Foursevens Bolt Action light - early opinions?

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some photos i shot

01809273-c339-40d3-b945-34b6706971de_zps323ed7a8.jpg
d39c9109-1084-4258-855d-723b337d4c18_zpsc126f134.jpg
8b301e3b-ac02-4278-a998-a0293c301d40_zps7d28b2dc.jpg
a5aaf341-833f-4668-be2f-d3f275a4ea95_zps96d70bf0.jpg

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why all the anger over a new concept. I am glad they're attempting something different.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why all the anger over a new concept. I am glad they're attempting something different.

+1. Well said. Surely everyone is free to say what they want, but the best way to vote is with your wallet. Like it? Buy it. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Manufacturers will certainly hear that message loud and clear.

I'm not overly fond of the design but darn tempted to buy one just to show some support for 4/7 trying something new.

And @Alex1234 - good photos. Thanks for sharing. Please let us know how your impressions evolve as you use the light over the days/months ahead!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally disagree with Alex1234 on this one...just because you don't have personal experience with something, does not mean you can't have an opinion on it. In the real world, it is not possible, let alone practical, for everyone to try out everything. People make judgements based on their preferences as a shortcut, a necessary practice given limited time and resources. This thread was specifically soliciting early opinions on a new light, so I see no problem with people expressing their opinion.

I don't think anybody is angry...but this is an unusual light. You have to expect that a lot of people won't like it. And there are (in my opinion) several reasons to dislike it. Pricing is number one...I bought a Preon Penlight, and I thought it was a bit overpriced. This thing is DOUBLE the cost of that, and for me, that makes it very poor value. Add in the relatively uncommon, low capacity, and relatively expensive cells it uses (compared to AAA or AA), and it is definitely not for me. On top of that, I don't like the look, and having a ball sticking out the side of the light like that seems designed to catch on clothing, and make it less comfortable in the pocket, and the mechanism seems like it would make it hard to operate with one hand. Any one of these reasons might be enough to stay away, but when you put them all together, I am TOTALLY confident that for me, it would be a waste of money.

Perhaps it will find a niche market, but it seems fairly clear that this light will probably not be a big mass market success. That's ok, though. Automotive companies learned that making a weird design can be profitable. Building a unique product that ten percent of people love, even if the other ninety percent hate it, can lead to strong sales. Whereas trying to design something that appeals to everyone leads to compromise, and puts it in competition with many other established products. Perhaps the same thing will be true with this light (for FourSevens' sake, I hope so).

Last edited:

Thud1023

Enlightened
Well said Doc, and I like the automotive analogy..makes sense in this case. After having this light for a while, thought I would add a few comments as well..
First, I got the light for the bolt, as a bolt action was the first rifle I ever handled and the mechanism has a special place in my memories.

With respect to the light, my likes:
- It is bright, second brightest light I own
- The bolt is surprisingly easy to use. Wrap a fist around light, fingers comfortably rest on clip and thumb rest on bolt. In fact, I handed the light to my wife, she naturally used this technique and started ripping through the modes : )
- The "clicking" the bolt is very addictive!
- More comfy in back pocket than expected. Bolt does not poke you and actually keeps light from spinning around in pocket.

Dislikes:
- Priced high for this light and material, but imagine a triple collaboration is not cheap!
- The clip needs more of a bend at end. It is impossible to clip on some pockets, why I carry in back pocket.
- Not the typical "pretty" Ti I go for, but I also don't worry about scratching this one up : )

Overall, glad I purchased it and enjoy using it.

Regards,

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said Doc, and I like the automotive analogy..makes sense in this case. After having this light for a while, thought I would add a few comments as well..
First, I got the light for the bolt, as a bolt action was the first rifle I ever handled and the mechanism has a special place in my memories.

With respect to the light, my likes:
- It is bright, second brightest light I own
- The bolt is surprisingly easy to use. Wrap a fist around light, fingers comfortably rest on clip and thumb rest on bolt. In fact, I handed the light to my wife, she naturally used this technique and started ripping through the modes : )
- The "clicking" the bolt is very addictive!
- More comfy in back pocket than expected. Bolt does not poke you and actually keeps light from spinning around in pocket.

Dislikes:
- Priced high for this light and material, but imagine a triple collaboration is not cheap!
- The clip needs more of a bend at end. It is impossible to clip on some pockets, why I carry in back pocket.
- Not the typical "pretty" Ti I go for, but I also don't worry about scratching this one up : )

Overall, glad I purchased it and enjoy using it.

