Fulton MX-991\U (100% complete)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad ya got it finished maelstrom...hope the extra filters and parts come in handy for repairs down the road. Is this the final set-up, or are you puuting a higher powered LED in there?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi folks,

New forum member here. I got a couple of these torches an early one (DT-10S/F) and the latter MX-991/U with switch gaurd.

From the original post I thought the he was talking about the positive contact which appears to be missing in the first picture. I've taken the liberty of posting a couple of photos below showing what it should look like, but since he got them working he may already know, but still ...

Here's what the positive contact in question looks like

imgp0002s.jpg

Hope this info is of use to people.

Regards

Paul

These things are always falling out...maybe Fulton could have secured it with a rivet???

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad ya got it finished maelstrom...hope the extra filters and parts come in handy for repairs down the road. Is this the final set-up, or are you puuting a higher powered LED in there?

Thanks I couldn't have finished this project without your assistance, I'd like to keep it purely as a collector's piece so no modding apart from the repairs/reconditioning already completed ;)

From the original post I thought the he was talking about the positive contact which appears to be missing in the first picture. I've taken the liberty of posting a couple of photos below showing what it should look like, but since he got them working he may already know, but still ...

Here's what the positive contact in question looks like

imgp0002s.jpg

Thanks Paul, I was indeed making reference to the positive contact strip (immediately behind the bulb) though thanks to a parts host I was able to purchase of angelofwar I was able to obtain one, interestingly, your contact strip looks a little different from the item used in both the TL-122 knock-off & aow's host assembly (see below), I also pinched in the strips clip base with pointy nosed pliers to help it "grip" it's mounting :thumbsup:

fultonstrip.jpg

BTW :welcome:

Last edited:

pgmetcalf

Newly Enlightened
I could never understand why they put the switch gaurd on the later models, all it does is get in the way of the signalling mode

PUNK_AND_GOTH

Newly Enlightened
i just got this from work

its a Fulton MX-991/U
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS THIS LENNS FOR AND AM I MISSING ANY

1 RED
1 BLUE
1 WHITE
1 CLEAR
1 CLEAR WITH RIPPLES?

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice score there P&G, the rippled clear reflector is simply a diffuser (redirecting light to a floody type pattern) and can be used in conjunction with any other filter you choose. :thumbsup:

Oh and yes you appear to have the complete kit of alternative filters, AFAIK Fulton have never supplied a green lens like many of the anglehead copies now on the market seem to have :thinking:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
An MX-991/U was the first flashlight I ever actually went out and bought. This was when I was a little kid. My local hardware store had a used one for some reason. A couple years later the switch broke and I was given a new one for my birthday. I still have that one, and use it with the red filter if I need a dim light in the middle of the night.

moxnix6

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know where I might get a couple of the rubber gaskets for this flashlight. I've got one I've had since Vietnam! Still works but the gaskets are falling apart.

Thanks

John

frankiej

Newly Enlightened
I destroyed my Fulton's O-rings by foolishly using petroleum jelly as a lubricant on them. I contacted Fulton customer service via their website, and the wonderful gentleman I contacted sent me several O-rings free of charge.

Conte

Enlightened
Thankfully it's completed now, I don't find non-functioning collectibles as appealing... so for me it was worth the effort, here's that comparison shot with a TL-122 "knock-off" straight away you can feel the difference (though visually they're virtually identical), thinner/lighter plastic construction is definitely less robust, even the beam is of lower quality (poor focus) ;)

img0727zf.jpg
Ahhhhhhah! You have one of those Orange Fulton Knockoffs too.
They're pretty good actually. I've seen a few different knock offs, some are really cheap. This orange dealy, you can run a Metal Fulton reflector in it making it more modifiable. The original reflector is half melted at this point.

Glad to have finally found some Fulton lovers on this site. I've owned alot of lights, my trusty Fulton is still my go to light.

Yeah, I've had to repair the switch. Sadly the Fulton does have a weak link.

Here are some of mine. I have to more not seen here. Featuring a cameo appearance of my Hotwire Mag11/85 in the back and my Xenon Surefire wannabe EDC across the front. You'll notice in my pics, the switch rivets on all 3 lights have been replaced with screws as I've had to repair or adjust the switch on all three.

