• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

discoverEDC

Enlightened
anyone know where to Source like a quality 4300k LED for these ?
also considering hcri 4500k. trying to get close to 4300. maybe 4500 can be a 4300?.
thanks.

I haven't dealt with the emitters that Fraz uses, I've been using XPL HI, but color binning has gotten a lot tighter so if you order 4500k you will get pretty close to that. Fraz mentions earlier in this thread some sources. It's a ways back I think. 4000k and 5000k are pretty common but I don't know about in between.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks where do you order that? thanks much discoverEDC!.

I haven't dealt with the emitters that Fraz uses, I've been using XPL HI, but color binning has gotten a lot tighter so if you order 4500k you will get pretty close to that. Fraz mentions earlier in this thread some sources. It's a ways back I think. 4000k and 5000k are pretty common but I don't know about in between.

discoverEDC

Enlightened
Mountain Electronics is a great site used by the flashlight modding community. Note that the forward voltage of the XPL-Hi is a bit higher than the LEDs typically used by Fraz.

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
e0267ebb8e971cd2b5be53938d75267e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFraz

Enlightened
e0267ebb8e971cd2b5be53938d75267e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pic! I see that you've found the moonlight mode. Best for map reading or staring directly into an emitter pattern.

Hope you are enjoying!

We're heading back from a week of (our most efficient by far) machining new parts and should have more up for sale soon. Also a few brainstorms. All of your user input helps us tremendously.

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Could someone break down the general characteristics of the three models? I gather they go Tiny Nugget-->Tiny Tank-->Lumenite in terms of size, and that the Tiny Tank is "more of a flood pattern", but that's all I could pick up from the Fraz Labs site. Do the three models use different optics? Is there a comparison of the beam patterns anywhere? Anything else I need to know before ordering?

discoverEDC

Enlightened
The Tiny Tank is a stouter version of the Tiny Nugget. The wall thickness of the head is thicker. The two Tiny lights can be ordered with 18350, 18500, and 18650 body tubes. I believe that the Lumenite comes with a 21700 body tube and is bigger in general. This also allows for a larger diameter optic. All three use the same types of emitters. I haven't read it anywhere but I'm guessing that the Tinys use 26mm diameter optics based on the size of the lights and standard optics sizes. All this said by a guy who hasn't even held one in his hands :) Others can verify but I'm mostly certain that I have it right.

Last edited:

totcczar

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! First time poster, brought here by a reddit post in r/flashlight. I look forward to discussions with fellow addicts!

I am posting here mainly to express my interest to Paul or Felicia in pretty much any 18650 or 18350 version of any of the lights, preferably in a higher CRI LED and preferably in a warmer temp (below 5000K) but, really, probably anything will do. I've expressed interest on the website to one of the configs, but I didn't want to spam the site with interest in every one of them. I know I'm both at the bottom of the list and the totem pole, but I'm fine with that. I'll be looking for any notifications here, and, barring those, I'll be checking the site frequently. I think it's wonderful when new(ish) makers break into the scene and I want to support that. Also, these lights are very different, in a good way, and I enjoy how they are not "typical" lights.

Also, I wanted to say that I read through the introductory posts at the beginning of this thread and found them to be incredibly interesting.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't be disappointed totcczar. These are great lights! I've been debating doing a pass around for anyone that is on the fence about these guys. I just don't want to be too long without mine because I use it every day

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about output and beam pattern with the different LEDs. Does anyone have, or can produce comparative beam shots?

Beam pattern comparison: M61 (reflector) | M91T (optic) | Lumenite 21700 (optic):

m61.jpg

m91t.jpg

lum21700.jpg

WB/exposure auto locked on the M91T. Lumenite has an excellent balance of spill and throw, approximately right in between the M61 and M91T.

Last edited:

TheFraz

Enlightened
anyone know where to Source like a quality 4300k LED for these ?
also considering hcri 4500k. trying to get close to 4300. maybe 4500 can be a 4300?.
thanks.

