• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired [FS] Custom MagAA OFC heatsink

fabienne

Enlightened
IMG_9894.jpg

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
All heatsinks have been sold out.

I am still open to requests if anyone is still interested, but I'll need to accumulate enough orders (around 20+ units) in order to try to secure another run.

I may open a feeler thread for the second run, but meanwhile feel free to leave your requests here. Please also specify the number of canisters you'll need. Thanks for reading.

smilyize

Newly Enlightened
thanks jazkaz for the reply, anyways, I don't mind if the price is a little higher, PM for price if available, BTW put me down for 2pcs. Mag AA heatsink on your next run.... great day mate......... smilyize

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yazkaz,

Before any more time goes by, I want to let you know the heatsinks came in last week. Didn't have much time to look them over until a couple days ago, so I was dilly-dallying with posting back here.

They look great, and can hardly wait to use em! :thumbsup: Thanks again!

BTW... if you make another run, I'll take one more. I may not be able to buy right away, but will be sure to snag one from ya' at some point (before they run out).

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: [SOLD] Custom MagAA OFC heatsink

Damn. Only 1 sold?
Yes unfortunately......
Back in 2008-09 when the original version came out it was selling like hotcakes. Nearly ten years later I wonder how many would still pursue the joy of modding MagAAs?

Sad......

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened

I am new hear and think Modding Maglites is the most awesome thing ever, all these well built maglites sitting in peoples draws, toolboxes and wardrobes around the globe need an upgrade and they were one of the greatest lights on the market.
Shame Mag never really caught on with LED until years later, dont really get that.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am new hear and think Modding Maglites is the most awesome thing ever, all these well built maglites sitting in peoples draws, toolboxes and wardrobes around the globe need an upgrade and they were one of the greatest lights on the market.
Shame Mag never really caught on with LED until years later, dont really get that.
Original Mag LED products offer little to no possibility for aftermarket modding like with the incandescent MagAA, and/or Mag C/D. And the performance of such native LED products are only average. They're OK for those who have no flashaholic vision and modding skills etc., that they just want a light that can be used out of the box.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK folks anyone interested in purchasing a complete (assembled) upgrade pill for the MagAA mod? I may start offering such option by starting a new sales thread.
All modules built to order, and there will be a limited selection of driver and LED options.
Price won't be low due to the premium components and labor cost involved.
More details when I start the new sales thread.

And for those who still prefer self DIY the copper sinks are still available. Please refer to my current sales thread for detail.

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened

Original Mag LED products offer little to no possibility for aftermarket modding like with the incandescent MagAA, and/or Mag C/D. And the performance of such native LED products are only average. They're OK for those who have no flashaholic vision and modding skills etc., that they just want a light that can be used out of the box.

Ok I thought you were referring to incan maglites, one upside is mag can keep selling newer and brighter LED models as tech improves, since they need to keep selling products, as others have mentioned here, their success in making quality products that last generations makes them unable to keep selling a product that still works and not need replacing. Sadly they dont really seem to be leading the way with LED products which is a shame.

I would have thought that LED models may have been easier to improve, since they would have had the reflector designed for them and simply swap out the module and driver for a better LED?

Either way, i really like the look of maglites, they never really have dated, look pretty modern for something that was introduced 40 years ago!
Perhaps thats why mag are still making and selling incan models? Are modders buying them all? lol

OK folks anyone interested in purchasing a complete (assembled) upgrade pill for the MagAA mod? I may start offering such option by starting a new sales thread.
All modules built to order, and there will be a limited selection of driver and LED options.
Price won't be low due to the premium components and labor cost involved.
More details when I start the new sales thread.

And for those who still prefer self DIY the copper sinks are still available. Please refer to my current sales thread for detail.

Im quite interested myself. Did I see in a thread that this mod delivers 1800 lumens?
I was about to buy the pill off ebay, but are looking at ways this design could be improved.
I dont really want to use a tailswitch, and have a few ideas how this could be done, if i had a lathe, I would be experimenting right now on making a modified heatsink / pill.
I almost was going to buy the one on ebay.
Ideally 2x 14500 would be great, but if you need the extra space in the tube, then perhaps go with a 14650 or 2x 14430.
My idea would be to have the pill push back to switch off and when turned on it presses back up against the housing and makes contact.
Would love to retain the flood to spot focus too if this is possible.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im quite interested myself. Did I see in a thread that this mod delivers 1800 lumens?
I was about to buy the pill off ebay, but are looking at ways this design could be improved.
I dont really want to use a tailswitch, and have a few ideas how this could be done, if i had a lathe, I would be experimenting right now on making a modified heatsink / pill.
I almost was going to buy the one on ebay.
Ideally 2x 14500 would be great, but if you need the extra space in the tube, then perhaps go with a 14650 or 2x 14430.
My idea would be to have the pill push back to switch off and when turned on it presses back up against the housing and makes contact.
Would love to retain the flood to spot focus too if this is possible.
Oh well... looks like you keep challenging on the heatsink's design and even its existence.
Do note that this heatsink is not a do-it-all, plus with the MagAA body form there will be an upper threshold in effective heatsinking.

The design has been set and only slight modification was made to improve the claming onto the MagAA's body. And then you ask for focusability, twisty operation and such?

Maybe this copper heatsink is not for you after all?
Then, try devising a new MagAA heatsink that would solve the problem of this existing one, and which others would be interested in purchasing...

Or, you can just go the old way of making a sandwich module, one that needs a thick o-ring inside the body for retention etc. etc. Good luck with that...

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened

Oh well... looks like you keep challenging on the heatsink's design and even its existence.
Do note that this heatsink is not a do-it-all, plus with the MagAA body form there will be an upper threshold in effective heatsinking.

The design has been set and only slight modification was made to improve the claming onto the MagAA's body. And then you ask for focusability, twisty operation and such?

Maybe this copper heatsink is not for you after all?
Then, try devising a new MagAA heatsink that would solve the problem of this existing one, and which others would be interested in purchasing...

Or, you can just go the old way of making a sandwich module, one that needs a thick o-ring inside the body for retention etc. etc. Good luck with that...

Sorry, i was looking at this thread here and thought he had done the same mod.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ds-The-4M-worlds-brightest-mini-mag-(for-now)

I dont think focus is going to be worth it either after looking into it more.
Even the LED mags that mag themselves sell dont have much of a focus at all even though they advertise them as such.

Right now im trying to find a suitable buck driver and will probably do a similar mod to what Match has done and install the whole module in the head of the torch instead.
His one works without a tailswitch, but he has not shown how he did it.

Im not going to need to go for 1000 lumens, but rather whatever I can achieve with a 1 watt driver. Im not sure what LED to choose, but perhaps a lower wattage LED will be more efficient than a higher wattage one not running at its maximum output?

I have no idea what battery life is going to be at whatever brightness i set the driver to, so will need to do a bit of experimenting.

Latest posts