• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired [FS] Custom MagAA OFC heatsink

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take two! Keeping an eye out for your PM.

Question: I saw Justin Case's Fraen LP/SSC P4 beamshots in the thread for the original heatsinks. What's the Carlco like? Do you prefer one over the other with the SSC, and can you describe the Carlco beam?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take two! Keeping an eye out for your PM.
Question: I saw Justin Case's Fraen LP/SSC P4 beamshots in the thread for the original heatsinks. What's the Carlco like? Do you prefer one over the other with the SSC, and can you describe the Carlco beam?
Will PM you shortly.

The Carclo 6-degree is optimized for the older Lux1/3. When used upon the said emitters it gives similar beam properties to that of the Fraen LP. It does not work quite well on the SSC P4 though in that the center hotspot (there isn't really much of a hotspot anyway) is not very focused (with the head completely screwed down).

The P4-specific Khatod 10-degree optic works best with this Mag setup. I don't offer these as I don't have extras left, as well as losing a couple of them. It's still available at Photonfanatic (check his CPFMP thread) for just $4 apiece.

@FatRat
I've mistaken you as another member who is interested but then regrets it. Will PM you shortly.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the informative answer, Yazkaz. :)

I should've also asked about using a K2 TFFC with one of your optics as I cannot remember if that emitter's beam profile, and die height is the same as the Lux1/3.

Would you have a recommendation for which optic to use with the newer K2?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should've also asked about using a K2 TFFC with one of your optics as I cannot remember if that emitter's beam profile, and die height is the same as the Lux1/3.
Would you have a recommendation for which optic to use with the newer K2?
This is what I cannot answer, so I left that out in my PM.
Some say the K2 TFFC works well with these optics, but I don't own any of these emitters so I don't know...

However, I wouldn't recommend the K2 with this particular module setup. This Mag system has average heatsinking capability, and anything that runs at 917mA or higher will render the bezel assy warm within minutes of powering up. If accidently left on for extended periods, the whole body will become quite hot.

Also, the K2 slug is too big for this module. As the original creator has stated, you'll have to install the partial module to the Mag body first, fixate it, then solder the wires to the emitter. This is very inconvenient as you cannot swap modules as flexible as you please.

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal:

Two heatsinks, fees, and registered shipping. Thank you for making these available!

Good advice regarding the K2 (gotta' find a use for them one day!). I'll stay with SSC's for these builds; somewhere about 750mA for a cool white, 650mA for a high CRI, and optics from PF.

I'll likely use Shoppe drivers for both, but would REALLY like to get my hands on a multi-level flupic for one of these. Anyone want to sell me a multi-level flupic?

Thanks again, Yazkaz! :thumbsup:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal:

Two heatsinks, fees, and registered shipping. Thank you for making these available!
Good advice regarding the K2 (gotta' find a use for them one day!). I'll stay with SSC's for these builds; somewhere about 750mA for a cool white, 650mA for a high CRI, and optics from PF.

I'll likely use Shoppe drivers for both, but would REALLY like to get my hands on a multi-level flupic for one of these. Anyone want to sell me a multi-level flupic?
750mA driving current is IMO appropriate on a MagAA system. Use a BBNG for optimal boost performance.

That said, I suggest against using Flupic on the MagAA.
I too use Flupic drivers, but only on a TM-301 host with one single 17670. That way at max mode the emitter yields the brightest output. Unfortunately on the TM-303 (Q3) a single 16340 can't yield more brigntness at max mode. In this case output at max and high modes are the same.

Besides, on an unmodified (eg. uncut) MagAA host, you'll need either 14500 or 14670 (plus dedicated spacers for both cells) to run the Flupic.

TNC Products used to carry Flupic boards in various PCB sizes (even the required 14mm) and driving current configs. But since its change of website (to Ogaz) no more Flupics are available. How come? Anyone knows...??

BTW PP received, your canisters will be shipped Monday morning.

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest against using Flupic on the MagAA.

on an unmodified (eg. uncut) MagAA host, you'll need either 14500 or 14670 (plus dedicated spacers for both cells) to run the Flupic.
Excellent advice for the less experienced flashaholic! :p Fortunately, I have both 14500 and 14670 cut bodies.

TNC Products used to carry Flupic boards in various PCB sizes (even the required 14mm) and driving current configs. But since its change of website (to Ogaz) no more Flupics are available. How come? Anyone knows...??
I saw this recently, and don't know the story either. But obviously I've waited too long, and now they're gone. :sigh:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
:p Fortunately, I have both 14500 and 14670 cut bodies.