We get most of our emitters from MTN electronics, but also some from digikey now as we reflow some. There are other sources as well such as Cutter in Australia or INTL outdoors. A 16mm board is the limiting factor.

Yes, currently we use mainly 4k and 5k Samsung or SST40s. Exploring more options and maybe some more optic options. We're trying to get a good beam matched up with the different emitters.

TheFraz

Enlightened
Could someone break down the general characteristics of the three models? I gather they go Tiny Nugget-->Tiny Tank-->Lumenite in terms of size, and that the Tiny Tank is "more of a flood pattern", but that's all I could pick up from the Fraz Labs site. Do the three models use different optics? Is there a comparison of the beam patterns anywhere? Anything else I need to know before ordering?

The Tiny Tank is a stouter version of the Tiny Nugget. The wall thickness of the head is thicker. The two Tiny lights can be ordered with 18350, 18500, and 18650 body tubes. I believe that the Lumenite comes with a 21700 body tube and is bigger in general. This also allows for a larger diameter optic. All three use the same types of emitters. I haven't read it anywhere but I'm guessing that the Tinys use 26mm diameter optics based on the size of the lights and standard optics sizes. All this said by a guy who hasn't even held one in his hands :) Others can verify but I'm mostly certain that I have it right.

Nailed it including optic size! Thanks discover! The Lumenite uses 35mm optics which can give bigger throw, but the mechanics work much the same in all the lights. There are two main engine differences, Tiny Nugget and Lumenite. And within those they vary by size and length according to battery type. The Tiny Nugget battery tubes are all interchangeable and the Lumenite battery tubes are interchangeable. We know the website is confusing, now that we're in an off-shop week we can work on developing the website info a bit.

In the meantime, please let us know if you have any questions and we'll update it asap.

-Fraz

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! First time poster, brought here by a reddit post in r/flashlight. I look forward to discussions with fellow addicts!

I am posting here mainly to express my interest to Paul or Felicia in pretty much any 18650 or 18350 version of any of the lights, preferably in a higher CRI LED and preferably in a warmer temp (below 5000K) but, really, probably anything will do. I've expressed interest on the website to one of the configs, but I didn't want to spam the site with interest in every one of them. I know I'm both at the bottom of the list and the totem pole, but I'm fine with that. I'll be looking for any notifications here, and, barring those, I'll be checking the site frequently. I think it's wonderful when new(ish) makers break into the scene and I want to support that. Also, these lights are very different, in a good way, and I enjoy how they are not "typical" lights.

Also, I wanted to say that I read through the introductory posts at the beginning of this thread and found them to be incredibly interesting.

Welcome to CPF! Thanks for directing our attention to that reddit thread, I love when folks give their honest opinion on our lights. Also, for anyone reading this, feel free to sign up for any light you're interested in on the site - we use that feedback to base what lights we make on the next run. We've got you on the list, and will update you when the light of your choice (you'll have to let us know which one you're interested in first) is anodized, assembled, and ready to ship. We just got home from the shop, so all that will start tomorrow!

Nobody is at the bottom of the totem pole here in the land of Fraz. If flashlights are available and you have legal tender to send them, go ahead on with your totcczar self.

Pssshh, Fraz only accepts legal tender, I will also take vintage funky things, antique tools and other items, or any really neat miniatures. This is why I'm not in charge of sales...

Flashlights do have to be available though, which will be at the end of the week!

Beam pattern comparison: M61 (reflector) | M91T (optic) | Lumenite 21700 (optic):

WB/exposure auto locked on the M91T. Lumenite has an excellent balance of spill and throw, approximately right in between the M61 and M91T.

These photos are awesome! I've been meaning to take some but I just haven't done it yet. Thanks for adding these!

Alrighty, we just finished a seven day stint in the shop, and we obliterated our old record of manufactured parts in one trip - 338 machined parts, plus a ton of boxes. For two people, that's a lot of chips. Pics incoming because I love y'all!

uLxEvb4.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
That was a very productive week! Congratulations on your success.I use mine daily and am loving it.