Foursevens: Research Poll- what do you want to see?

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Another request but might kind of be unrealistic but i always thought an 18650 version of the new mini would be an awesome compact light. Also maybe make a new mini driver that can program memory/no memory/hybrid

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jose's idea reminds me of my old Niteye/Jetbeams-I bought custom made adapter's for a few of them and since the 16340 size lights already accommodated the 18350's it was easy and cheap for the adapters. Then I had a very versatile light with selector ring for brightness. I still have every one-I never worry about dings or dents. The Mini MKII are awesome lights, but would need a pretty substantial change to fit 18650's. The rare as a unicorn Four Sevens 18650 body I have required an adapter(internal) that apparently not only accommodated the size change but also had a spring and small PCB inside-I confess I never really knew what it's purpose was but I sure love having the runtime of 18650's with the original Quark UI...

weez82

Enlightened
Would just like the Quark line brought back. The Tactical interface (2 mode) and regular interface (no memory mode). And more lights that use 26650's :)

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preon Revo Stainless in neutral. One I regret never buying when I could. Also, xpl hi neutral 18650 quarks. Pro interface.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Edit. Lock out feature on some lights would be nice. The Quark Turbo had it but not the regular.

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. Only one 'r' in Suefire, BTW.

I think Jason can come up with something cool. I just want a UI like the Quark Pro was with the head loose, that I can select which of the 5 brightness outputs it scrolls, defaulting to lowest first. All 5 or a subset, all the way down to single mode. Should be pretty simple - just enter a programming mode with "x" half presses, say 10, and have it start to scroll through from moonlight. Do a half press to select, or wait a couple of seconds for the next one. After the last one, it is memorized for however many you half pressed on during the scroll through. Pretty dang easy to change for different uses that way.

And if you must, it could have strobe, SOS and beacon at the end of the five constant brightness levels. (jk, I respect the disco mode users, just not my cup of tea)

archer6817j

Enlightened
Yup. Only one 'r' in Suefire, BTW.

I think Jason can come up with something cool. I just want a UI like the Quark Pro was with the head loose, that I can select which of the 5 brightness outputs it scrolls, defaulting to lowest first. All 5 or a subset, all the way down to single mode. Should be pretty simple - just enter a programming mode with "x" half presses, say 10, and have it start to scroll through from moonlight. Do a half press to select, or wait a couple of seconds for the next one. After the last one, it is memorized for however many you half pressed on during the scroll through. Pretty dang easy to change for different uses that way.

And if you must, it could have strobe, SOS and beacon at the end of the five constant brightness levels. (jk, I respect the disco mode users, just not my cup of tea)

Sounds like you are talking about my fully programmable Icarus driver ;)

thesnark17

Newly Enlightened
Something with Quark interchangeability and an Icarus driver does sound like the way to go if we can't get the head tight/loose functionality back.

Croquette

Enlightened
an updated lego/quark line up :

two head (one for throw, one for close operation) small head with triple nichia and a turbo with xpl hi

bodies (cr123 or 18350 / AA(ni mh and Li ion) / 18650)

tailcaps (reverse or forward) or twisty bodies.

some bonus head (like a qt2l with xhp emiter)

realjoshfreeman

Newly Enlightened
- I love the Quarks' 0.8-4.2v ability, with bodies such that 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x14500, 1xCR123, 1x16350, 1x16650 are all possible with the same light. Would like to see 18650 support just because they're so prolific.

- I won't buy anything cooler than 5000K ever again for a personal light.

- The legacy Quark Tactical forward-clicky tailcap is my favorite switch ever. If only it could tailstand...

- Could the durability of the finish be improved?

- I want either granular programmability or three well-chosen modes: moonlight, comfortable long-running medium, and gimme-everything-you-got, in that order.

- Some way of indicating battery status would be handy.

I don't particularly care for: flashy modes you can't skip, side switches, reverse-clicky, exotic metals, aesthetic features that don't enhance utility, or fingerling lights that do 10,000 lumens for 250ms just to say they can.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
- I love the Quarks' 0.8-4.2v ability, with bodies such that 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x14500, 1xCR123, 1x16350, 1x16650 are all possible with the same light. Would like to see 18650 support just because they're so prolific.

- I won't buy anything cooler than 5000K ever again for a personal light.

- The legacy Quark Tactical forward-clicky tailcap is my favorite switch ever. If only it could tailstand...

- Could the durability of the finish be improved?

- I want either granular programmability or three well-chosen modes: moonlight, comfortable long-running medium, and gimme-everything-you-got, in that order.

