Gas from NIMH venting dangerous???

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
Hey all ,

as mentioned in my other thread the eneloops in my ld20 vented. I opened the light 3 times after the tailcap bulged out 3 times because of the internal pressure.
Now I`M wondering if the gas that vented is very dangerous ...
Should I be worried ?
I mean gas from lithium`s venting is very dangerous but what about eneloops (aka nimh) ?

Thank`s in advance !

CuNim

Newly Enlightened
Yes we never really got an answer in that thread :whistle:

I think I read on another thread in the depths of the forum that the gas that escapes is Hydrogen. I guess that would make sense given it's a 'hydride'.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

NiOOH

Enlightened
The gas venting from an abused NiMH cell is hydrogen, no oxygen mixed. In such small amounts is not toxic, but as said, is highly flammable and forms explosive mixtures with air. Usualy, a small amount of electrolyte also leaks out during venting. This is concentrated aqueous solution of potassium hydroxyde and can cause severe burns in contact with skin. it is also corrosive to aluminium.

digitor

Newly Enlightened
The gas venting from an abused NiMH cell is hydrogen, no oxygen mixed. In such small amounts is not toxic,

Even in large amounts, hydrogen is not toxic. It has been used to replace nitrogen in gas used in very deep diving to avoid nitrogen absorbtion and its attendant problems. Other problems however, (such as its explosive potential when combined with oxygen) outweigh its usefulness.

A bit of trivia, but I just thought people might like to know! :whistle:

Cheers

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your comments !!!

It makes me feel alot better to know that the gas venting from my nimh / lsd cells is not really a concern in terms of toxication etc..
After reading ALOT of cr123 venting threads I am going to get rid of most of my cr 123 based lights.
But nimh seems to be a minor problem even when venting occurs , in my case probably because of a cheap charger with dual charging bays.

Anyway now thank`s to you all I´m again pretty confident with Nimh/lsd rechargables.

Thank you all.