Regards,

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

These are exactly my thoughts aswell. The bolt is much easier to use then one would expect. I was worried it would be hard and annoying before i got but now that i have it its already like second nature to flip the bolt. Thats why you can bash the bolt idea because you may actually like it if you try it. And i agree its very very addicting. I love the sound it makes

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are certain people who are just perfect for this kind of light.

Have you ever known somebody at the office who sits there and does some kind of constant fiddling with something all day, like clicking a pen, or twisting his ring, or playing with some other thing? Well, this is perfect for him.
How about your knife-nut friend who has a balisong flipper, or some other flipper knife, and they sit there all day in front of the TV. flipping the knife? Perfect for him.
Incessant fiddlers.

IMO, this is what market this light is for. They will sit there at work, moving this bolt action up and down all day, and it will be their favorite light.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are certain people who are just perfect for this kind of light.

Have you ever known somebody at the office who sits there and does some kind of constant fiddling with something all day, like clicking a pen, or twisting his ring, or playing with some other thing? Well, this is perfect for him.
How about your knife-nut friend who has a balisong flipper, or some other flipper knife, and they sit there all day in front of the TV. flipping the knife? Perfect for him.
Incessant fiddlers.

IMO, this is what market this light is for. They will sit there at work, moving this bolt action up and down all day, and it will be their favorite light.

Well... sure, as long as they live and work alone. I don't want to sit near someone flipping a light on and off several times a minute. Instead, maybe get them one of those squishy hand balls to play with, or some meth.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Could someone who has the light explain how the mode-changing works ?

There's nothing about this as far as I can tell either on the 4Sevens site or in the video linked in Post #1 (David clicks the light on and off a few times but doesn't explain the mode-changing).

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
With each actuation of the "bolt action" you access the different modes. It will recall the last mode you have chosen before setting the light down.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Thanks sb - although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "access the different modes" - does it cycle through rather like a reverse-clicky ?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm not sure what a reverse clicky is, the "bolt" functions just like a bolt action rifle does, the bolt has a L shaped slot it rides in and you can move the spring loaded bolt in a straight line for going between modes or move the bolt to the short end of the L slot to keep the light in a mode . Perhaps someone else has a better description of the action it has. It is a 3 way collaboration light. The pocket clip is made by Fellhoelter, the light is a design by Tuff-Writer and 47S, it has 3 brightness levels and 4 special output modes . That description is off the packaging the light comes in. It is a unique light that interested me enough to purchase it. It is like the ARC RGB AAA lights, not many other lights like them. Oh and I don't work anymore ,I am in the ranks of the retired I "play" with my lights at home. Happy new year (in 2 hours here)

Last edited:

SparkLite

Newly Enlightened
Well I actually bought one of these lights (instead of just whinging about them behind a keyboard) and I reckon its
great. Apart from being surprised at the size of the thing considering the battery size, as all my other cr2 lights are tiny, it feels very nice in the hand and is natural and intuitive to operate.

Personally I'll buy any new light that shows some innovation, like some of the Knog lights I've bought recently...

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow so much feedback! I like it!

Obviously it's not for everyone - we never intend any of our lights to be one-size-fits-all - but from the numbers we're selling the crap out of these.
And I'm not the only one selling these. (the other two collaborators are blasting through their inventory) If you don't like it we have many other lights that should meet your specific need :p

Bottom line is there is nothing as bright in this size (minimag size). 500 lumens is nothing to shake a stick at - that is the reason cr2's were chosen.
Some of the customers are putting them in their custom mini-mag holsters too.

The bolt action is very addictive to operate - much like the fellhoelter pen - you'll end up playing with it subconsciously when you have it in hand.
Actuating the flashlight from the side is so much more natural for the thumb than in the rear. The thumb was never very dexterous especially compared to the other digits.

I'm glad we're selling these like crazy - because it's got to pay for the patent filing which ain't cheap :p

Anyway - as with anything new there's always lots of opinions and complaining but I see this as a new trend coming up (hence the confidence to invest in patent filings).
Just look at all the automotive world - whenever there are big changes the purists always roll their eyes, shake their heads and have lots to say about it. But give it some time and it'll sink in.

I'm sure we'll be using this mechanism in future lights. I know at least a titanium made-in-usa version is slated to be released second half of this year. But I guarantee you it'll be at least 2x or 3x the price.
Just look at how much Fellhoelter's pen goes for. ;P

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Awesome to hear David... that's what you get for being different :D