- Some way of indicating battery status would be handy.

I don't particularly care for: flashy modes you can't skip, side switches, reverse-clicky, exotic metals, aesthetic features that don't enhance utility, or fingerling lights that do 10,000 lumens for 250ms just to say they can.
I've been tail standing by using the tactical Quark Turbo Flat Tailcap. It works with all Quark bodies.
The switch on the left is a Tactical forward clicky and the one on the right is a Pro reverse clicky. The Turbo Flat Tailcap uses the same long shafted tactical switch. You may be able to locate a Quark Turbo Flat Tailcap for sale from a reseller or in the CPF Mall.

Clickable Image

I'll see your Clickable Image and raise you this.

~ Chance

qJSIsTI.jpg

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree on remaking and continuing production of the Mini MKII. Various emitters (based on how they sell) and various materials. Copper, brass, titanium, Aluminum, colorful anodizing.

I like the idea of 18350 (IMR) and 14500 (IMR) versions. Maybe the turbo head with an 18350 body would look like a slightly larger version of the normal Mini MKII.

The Mini is pretty versatile and good for a backup and not a burden to carry.

I don't really understand the UI, I know that I try to change modes and it doesn't want to change, but when I twist it, the light turns on. So, maybe a more simple UI would help it out.

Burgess

Flashaholic
^ ^ ^ YES ! ! !

And how about in an AA version, also ! ! !

:twothumbs :twothumbs

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Make quark 18650 bodies again.

+100 on the 18650 bodies for Quarks. That would make it the perfect compact all-around platform. Anti-roll heads are an excellent idea too.
+1000

Just for those who don't know:

Regarding the Quark Pro and Tactical user interface, and I am at least as big a fan as anyone of those, it can't come back. Suefire closed the door on that in their legal settlement with FourSevens. The head twist is not going to change the brightness of the light.

But I would be all for a thread-compatible series with a new and innovative interface. Maybe like the Quark Click, but with a more open, user programmable interface. Pick how many modes, 1 to 5 (plus possible blinkies, if you have to) and which ones if less than 5, ascending or descending, with memory or with a default mode - say lowest when ascending brightness and highest when descending brightness. I'd buy that in a heartbeat! Lego ready!

Maybe it could have a few popular pre-set interfaces for the masses, plus a "full programmable" interface for, you know, REAL men.

Head twist to select mode is used on other lights, http://www.sunwayman-usa.com/sunwayman-m11r-natural.html, http://eagletac.com/html/p25lc2/index.html

In general the possibility to select mode without the light being on, and program the light to use customizable modes is a must. The tactician from surefire is really just like my QT2l-x but with no programming. Elzetta is using twist tail cap to choose modes, that is off the table as well?

I agree. I think they built the Tactician upon the QT2L-X's characteristics also.
I have hope to see what comes in the future :).

Edit: Also the X7 does not employ the contact of the body and head to employ the brightness changes,
but a series of contacts within the head, so maybe if the anodizing on the threads were to be removed? :shrug:
Finger Crossed
fingers-crossed-emoji35.gif
WAIT WHAT? TONS of lights use that! Jetbeam, Sunwayman etc.... your telling me Surefire came out with the Traction, patented it and now nobody else can use that retroactively?? If that's the case I will never buy another Surefire again.... I'm with everyone else, resurrect the WHOLE Quark line, AA, CR123, 18650 bodys, Turbo AA and 123 along with the Turbo X line.

Favorite light of all time is the Quark Tactical CR123x2 NW XM-L2 or similar floody emitter

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1000

WAIT WHAT? TONS of lights use that! Jetbeam, Sunwayman etc.... your telling me Surefire came out with the Traction, patented it and now nobody else can use that retroactively?? If that's the case I will never buy another Surefire again.... I'm with everyone else, resurrect the WHOLE Quark line, AA, CR123, 18650 bodys, Turbo AA and 123 along with the Turbo X line.

Favorite light of all time is the Quark Tactical CR123x2 NW XM-L2 or similar floody emitter
You have good taste, Mine is the Quark Tactical Low Voltage CR123 NW XML

Yes, all those manufacturers listed are using the patent technologies of Surefire, and Foursevens was one of the manufacturers targeted due to being based in the United States. The lawsuit is whats stopping the resurrection of the Legacy UI of the Quarks, not the release of the Tactician. Now that their patented technology is in production, I have a tiny bit of hope that someday Surefire will consider allowing licensing agreements. The past collaborations of the PK Knight and the Bolt flashlights keep my candle burning :candle: