Gatlight Issue - Low Output

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard back from Walter via email. He said leaving the battery in with the knob screwed down (for dim) could result in the spring or whatever could compress. He recommends unscrewing the knob and let it sit for 24 hours to decompress.

Mine has been lying unscrewed for 48 hours now. I checked the system with my finger, it should work normally now.

If I had known how the system worked before, I would never have let it for months with the know turned in. Compressed springs always ge tired and this one needs to push the piston completely back for maximum output. In fact, it is like the opposite of a piston drive, where the springs needs to retain the piston back to not make a contact. What's more, this is not simply on/off, this controls brightness from min to max. I also understand now why the brightness goes back a bit, once you leave the know, it's thread play. Same thing for pushing the knob to make the light temprary dimmer.

verbie

Enlightened
Mine has been lying unscrewed for 48 hours now. I checked the system with my finger, it should work normally now.
It should work, so IS IT WORKING? :grin2: I just want to verify because I have the same problem. Left the knob unscrewed for a while, but I still have the same problem. If your problem is resolved, then I did something wrong. Please let me know! :D

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should work, so IS IT WORKING? :grin2: I just want to verify because I have the same problem. Left the knob unscrewed for a while, but I still have the same problem. If your problem is resolved, then I did something wrong. Please let me know! :D

I just checked the light and while I can't be sure if it is really full power, I would say it is, it seems quite bright.

The best test would be to check with your finger, you should feel if the little piston comes out completely or not. You also can let it work this way, perhaps something is dirty and a little bit stuck?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm about to order one of the gatlight from walter but this thread has got me wondering if I should rethink?????

Will, this thread is good learning experience for you so you can keep it up if you do get one. They are a beautiful piece of artwork.

Bill

verbie

Enlightened
Okay, I tried it again. It seems bright again. :D I will wait awhile and try it again, just to make sure I won't have anymore problems.

Daz: The Gatlight is really beautiful. As Bullzey say, use this thread as a learning experience. No one is really having irreversible problems.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I'm counting my blessings that the Ver3 I just bought from Zoran seems to be working perfectly. I always thought these were one of the most uniquely made/looking small LED lights, and having it in person--far surpassed my expectations.

How exactly do you guys remove the "light engine"? Are you grabbing the center piston that appears to have a retaining clip, and just pulling it out the bottom? Nothing needs to be unscrewed? Does that plastic lens/cone ever deteriorate where you might want a spare replacement?

I also wonder why Gatlight/Lumencraft members aren't here anymore?

GLOCK18

Enlightened
The LE is held in place by a black rubber gasket, if you remove the gasket the LE will come right out. To install the LE, drop it in the tube them you will need a small plastic tube to seat the gasket back in place.

Dsc00764.jpg

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Glock18, thanks! Just so I don't break anything, I can see the rubber outer "washer" like you show surrounding the lighting element...but do you just simply grab the center piston rod and pull it back, or do you remove the rubber washer, and then the center LE assembly unscrews?

Also, with such a great product, do you know why the Lumencraft member(s) don't visit CPF? I think it would reassure people who are considering purchasing the new model they list on their website.

GLOCK18

Enlightened
You need to first remove the rubber washer, if you gave some long needle noose pliers to grab the washer they work the best, or you can use a long pick careful not to rip it. Don't pull up on the center piston it's easy to miss it up you will end up with only high if you pull to hard on the center piston ( Learned the hard way). Once you remove the washer the LE just fall out. Nothing is screwed in just pressure from the rubber washer holds it in.

I tried emailing Walter some time ago never heard back from him.

Glock18, thanks! Just so I don't break anything, I can see the rubber outer "washer" like you show surrounding the lighting element...but do you just simply grab the center piston rod and pull it back, or do you remove the rubber washer, and then the center LE assembly unscrews?

Also, with such a great product, do you know why the Lumencraft member(s) don't visit CPF? I think it would reassure people who are considering purchasing the new model they list on their website.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same issue as others here - doesn't get much brighter than 3-5 lumens or so. The contact form on the official website is broken, and I couldn't get the wholesale form to work, so here I am.
I heard back from Walter via email. He said leaving the battery in with the knob screwed down (for dim) could result in the spring or whatever could compress. He recommends unscrewing the knob and let it sit for 24 hours to decompress.
I'm going to try that and see if my light works better by tomorrow.

EDIT: That did the trick - back to full output.

Last edited: