FM1909 replacement?

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
That definitely sounds like a lot of trouble for little to no reward, Wonderlite. I didn't know that and I'm sorry that worked out for you like that.

Here's to better future endeavors. <cheers> :)

Billy Ram

Enlightened
The problem with the sales on the FM1909 bulb is it's too robust. I have 4ea. FM09s I've been running for quite a while with out loosing the first bulb and only 1 of them has a soft start switch. One of my favorite bulbs for sure.
Billy

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Billy, I agree. I love to push a bulb to it's absolute extreme and even 3 x IMR(any size) doesn't do it for the FM1909.

So.....I'm thinking about running it on 4 x LiFePO4 cells with my AW soft start...I won't be happy until I :poof: a couple! :devil:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love to push a bulb to it's absolute extreme and even 3 x IMR(any size) doesn't do it for the FM1909.

If your 3 IMR don't drive 1909 close to instaflash point, then you definitely have some problem and try to locate and identify it. Check batteries, switch, connectors and....
Above statement is for direct drive without soft start which means if your host has very very very low resistance and total voltage of 3 large IMR batteries are 12.8 volt, you will flash the bulb.
Please don't look to
this chart unless you study how test has been done and understand that duplicating same or similar test is not practical in flashlight.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the feeler thread the last time - if we could get 4 bulbs for $68 shipped anywhere in the world again I'm keen, happy to pre-pay as well.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fivemega, (and I would never want to argue with YOU about your bulb!) I'm looking at it like this. 3 X IMR is about 12.6v when under no load and hot off a charge. Now, put it under load for only a couple of minutes and it's probably more like 11.6v running which is not pushing the 1909 as hard as I would like to push it. The 1185, on the other hand, is at that point running at about 11.9v which is right at the bleeding edge of :poof: and is therefore noticeable whiter. I have played with these combinations side by side enough to see that the 1909 just isn't as white on 3 x IMR for very long.

Here is some testing I did using 3 x 26500s and this bulb. This was done with a reworked stock switch, not the AW switch.

Resting voltage was 12.56 or 4.187v per cell.
Initial running voltage (at the moment of startup) was 12.1v.

Here is the running voltage drop over time.

Min. Voltage Temp
1 11.7
2 11.55
3 11.43 134
4 11.34
5 11.25 142
6 11.14
7 11.05 157
8 10.97

After only 2 minutes we're at 11.55v running and down to 11.25v after 5. Now granted, this was done with 26500s instead of 26650s but I don't think there would be much (if any) difference for the first few minutes.

So as we see, the batteries only supply 12v+ to the 1909 but for a moment. They can't supply this rate for long under a 5.5a load.

My 1909 host really only has the resistance of the AW switch plus the resistance of the batteries and their contacts. I use direct battery to copper in the tailcap....no spring. I have to be VERY careful with the 1185 bulbs in this host, running them on medium for a bit before going to high when the cells are charged to 4.2v. Even doing this I will occasionally murder an 1185. However, the 1909, in my experience, is no problem to go directly to high with this soft start switch.

So, what I'm thinking is that perhaps starting a set of 4 x LiFePO4 cells at just the right charge voltage would provide a very flat output as compared to using IMRs...almost like it's regulated to ~12.4v! Could it live if done carefully? What do you think?

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 1909 bulbs arrived today. I've got just the light to put them in! Thanks! I have 2 of your bulbs in other lights. I know the joy!

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put one of these bulbs on the bench on a power supply and I should have worn sunglasses! Very bright and very white. Now I just need to assemble a suitable host and power supply for it.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Tri-bored MagD host from your favourite mod'er (unless you have the wherewithal to do that yourself - no lathe for me I'm afraid), AW incan driver, FM1909, FM battery holder, FM bi-focal reflector or deep reflector as per your personal taste (still not decided between these personaly), and 17650 IMRs from www.bestinone.net That's what I am currently using the FM1909 in.

Considering an FM 3S 18650 MegalenniumB as an alternative for higher capacity cells and hence longer run times.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of January 5, 2012 their are nine of us. Come on guys, you need the brilliant white light the 1909 brings. Get those shelf queens off of the shelf and buy some new 1909 bulbs for them. You will be pleased. Your friends will be astounded!

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Yep, as one of the people who pushed for this new batch of bulbs, I feel rather guilty that few of the people who expressed an interest in them appear to have purchased them. I had hoped that wonderlite's concerns would be unfounded, but his prediction of the outcome has become all too true.

I'll probably get a third pack myself later on, but I'd really like to see some more sold in the mean time, just to reward FM for his efforts on our behalf.

wonderlite

Newly Enlightened
Yep, as one of the people who pushed for this new batch of bulbs, I feel rather guilty that few of the people who expressed an interest in them appear to have purchased them. I had hoped that wonderlite's concerns would be unfounded, but his prediction of the outcome has become all too true.

I'll probably get a third pack myself later on, but I'd really like to see some more sold in the mean time, just to reward FM for his efforts on our behalf.

Stephen Wallace;
Yes, I am undaunted. Come and get the 1794 kings off the shelf, too, so the 1794 kings and 1909 queens can have a party LOL

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running the 1909 in a 4D Mag using 5xIMR26500. The bulb is regulated at 11.8V by a JimmyM JM-PHD-D1 voltage regulator. Reflector is FM's 2.5" Throwmaster. IMO, a regulator is the way to go. Unfortunately, the JM-PHD-D1 is sold out and you'll have to wait for JimmyM to come out with Version 2.

DM51

Flashaholic
As of January 5, 2012 their are nine of us. Come on guys, you need the brilliant white light the 1909 brings. Get those shelf queens off of the shelf and buy some new 1909 bulbs for them. You will be pleased. Your friends will be astounded!
Correct - nine of us so far, who have bought 13 packs (= 52 bulbs) between us.

There were many more posters here who said they wanted them and have not so far followed up on that.

Come on, guys! :poke:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I'd be all too happy to buy the bulbs that were available - save lots of hassle all around, but unfortunately the 1794 is too low a voltage, and the axial is rated at just over a third the power (and hence presumably a considerably lower lumen output) than the FM1909. The 1909 just happens to be exactly what I need - basically a WA1185 replacement, that can be pushed harder (and without the tendency for the legs to fracture the envelope leading to the bulb exploding..... :poof: ).
Very true. The 1909 is an awesome bulb