General/Boat Flashlight

AlBasser

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody. I am in search of a quality flashlight that will hopefully last a long time and meet my personal needs. In my search I have found the number of flashlights available to be overwhelming, even from just a few manufacturers. I am positive there are still many manufacturers that I am unaware of. For this reason I have decided to simply ask the nice folks here at Candle Power Forums who can give me an educated recommendation. Mainly I need a flashlight for fishing at night sometimes out of a kayak. The kayak part is what will demand higher performance/durability. I will also be using this light for general use and it will stay in my truck until fishing or hunting time.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

No preference. I am located in northern Alabama.

2) Budget:

Obviously the lower the price the better, but I would like to keep it under $200.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

EDC size would be best. It will need to be able to fit into a pocket of my shirt or life vest, or an easily accessible holster while sitting in a kayak. Accessibility while in my kayak is my biggest concern.

5) Emitter/Light source:

I would prefer LED but I am open to any suggestions.

6) Manufacturer:

No preference of specific manufacturer as long as it is ready to use out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

Disposable batteries would be preferable. The ability to use rechargeable would be nice but not a necessity. No proprietary rechargeable batteries.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?

Bright enough to light up a small field sized area before entering, but a low light mode for changing bait etc.

9) Flood vs Throw:

More flood would be better I think. A wider area of view would be more important than seeing a small spot a mile away where I fish.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light

1-50 yards

10) Runtime:

Because of my disposable battery preference a longer battery life would be preferable.

11) Durability/Usage:

Very important. I will not abuse it, but it will be used in rough outdoors conditions.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

No preference

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

At least 2 light levels and a strobe/SOS/any other flashing mode for safety.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anything but plastic.

15) Water resistance

Water resistance is very important. It will get wet on nearly every outing.

16) Storage conditions

Normally in truck tool box when not in use.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

A pocket clip that can clip onto a hat bill would be great but nothing a really needed.

Thanks everybody.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Quark Pro or Tactical low voltage XML head with an optional 1xAA tube would meet ALL your criteria - that's a QP2A-X or QT2A-X + 1xAA tube. Runs on any battery chemistry in single cell form, and many in dual cell form. Excellent 10yr warranty and HQ/CS right from your neighboring state. Make sure you get some thick silicone lube and use it regularly on the O-rings for boating. Also used a lanyard or keychain floatie.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it helps your search one of our local boat yards sells only the Fenix brand because the owner likes them and uses them and can recommend with confidence,i buy from him as i always snag a 10% discount.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Too bad you are not looking at one of the many polymer bodied lights for your application, You mention water but not what kind. Fresh water and aluminum bodied lights do fairly well. Salt water and aluminum be carefull. I keep a Surefire G2 in my Seadoo tool kit. It has a short section of 1 inch ID foam tubing attached to the body right behind the bezel. Just enough to keep it afloat should if fall out of my hands. Basic dollar store fluorescent colored. Certainly keeps it from going to the bottom!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad you are not looking at one of the many polymer bodied lights for your application, You mention water but not what kind. Fresh water and aluminum bodied lights do fairly well. Salt water and aluminum be carefull. I keep a Surefire G2 in my Seadoo tool kit. It has a short section of 1 inch ID foam tubing attached to the body right behind the bezel. Just enough to keep it afloat should if fall out of my hands. Basic dollar store fluorescent colored. Certainly keeps it from going to the bottom!

Good advice,i use a special float-able key ring which will stand the weight of most reasonable size lights.

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
I found headlamps get the most use while I'm fishing

As of now , the HC90vn is my goto for fishing.
Not just because its my newest but ,MUCH easier switch,USB rechargeable , , RBG leds
I like the size of The H600 MKII better but the switch was a PITA compared to the HC90.
But then again ,I'm not sure on how much abuse the switch on the HC90 will take

AlBasser

Newly Enlightened
A Quark Pro or Tactical low voltage XML head with an optional 1xAA tube would meet ALL your criteria - that's a QP2A-X or QT2A-X + 1xAA tube. Runs on any battery chemistry in single cell form, and many in dual cell form. Excellent 10yr warranty and HQ/CS right from your neighboring state. Make sure you get some thick silicone lube and use it regularly on the O-rings for boating. Also used a lanyard or keychain floatie.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have researched this light and find it to be very appealing. This appears to meet my needs more so than any other I have looked into so far. I am curious of the light output when used with a single AA battery. I have read about a 14500 battery that may be an option, but more research will be necessary on my part, and from my understanding the 14500 cell is rechargeable. The availability and price of AA batteries is a huge plus for me.

If it is made of a high quality (durable) composite material I am open to suggestions. I fish mainly in fresh water. Do you have any further suggestions? I researched the Surefire G2 you mentioned but am unsure if it will meet my other needs/wants. From my understanding this light only has one mode available and can only be changed by swapping lamps.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the suggestion. I have researched this light and find it to be very appealing. This appears to meet my needs more so than any other I have looked into so far. I am curious of the light output when used with a single AA battery. I have read about a 14500 battery that may be an option, but more research will be necessary on my part, and from my understanding the 14500 cell is rechargeable. The availability and price of AA batteries is a huge plus for.

The light will do something in the 180-200 lumen range on 1x ~1.5V Alkalines, L91 Lithium Primaries, or Rechargeable NiMh Eneloops but the Alks will decline quickly under heavy draw scenarios. It will do 360-400 lumens on 1x 3V+ CRAA Lithium Primaries, or Rechargable 14500 Li-ion cells, or 2x the previously mentioned 1.5v cells.

If you use your lights a lot, Eneloops or 14500s rechargeables will quickly pay-off, although you need to understand the operating parameters for Li-ions.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I don't remember the range of the Quark's, but, the beam is not floody. as desired, and I'm not sure what the light's cd is....but its probably a bit shy of what you describe.

To see a bobber for example at ~ 50 meters, in calm water, you'd need roughly 2 lux on the bobber to see if its moving, as a minimum, depending upon your night vision/adaptation, etc. (Red/white round, ~ 3" diameter, etc) If its a target closer to say a black hula popper, you'd need closer to 15 lux. (A white froth flash, etc, can be seen with closer to 2 lux typically though)

To get 2 lux on a bobber 50 meters away, the light would need ~ 5k cd.

To get 15 lux on it 50 m away, you'd need closer to ~ 37.5k cd.

With lower contrast conditions, you'd need more lux than that, and, a proportionally higher cd. Seeing rings from nearby action requires a wider beam (Flood) unless you are continually scanning back and forth, etc.