DSCN2503.jpg

All Lit up.
Mr.Orange is running an HPR51@8watts with a 2x18650 Li-Ion Battery Stick.
Mr.Black is currently running Overdriven HPR44 @ 9Watts w/ 2x26650 Lifepo4 batteries.
Finally Grandpa Fulton, which I've been through a similar rebuild process with is running an early 3watt Mag-Led modual w/ 2x 12000mAh NiMH D-Cells.

DSCN2498.jpg

Pictures of said batteries.

DSCN2507.jpg

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice score there P&G, the rippled clear reflector is simply a diffuser (redirecting light to a floody type pattern) and can be used in conjunction with any other filter you choose. :thumbsup:

Oh and yes you appear to have the complete kit of alternative filters, AFAIK Fulton have never supplied a green lens like many of the anglehead copies now on the market seem to have :thinking:

Actually, Fulton did supply orange and green filters with the gray-straight bodied navy/aviation lights (N42's)...where do you think I got mine??? LOL! Check out http://www.fultonindoh.com

moxnix6

Newly Enlightened
Fulton was very kind to send me new gaskets for my MX-991/U. Now it's perfect except for a few dings from my Army days!

John

frankiej

Newly Enlightened
Fulton was very kind to send me new gaskets for my MX-991/U. Now it's perfect except for a few dings from my Army days!

John

Splendid! It's wonderful to know that an American company is still standing behind its products for all these years.

cascadien

Newly Enlightened
Ahhhhhhah! You have one of those Orange Fulton Knockoffs too.
They're pretty good actually. I've seen a few different knock offs, some are really cheap. This orange dealy, you can run a Metal Fulton reflector in it making it more modifiable. The original reflector is half melted at this point.

Glad to have finally found some Fulton lovers on this site. I've owned alot of lights, my trusty Fulton is still my go to light.

Yeah, I've had to repair the switch. Sadly the Fulton does have a weak link.

Here are some of mine. I have to more not seen here. Featuring a cameo appearance of my Hotwire Mag11/85 in the back and my Xenon Surefire wannabe EDC across the front. You'll notice in my pics, the switch rivets on all 3 lights have been replaced with screws as I've had to repair or adjust the switch on all three.

DSCN2503.jpg

All Lit up.
Mr.Orange is running an HPR51@8watts with a 2x18650 Li-Ion Battery Stick.
Mr.Black is currently running Overdriven HPR44 @ 9Watts w/ 2x26650 Lifepo4 batteries.
Finally Grandpa Fulton, which I've been through a similar rebuild process with is running an early 3watt Mag-Led modual w/ 2x 12000mAh NiMH D-Cells.

DSCN2498.jpg

Pictures of said batteries.

DSCN2507.jpg

Hi, i just joined the forum and had a question about the Fultons. i just purchased a stock Fulton MX-991/U and would like to replace the standard bulb with an LED, and after reading this post id like to up the power cells for better performance than regular D-cells. if anyone has any recommendations as where to source the proper parts and also help me to i.d. any parts or make me aware on any special process's that may be needed for such a swap it will be greatly appreciated & thanx in advance!:candle:
Conte, you have some real nice fultons posted here btw, thanx for the pics!:twothumbs

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, Fulton did supply orange and green filters with the gray-straight bodied navy/aviation lights (N42's)...where do you think I got mine??? LOL! Check out http://www.fultonindoh.com

I've seen those grey bodied lights on "the bay" before... but my response was they were never supplied with the anglehead's as standard kit (I pinched mine out of the knock-off) ;)

Welcome to the forum Fulton collectors! :thumbsup:

FWIW I'm glad you were able to source parts from Fulton directly moxnix6 I was not as successful being an international customer and all hence the scavenging and assistance from forum members...

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like I need to rebuild my switch as the light flickers randomly while in use.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Conte

Enlightened
Yup, I've had to redo the switch on 2 out of 3.

They have metal parts in them who's action requires them to flex and bend.

After a while these "stay bent" then they don't make proper contact.

In most cases, rebuilding the switch means just getting in there, and forming the piece back into a workable shape, and maybe polishing up the contacts.

The biggest part of this is getting the switch apart, which makes it feel like a rebuild. Once you get it apart, and put it back together using Screws instead of rivets, then you can get into there a lot easier after words.
It now becomes less like a rebuild and more like a typical maintenance thing to do.

The rivets are made of soft brass, if you have a drill, the right sized drill bit, a small sharp knife, and some sort of small punch, you can make quick work of it.