I saw this recently, and don't know the story either. But obviously I've waited too long, and now they're gone. :sigh:
At least TNC still has the Detonator/MC123 extensions. I have a couple of these and like them very much. Two of them are (almost) permanently on my M3s.

So you have both bodies? Fluted, finned, HAIIIed... by Fivemega??

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you have both bodies? Fluted, finned, HAIIIed... by Fivemega??
Yes... my beautiful, finned, and knurled 14670 by Fivemega in his absolutely gorgeous, gun metal gray HA... ahhhhhhh.... :) (still on sale in his 20% 4th of July Sale 2011 thread!) Pictures don't do it justice... it's like a dark jewel when you see it in person.

And my 14500 black MM, which is the second thing I bought after discovering CPF, and has a lot of sentimental value.

The only sandwich I have is an old, but fantastic CG Peanut/DJ Park POP 2.25 with a LuxIII that has the most awesome vanilla white tint. Just wish it was brighter, but afraid to change emitter because the tint is so nice. Plus, it's using an Auroralite reflector which is better than the 20mm IMS for the LuxIII.

However, with your heatsinks, it'll be great to swap sammies/optics/reflectors around to play a bit of Minimag-lego. Can't thank you enough for making these things. The originals never seem to come up for sale.

fabienne

Enlightened
I'll take 4 sets but I need more information on the optic / reflector for LED compatibility. I'll probably either use nichia 119 or xm-l t3. Please let me know which optic to use preferable for each set (Fraen LP or Carlo).

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take 4 sets but I need more information on the optic / reflector for LED compatibility. I'll probably either use nichia 119 or xm-l t3. Please let me know which optic to use preferable for each set (Fraen LP or Carlo).
I only have THREE sets available.

The Fraen LP and Carclo optics are designed for the older Lux1/3 and will yield a near-square spot beam profile with the said emitters.

Can't comment on the Nichia LED since I have no experience with that, so I don't know if the optics work on this one (eg. resting snug on its substrate while maintaining good focus).

I also don't have experience with the XML either, but some CPFer has stated that these older Lux-based optics may work with the XML with good results.
However, using an XML on this Mag setup means you cannot drive this emitter at very high levels, to avoid overheating (the heatsinking on a MagAA body is not very effective, due to its size and mass). I'd say, 1A will be the max. Unless you don't mind a lowered efficiency of the XML by underdriving it, I'd suggest against using it for the time being.

fabienne

Enlightened
Hi Yazkas,

I'll take the remaining three then with Carlo 6 degree optic. Please PM me with Paypal. Bty I'm in Indonesia so please take into account the additional cost.

Thanks.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take the remaining three then with Carlo 6 degree optic. Please PM me with Paypal. Bty I'm in Indonesia so please take into account the additional cost.
Indonesia is no problem.

There's something I need to clarify. I only have two Carclos in possession and only one of them is still brand-new unused. The other one is very lightly used for some minor testing and fitting, and has the side knob sanded down to some extent (although, not complete). If you don't mind that you can still have both Carclos.

Only the Fraen LPs are blister-packed individually. The Carclos came with no packaging whatsoever, only wrapped in foam when I got them.

Your three sinks have been rechecked, re-polished, and are ready to go. All you need is to decide on the optics choice.
Once you have made your decision, I will PM you with the total cost.

Last edited:

fabienne

Enlightened
Well I'll take two carlos and two Fraen LP then with 3 sets, if you don't mind my buying 4 optics just in case if I decided not to use the used carlos.

smilyize

Newly Enlightened
Re: [FS] Custom MagAA OFC heatsink still available?

still available? If yes, I need 2 heatsink and any ooptic available, thanks.
rustyjack64@yahoodotcom. smilyize

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'll take two carlos and two Fraen LP then with 3 sets, if you don't mind my buying 4 optics just in case if I decided not to use the used carlos.
Rest assured the slightly tried-out Carclo is in excellent condition (except maybe with very light scuffs, which won't affect functionality). Have tried to sand down the side notch because the this notch is affecting the beam profile being projected, but found it quite difficult to, so didn't go further just to preserve the condition of the optic. You'll see the notch is being sanded down, but not way down, and definitely not flush with the slanted surface of the optic.

When it comes to optics it's always a good idea to get a few, just in case. You may end up with a broken or cracked one (if they age out -- they're just plastic), or you may just lose it somewhere.

Anyway I'll work out the total and PM you shortly.

@smilyize Sorry but you may be out of luck.
I only have a few left but that's for my own use so I can't let those go.
I'll check and see if I can still sell one to you, but the price will have to be increased quite a bit.
If however this doesn't work out, then maybe you'll have to wait for the second batch, which won't go through unless I receive enough requests, perhaps 20+ units.