery. But I also do this with all my ZL lights, as their soft switch means they are easy to switch on accidentally.

· Works fine on an AA eneloop (that is the only battery I have used in it).

· Nice even beam, a bit colder (bluer) than my H501 (but not annoyingly cold to my eyes, and my H501 has one of the nicest tints of all my "cool white" LED lights).

· Slightly wider beam than H501 (but still quite even – 160cm vs 150cm width at 100cm).

· Slightly less bright than my H501 on Hi, very similar on Lo.

· Has a quite strong magnet in the tail.

· Nice packaging.

· Has a very robust clip, but the clip would need to be removed to use it as a headlamp with the supplied soft rubber mount and strap.

· Good value for money (I bought mine from DinoDirect for $US 28.14 )

· Link to Ultrafire UF-H2B headlamp/tasklight :
http://www.dinodirect.com/UltraFire-UF-H2-CREE-Q5-150-Lumens-Headlight-Task-Light.html?cur=USD

I don't know whether it will immediately replace my much-loved H501, but it is shaping up. to be an excellent back-up ("one is none, two is one" etc....).

I also bought some very cheap "Bright 5 LED Headlamp for Camping (3*AAA)" to give away to the unprepared when I go camping. (I hate lending my good lights to anyone, especially when I have no idea how well or badly they will be treated. These are perfect for that purpose (where my $0.40c fauxtons aren't the right light). My observations based on my limited use to date:

· Very good value for money.

· Has 5 x 5mm LEDS, quite a cold "tint" but fine for "non-flashaholics.

· Beam pattern is a bit like a H51F – at 100cm it has a 60cm centre bright zone, with a smooth transition to a much wider spill (but unlike a H51F there are quite a few beam artifacts in the spill).

· Has a bit more throw than a ZL H501, which I suppose is sort of "damming with faint praise ;)

· Very compact (bare light without the strap bracket is 58mm (w), 40mm (h), 38mm(t).

· The light slides out of the strap bracket, can be placed on a horizontal surface to shine up at about a 45° angle, and also has a strong magnet on the back, so is quite versatile.

· Strap is not long enough for big heads wearing beanies.

· Fixed angle (but seems to be a reasonable angle for close-up work, and the beam isn't a thrower so they seem to have got it right.

· UI is off, disco1(one LED flashing after the other), disco2 (>2Hz strobe ), Hi, off

· Takes 3x AAA.

· Fairly cheaply made (as you'd expect).

· Batteries are a bit of a tight fit.

· Polarity markings hard to see.

· No parasitic drain, and IIRC the current used on Hi was approx 160mA ?

· QC not perfect - I bought 10 headlamps, all work, but one had a LED that doesn't illuminate (the light is still perfectly usable anyway).

· Better than I expected for the money. In fact I'd rate them as exceptionally good value for money at the $US 3.25 I paid.

· Link to "Bright 5 LED Headlamp for Camping (3*AAA)":
http://www.dinodirect.com/5-LED-Head-Lamp-for-Camping.html

If anyone has any questions feel free too ask (either PM or in this thread as appropriate) and I'll try to help out.

gregozedobe

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

tam17

Enlightened
One more flody headlight to consider is first generation Petzl Tikka XP (E89), which is still available new, although a in tactical version (TacTikka XP). Format is 3xAAA, not regulated, around 30lm on max. setting. Very useful flood beam for outdoor use IMHO, red flood filter available. Beamshot with diffuser slider on:

izb7sm.jpg

Cheers,
tam

Ent

Newly Enlightened
Note run time on PT Corona and high. One hour sounds low while eight sounds high. Does the lamp show any indication it is dropping out of regulation apart from going dim? I find with rechargeables around three hours the light dims (2650MAH Engergiser and Duracells - now rated 2450 in shops) while on lithium around three maybe four hours on full pulled it up. Seems to run forever after that but rather dim. Nice broad spread but does have a blue caste, at least to my eyes. Very heavy feeling on the head but well built. Generally well regarded in Tassie's wet climate. Great for hanging over work areas as static light. Stupid start high then dim sequence which is typical of PT plus SOS function part of the sequence. Biggest issue is very easy bumped on in a full pack. Use plastic insulator when in the bush. A light that has done its time and needing updating in my opinion but can be trusted in most harsh conditions.

Cheers

Latest posts