GE-4556 available again!

BVH

Flashaholic
The description fits but the pic doesn't. It should show a flatter and non-diffused glass window. Would probably take a call to them to verify. Good find.

japudjuha

Enlightened
I made contact with the seller and its actually Norman Lamps Inc.
They said its identical to the GE 4556, screw terminals single filament, clear lens and all.

I thin I'm going to order one.
can someone with a GE4556 please post some pics of one so I know what I am looking
at.
THANKS!
James

BVH

Flashaholic
Here ya go.

Filament

Profile in a light host

Raw lamp profile - this is of a Q4559X but the profile is the same.

Clear lens - again, it's the Q-Lamp but the lens is the same.

japudjuha

Enlightened
Well, I ordered a 4556 from Norman Lamps.
I have been assured it is identical to the old GE-4556.
When it arrives here in OZ, I will post some pics.

Hopefully this will end up being the real deal!

japudjuha

Enlightened
I have fitted the 4556 to one of my LarryK's

I can confirm that it is 1000w, and easily plug and play with Jimmy's fantastic regulator.
I measured 1250watts (+/-) overdriven at 30v compared to 642watts@30v for the Q4599X. That's 41.5 amps!!
Nice to able to brag that I have a 1.2kW handeld!

Even though the lamp is nearly double the LK14's 650w, it's not twice as bright.
The beam is slightly wider than the Q4559X as well as being and circular instead of 16:9.
Like this:

The 4556 is also brighter than the 600w. It might be somewhere close to 20-25K lumens, but given that the beam is larger, the CP isn't that much, if at all, greater.
You end up with one very big, super bright hot spot.

It's almost a shame you can't adjust the focus of the filament to further collimate the light, even so the sheer volume of light is amazing.

I was initially underwhelmed by the output. But just having finished my HID & 64663 Hyperblitz's,
I guess that desensitised me somewhat.
I love my Polarion but this makes the PH40 look like a candle.
Whats next?

The twins 4556 on left, Q4559X on right.

Last edited:

japudjuha

Enlightened
Haha yeah.
I ceiling bounce tested it last night and I squinted hard from how much it lit the room up.
It really is laugh out loud bright.

BVH

Flashaholic
Interesting and bad news for me a least.....My Norman 4556 is consuming 22.6 Amps at 28.00 Volts (at the terminals) for a blistering 632.8 Watts. I hooked up a 4559x at the same time and the increase in current flow to 45.6 Amps was as expected so my 40V/75Amp Variable DC power supply is not the problem. The filament is 3 circles but it looks very thin, thinner than the Q4556. I'm going to ask for a replacement. I used 8AWG cable all the way from the PS.

Japudjuha, how did you test your power level? Input to the board or output from the board?

japudjuha

Enlightened
I used an inline wattmeter. This gave me volts, amps and wattage readings in real time. I measured input to the board, and my peak reading was actually 1349watts @ 30v.

The interesting bit is that I did this back to back with my 600w larryk, and that measured 653w @ 30v.

I just had another look at both filaments and my 4556 is also 3 coils and is thinner than the 600w version.

japudjuha

Enlightened
Now you've got me wondering BVH. I only have one set of batteries so can only operate one at a time.
I think I'll double check my readings on both at the lamp terminals.

BVH did you have a chance to see the beam pattern at night?

BVH

Flashaholic
No not this particular lamp but I have seen the Genuine GE 4556 (no installed in my LarryK) pattern at about 350 Yards and it's definitely round as your drawing above shows.

Latest posts