• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FM3V-2 Turbo head by FiveMega

Nebula

Enlightened
how does this head compare to the 2.5 throw master head for throw at 500' or 1000'? would this head be better with a particular type or level of bulbs, 1185 or 50 or 100 watt osram? i'm looking for throw with some flood mixed in using a 50 or 100 watt osram bulb in a 12 aa 3d m*g. which makes more difference the bulb or reflector for throw or flood?

thank's for any help or comments.

Fivemega, Luxluther and JimJones are three that could probably answer your Qs from direct experience. Sorry, I cannot. I have the 2.5, and 3 heads, but don't need (or use) them for that kind of distance. Good luck.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
how does this head compare to the 2.5 throw master head for throw at 500' or 1000'? would this head be better with a particular type or level of bulbs, 1185 or 50 or 100 watt osram? i'm looking for throw with some flood mixed in using a 50 or 100 watt osram bulb in a 12 aa 3d m*g. which makes more difference the bulb or reflector for throw or flood?

My question exactly!
I'm looking to do the same thing as RickB with one of these two heads (I just hope there's still one left in HAIII gray by the time I get a paycheck here:whistle:).

If anyone has any experience with both heads that would be amazing, but also just any experience with past iterations of 2.5" vs 3" heads.

Thanks alot.
-Pete

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Chrome plated complete head #7 (or next open slot) $230 + 10 Shipping

:paypal:

This being my 3rd of these, I think you can interpret my 3rd order as a raving endorsement!!! With FM's permission, I'll give my take on some questions that came up....although this level of detail should likely be moved to a separate incan section thread. (FM, let me know if you prefer I delete all this from your sales thread).

Any word on how well these heads work on a Mac's Torch? I think some of the other heads had some galling/tolerance issue...and I really want one for my red Torch! :D

Same issue with threads not working with FM3V-2 threads on my 3 of my 4 Mac Torch's with tailcap switches. Two of these three have the Mac Custom's "The Torch" engraved on tailcap, which I think are older models. One of the four (Pewter without engraved message) does work.

On the three torch's that don't thread FM's last few 2.5 & 3" heads, I verified that the Delghi 3" custom made head also does not fit these Mac's Torch threads.

When I take a stock Mag head (out of the box), I can get these on Mac's 3 Torches, but there is also a slight catching with Mac's Torch threads.

FM's heads fit normally on any other Maglite I have, including the MaxaBeam torch clones.

Some very good questions. The first answer is that either one is a vast improvement over the typical MOP reflectors sold with Torch/Torch Clones at additional bulb lumen capture and throw.

The 2" Deep (old version) with SMO, and 2.5 Turbo do a better job at removing bulb artifacts, and give a more narrowed output.

The previous FM3H-2 had a slightly textured reflector at bottom that flared out to SMO, and it also gave improvement with artifacts, but at a VERY slight reduction in overall light output at distances when used side by side with the original FM3H, or this new FM3V-2 which goes back to a nearly SMO reflector.

In general the way to think about it is the 3" captures more lumens and puts out more overall light side by side, but has a slightly wider beam than the Deep 2" & 2.5" models. The textured surface on any reflector reduces artifacts to smooth out the beam, but the cost is making beam wider, and reducing throw & center hotspot.

Now this latest FM3V-2 model goes back more to being nearly SMO, so if you start with one of the big 100W filament bulbs like the "Torch" or "MaxBlaster" 64623, you won't have all the removal of artifacts, but that is not a significant issue when projecting outside. These "transverse" filament bulbs were developed for projectors, and the "axial" filament bulbs generally look better.

64458.jpg

It only bothers you when shining inside at a white wall...which these are too bright to use that way anyway. It becomes more important with the higher 50+W bulbs to try and pick your better looking filament beam, but either 2.5 or 3" reflector will help a lot.

These are some 35W bulbs that you can click on to see variations in glass shape and filament design to get a better idea of why bulb selection is also important in the quality of your beam/throw. All of the larger Osram 35-100W bulbs fit in these 2.5 & 3" reflectors.

Oh one other issue that was discussed with the FM3H-2, namely the difficulty unscrewing the bezel....is resolved with the FM3V-2, but be very careful not to touch the reflector surface when removing it from head to then unscrew the cam stem. I put it on a foam mouse pad and tapped a wood broom stick with rubber mallet hammer that fit inside the cam stem.

So more overall light, and great throw go with this new nearly SMO FM3V-2. More focussed/narrow beam, use the 2.5 Deep. Both are superb reflectors....and the 2.5 has a different cosmetic look which you may like.

YAK-28

Enlightened
thank you luxluthor, that helps my brain cell a lot. sorry in this was the wrong place to ask that. look's like i'm going to have force myelf to order a fm3v-2 as soon as i can.

thank's again (sorry for butting in fm),
yak-28.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fivemega,

do you have a timeline as when the gun metal grey HA III will be available?

thank you
Doug

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Varooj, got my gorgeous Chrome head & extras today.

Thank you VERY much for what I consider to be the most beautiful custom head you have made to date.

Just waiting for the Black & HA-III to come online.

People are REALLY missing out if you don't get one or more of these heads.

Fivemega.gif
Fivemega.gif
Fivemega.gif

Action

Enlightened
Like you said, waiting and waiting for the black and HA to come on-line...

Sable

Enlightened
It's a pity about "The Torch..." I'd love to swedge one of these things on it, but I have an "engraved-tailcap" model that I'm certain is pretty old. I'd hate to pay 190.00USD and then not have anything to stick it on - and I surely don't need another monster light (MaxaBlaster)! :)

Oh well. To all you lucky dogs picking these up, good luck and happy lumens! :)

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta see if I can squeeeeeeeeze my wallet some more for one of these! :broke: I have a whole slew (slew???:confused:) of Varooj's lights including some of his oversized heads and, they are all of the highest quality. If you want a hotwire or some fantastic heads get one of these!!

On another note....Lux, did you hire one of your cadre of staff to answer all these questions or.....?? Kidding. Nice knowledge base if that's what you want to call it!

Karl

plasmaman

Enlightened
It's a pity about "The Torch..." I'd love to swedge one of these things on it, but I have an "engraved-tailcap" model that I'm certain is pretty old. I'd hate to pay 190.00USD and then not have anything to stick it on - and I surely don't need another monster light (MaxaBlaster)! :)

Oh well. To all you lucky dogs picking these up, good luck and happy lumens! :)

Sable - I know that FM2-H fits on your Torch if that helps!

Nebula

Enlightened
Varooj - please reserve #4 Gun Metal Gray for me. I will PP when I get in from the office. Thanks. Kirk

:paypal:. Hey Lux, where did you get those little "FM Rocks" do-dads? I could use a couple just now.
icon10.gif

Last edited:

LTXC^3

Newly Enlightened
FM
#12 chrome $230
1) Extra 3" Boro lens $10
1) 1 AA Dummy $8
1) Osram 62138 bulb $8
1) WA1185 bi-pin bulb $6
Shipping $10
Total $272

Sent USPS money order 10/15 pm
Thanks Alec

Last edited:

510jack

Newly Enlightened
I'll take #5 Gray Type III FM3V-2 with VLOP 3" reflector in head. Plus extra SMO 3" reflector with removable cam $50. I will send you a money order for $240.
-Miles