Generic Eneloops?

Caesis

Newly Enlightened
So, I read something awhile back that duracell rechargeable made in japan were ripoff eneloops. But now Duracell has so many rechargeable batteries from diff countries and mAhs that I don't know what to get.

The bottom line: I need some new AA and AAA rechargeable and I want them to be good. Can anyone help me out? :candle:

entoptics

Enlightened
Genuine Eneloops from Amazon.com (find the seller with free shipping) will run you about $10 for a 4 pack.

This is only marginally more expensive than any Duracell offering at a brick and mortar store, and cheaper than most Pre-charged cells.

The only decent, cheep alternative to the Eneloops that I know of are the Rayovac 4.0 (Hybrid) low self discharge. By most accounts they are not as good as Eneloops, but they are generally only 2/3 the cost so they are quite good value. I have several, and the performance in flashlights is on par with the eneloops. I haven't tested their self discharge rates, but they are certainly WAY better than the regular NiMHs I own (duracell, sony, and energizer).

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I read something awhile back that duracell rechargeable made in japan were ripoff eneloops.
No. The "Made in Japan" 2000mAh pre-charged Duracells ARE Eneloops. Same cells, just a different label, and commonly referred to here as "Duraloops".

Edit: But, you will also find "Made in China" cells in almost identical Duracell packaging, and those are not Eneloops.

Last edited:

fishinfool

Enlightened
Yeah, get the original Eneloops ;)

You can buy them at Costco now I believe.

+1 on the Costco Eneloops. They last longer that the original eneloops and come in different colors. I just bought 2 of the Costco eneloop packs and just love them plus they come with a free Sanyo charger. :twothumbs

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be caeful where you buy your Eneloops from. There have been numerous reports here in CPF of members buying what they thought were real Eneloops when in reality they were very realistic looking fakes. Do a seach for something like "fake Eneloop" and you'll see the results.

Because of that, I only buy my Eneloops from reputable dealers. I may end up paying more, but at least I'm getting what I'm paying for. I avoid Deal Extreme, Kaidomain, and eBay at all costs when it comes to buying Eneloop batteries. Amazon is listed on the Eneloop website as an official dealer so I just recently bought some from them and they were the real things. Note that I specifically bought them from Amazon and not another dealer selling them through Amazon. Battery Junction also sells the real deals, as I found out by buying some from them as well. Costco is also listed on the Eneloop website as an official dealer.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They're not fake Eneloops. They're the real thing. They just have a Duracell label wrapped around them instead.

As has already been mentioned above, avoid Duracell rechargeables that are Black topped, and Made in China. Those are crap. The genuine eneloops with Duracell wraps are White topped and Made in Japan.

Last edited:

Caesis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!
I'll be buying a mess of stuff on amazon, I'll just add these to the list. :)

Follow up question: How do they do in normal NiMH chargers? Should I shell out an extra 7 bucks for the official charger, or will my old reliable raynovac charger charge them right?

Thank you all for your responses.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The old charger should work. If it's a 15-minute Fast Charger, consider investing in one that takes more time. Those Fast Chargers can shorten the useful life of rechargeable cells.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You're old charger should work. If it's a 15-minute Fast Charger, consider investing in one that takes more time. Those Fast Chargers can shorten the useful life of rechargeable cells.

The rayovac 15 minute charger only charged "special" rayovac batteries at that rate, other batteries charged slower, I think taking at least an hour perhaps more.

pae77

Enlightened
I'm not paying a member fee to shop in a store. . . .
Each to their own. But imo, Costco is well worth paying a membership fee for. I save (or earn) literally several thousands of dollars per year through my Costco membership on various things and benefits that I wouldn't otherwise have access to (not just on Eneloops of course). Plus their return policy is awesome. Well worth the $50 annual fee to me.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each to their own. But imo, Costco is well worth paying a membership fee for. Plus their return policy is awesome. Well worth the $50 annual fee to me.

I can't find much to complain about the $50 fee, either, when I use my coupon for $70 off a set of tires for my car. With their decent prices combined with their regular coupons, you can recoup the $50 in a couple visits, easily. But what's up with their car battery prices? A few years ago a battery for my Corolla cost $37.99. A few years later, a replacement cost $59.99! Supposed rated "capacity" went up a few Ah, but the physical package is the same size, so not sure that justifies a 60% jump in price. When they prorated the replacement, I still ended up paying $9 more for the replacement than I did for the original, which is like not having any prorated warranty at all if they continue to skyrocket those car battery prices up every few years.

Last edited:

a1penguin

Newly Enlightened
And don't forget the food court and $13 blue jeans! I don't think I get my $50 back, but I still splurge for the annual membership.

fishinfool

Enlightened
Talk about the food court, the prices of hotdogs and pizza's are the same as they were when I was in Alaska almost 10 years ago. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nevermind.

I made my main point regarding the subject of this thread.

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no generic Eneloops.

Talk about the food court, the prices of hotdogs and pizza's are the same as they were when I was in Alaska almost 10 years ago. :)

All I can remember is more than ten years ago when the price of a hot dog and pizza jumped 50% when Costco took over Price Club! But then, Price Club never sold Eneloops, either... generic or otherwise. (Just to stay on topic, of course!) :rolleyes: