G2 Saves Life (Surefire testimonial)

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's not just the light, but what you do with it that counts. You have to use it and this requires training and practice.

Al

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my 3-step Method...

1) Blind him with light
2) Pepperspray him like mad
3) Kick him while he's down, then run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

123a

Newly Enlightened
There was no stopping this guy with just a light. This guy was someone I once knew from years before who just went crazy, otherwise if I didn't know this guy he would probably be dead right now. Thats why I chose the lesser method of letting him get close enough to render him unconcious, since I knew he was unarmed. I would have been much more afraid if it was a complete stranger and would have drawn down on him, as this guy was in an unbeleivable rage. After he got back up from being knocked out he still was after me. I had to sprint to get away. Anyway just be prepared for anything. Guess thats why I carry a glock and a sebenza /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW the only reason I didn't just leave instead of sticking around and getting into the fight is because he was trying to get in the car and drive off after we found him sleeping in the middle of the street.

After reading my post I realize I must sound like a crazy man(glock, sebenza, and m6) Just another night out on the street. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
He would get his head pounded while the Kumkkang was still warming up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah,,, not so. I saw the Kumkang today at Tactical Warehouse, and Dan let me test his personal light out! He first lit up an SF M6 with new batteries, and let it shine on the wall. I lit up the Kumkang, and in a split second, it was throwing a brighter beam than the M6! Then it just kept getting brighter for about 8-10 seconds, and then it kept getting warmer in color for about another ten seconds. The light was beautiful! Very nice spectrum, far superior to my L4 or my E2E. It is focusable, but with a hot spot that remains while you focus. The spill is mainly what changes... none of that weirdness you get from a cheap focusable light! On top of everything else, if someone tried to pound you while you are holding a Kumkang, I doubt he'd get away with it. You could clobber someone with that thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif
David <><

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
123a,
Your argument against using light as an option could be used to argue against anything, OC, 9mm, 5.56/.223, whatever. Nothing works every time. Never expect anything to work the first time, or one shot. The light just gives you another option that hopefully will work, but at the least it can provide a distraction while you or another person use a different option.
I think light is most effective in very dim locations where a person's eyes are adapted to the dark. A bright light then will usually cause pain, blind them, and when you sut the light off a second later, they will no longer have any night vision, and hopefully a few distracting spots.
Add a can of OC to your daily carry to give you one more option. And you don't sound too crazy. HK, Benchmade, 9P, Sabre (until I find a replacement cannister for my ASP Key Defender locally since I refuse to pay as much for shipping as the can costs and/or a can of Fox).

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I use a SF G2 with P61 bulb.. I run at night, mostly on the road with some trail running.. I was being heckled by a bunch of punk kids around 16-17 years old that thought it would be fun to drive back and forth and yell and scream at the runner.. Well I waited till one of the kids was half way out the window yelling his head off at me, then stopped turned and blasted him from about 10 feet right in the eyes. His head flew back so quick he hit his head on the top of car. I'm sure the welt on his head was reminding him not to heckle the night time runners anymore..

Bonus: WHY MEN DO NOT ASK FOR DIRECTIONS..

Windows Media File

http://mar10stuff.com/directionsad.mpeg

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I took my certification for baton use, we were shown a few techniques utilizing a collapsible baton in the closed position. There are 2 or 3 moves that I could do using my Scorpion or E1.

IMHO, the Mini-M*g offers one of the best options for use as a defensive tool. It's length and construction lends itself to being used as an impact weapon and applying pressure to bony areas if grappling. Hmm... maybe I should do a web page about it?

*******EDIT***********

Thinking about it, the Mini is better at being a weapon than a flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

123a

Newly Enlightened
Unicorn, I was not trying to make it sound like you shouldnt use a light as option. Just saying it should by no means be all you rely on. No doubt a strong light especially when pulsed can blind someone for a shot period of time and allow you to do something else. Sometimes a light is all you need, sometimes it's not enough. IMHO I don't consider it much of a weapon, more of a tool.

Blikbok

Enlightened
My position has always been to not expect people to react to an SF in the eyes as a gunshot to the face. If it works, great, it's one less use of violent force.

But too many times, the implication is that a handheld flashlight is treading on the heels of a phaser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just as one anecdote of it not working doesn't disprove it, anecdotes of it working don't prove it.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Unicorn, 123a, and Blikbok all have good points. Nothing works every time. I have had various reactions from various bad guys to 6p/12zm/9nt/M6/10x lights in the face ranging from falling over backwards to indifference to 500lu at 10'. They are tools like any other that you have to learn how to use and understand it's strengths and weaknesses.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
As a no longer young civilian with some health isues I believe the best option for me, and perhaps some others, is bright light as a momentary diversion followed immediately by FOX 5,000,000 SHU spray. It's identical to the Tigerlight strategy which can also be accomplished as EDC with one of the "superbright" 123's (Taclite. TACM III, PM6) plus a separate FOX unit. However, you must train yourself and develop your specific deployemnt technique, and then practice until it's second nature. I ythink of it as SSR: Surprise (stun), Spray and Run (or remove yourself as quickly as possible.) According to LEO reports Fox has a very high success rate, but like anything else it can fail and it's best to have some kind of backup plan, even a weak one which is better than no plan.

Unless you're in good shape and relatively young and strong, actual contact even with a stun gun is probably best avoided.

Brightnorm

Latest posts