Florence 2018

WDR65

Enlightened
Well we still have power as of 8:27. The wind is really starting to pick up and its raining but doesn't sound too heavy. I've moved our vehicles out into fields on opposite sides of the house away from the trees. Not much else to be done. Just had a hot meal and the kitchen is clean.

AZPops, I've kept that one open in my browser tabs. Thank you for the link.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Our carnage so far....
IMG_20180913_203645.jpg

A citronela candle got toppled.

Prayin' for ya WDR. Best regards and may good fortune shine on you and yours.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well we still have power as of 8:27. The wind is really starting to pick up and its raining but doesn't sound too heavy. I've moved our vehicles out into fields on opposite sides of the house away from the trees. Not much else to be done. Just had a hot meal and the kitchen is clean.

AZPops, I've kept that one open in my browser tabs. Thank you for the link.

Welcome!

Pops

WDR65

Enlightened
Our carnage so far....
IMG_20180913_203645.jpg

A citronela candle got toppled.

Prayin' for ya WDR. Best regards and may good fortune shine on you and yours.

Thank you Bykfixer. I tried to get a picture outside but aside from a lot of leaves flying through the air there's not much to see tonight.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Here in Apex, near Raleigh, still not much wind and rain. What really concerns me is our condo in Indian Beach. It's on the Bogue Sound side of the island, which might help, and the top floor. Just hope the roof stays on. Guess we'll be heading down as soon as the bridges are open.

Geoff

Mr. LED

Enlightened
pnDhU7O9p
I'm in China for work, and there's a typhoon coming. I have no experience in this, and don't know what to expect. Especially being in an environment that people don't prepare, have very little to no sense of danger, and away from home and all my stuff.

Luckily, the bullseye won't hit this region, so predicted winds are only 40km/h, but a lot of rain. I'm in a hotel at the fourth floor. Will go to supermarket tonight and stock up on food and water. Batteries charged (only 2 18650), and Zebralight ready. Computer and cell phone always charged.

The typhoon is being called the "century wind king" and it's scheduled to hit mainland China on Sunday afternoon. Right now it's blasting the Philippines.

WDR65

Enlightened
Geoff, it doesn't look good that way. I hope it's okay. I've been talking to my brother who lives in New Hill. Y'all stay safe up there.

The wind has shifted here and is a lot lighter. It's still raining and we're going to have to keep an eye on the canals and ditches but I'm hoping the worst is behind us. No power but I've got two generators and about thirty gallons of gas. My in laws are further south in the county and didn't lose power until daylight this morning. Thanks everybody for the prayers and well wishes.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My sister was watching radar and noticed a path of no rain or wind stayed over their area as the storm made landfall and as it slowly churned its way inland.
She quipped "we may have to water our lawn when this thing is over".
She lives at the Outter Banks of NC.

I watched the radar over an area where I work some 50 miles north and saw that place getting drenched as outter bands would break off east of OBX and slingshot over that area. A miraculous gap of sunny skies continued over my sisters area throughout the weekend. It was something to see.

Now watching the center area of the storm caused hair on the back of my neck to stand. Goodness gracious those poor folks got hit hard by hour after hour of heavy rain. Yet at 11am Sunday the number of souls gone home was an amazing 16. A tree fell on a guy, another guy was electrocuted by his own extension cord and a pair died while running a gasoline powered generator inside their home.

It'll be quite some time before we know the actual toll from all the rain. In days gone by the death toll would've been a lot higher. As a lad Chamille killed 200+ folks largely from the rains in 1969. Thanks to modern technology that does not appear to be the case this time even though Florence was a pretty dramatic rain maker that paused over NC for a couple of days.

The name Florence is slated to be retired after this one. And regarding changing ratings and such. There's no need. All one needs to know is a hurricane is a bad storm, regardless of the category. And in about 2005 when a tropical depression called Gaston dumped 18" of rain on Richmond Va in about 3 hours, it was noted that even a tropical depression aint no joke. We just need to understand that tropical systems in general are a serious thing and not focus on all the hype surrounding the so-called rating is.

The press is the press. Always have been and always will be. The change is how quickly we receive all those dramatic predictions. "Death!!" "Destruction!!!" "The sky is falling" "Catastrophy" "Carnage" "Billions of $".... It sells so they will always keep up the traditions of using adrenaline raising adjectives. I was glad to see them continue that tradition as Florence lost strength. It probably saved lives.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
On my construction project a fellow was walking through under the guise of looking for a place to fish. We're working near a river.

The guy was very convincing, to the point he was carrying flowers he'd picked for his girlfriend. Keep in mind we were told to evacuate the area.

One of the workers who is covered with jail house tat's spoke up and said "hide the generators".... He said he knew the guy was a 'tweaker' looking for stuff to swipe while everybody was gone. Then he turned to his boss and said "see, I told you it pays to hire former felons."

scout24

Flashaholic
I always smile when I drive past a site that's down for the weekend, holiday, etc. and I see compressors, generators and Job Boxes slung WAY up in the air on the cranes. Somebody didn't want to explain why stuff got stolen when they were charged with securing it... :)

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read that a 100 people are refusing to leave the mandatory evacuation area. I don't understand why someone would allow themselves to remain in harms way. :shakehead Why risk it?

It's their life. They may be misguided or they could be prepared to weather anything short of falling Skylabs, same as our Sub Umbra. You don't know. They may have done this three times already in the last forty years and feel that those TV people are overdramatizing things just a bit. They might also be people who just don't want to go anywhere and are willing to take their chances on going down with the ship. In the end you have to ask "whose life is it?" I say it has to be theirs, even if I may not approve of what they're doing with it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I always smile when I drive past a site that's down for the weekend, holiday, etc. and I see compressors, generators and Job Boxes slung WAY up in the air on the cranes. Somebody didn't want to explain why stuff got stolen when they were charged with securing it... :)

All the crane booms were lowered to ground level due to the potential winds. Storm spared the place and the only damage was an overturned trash can that had not been emptied of food trash and a raccoon had raided it.

It's their life. They may be misguided or they could be prepared to weather anything short of falling Skylabs, same as our Sub Umbra. You don't know. They may have done this three times already in the last forty years and feel that those TV people are overdramatizing things just a bit. They might also be people who just don't want to go anywhere and are willing to take their chances on going down with the ship. In the end you have to ask "whose life is it?" I say it has to be theirs, even if I may not approve of what they're doing with it.

Thatz all groovey and all but don't go whining to tv reporters that the government didn't help fast enough. Thatz my only qualm with folks who stay... The ones that complain later.

A carefull reading of my post reveals I did not make a judgment call, only that I didn't understand why people would risk it.

Furthermore, you're not considering all the emergency personnel and volunteers that risk life and limb to render aid. It's not just their life they're risking and very few, if any, are willing to go down with the "ship".

~ Chance

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Richmond, va here, tornados touched down . One confirm death so far
All day long were tornado warnings, I believe 7 touched down. It was pretty damn scary.

Signing off.