GET-TOGETHER - FCW-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
YaHoo, another hoedown!

I arrived at around 10 AM on Saturday and, en route to the main campsite found sledhead with two of the three (Yup, THREE!!!) women who accompanied him--the beautiful Mrs.S and a real dog, Lola! Fortunately, Lola IS a real beautiful canine!! Ho, ho. Lovely daughter Cory was back at the family RV, cooking up Mrs.'s S's world famous New Jersey Onion soup and, her very own Sledhead Mac 'N Cheese. They attempted to ignore me but, that's usually fruitless. A little down the road and into the campsite I was greeted by none other than TranquilityBase, and, shortly thereafter, his lovely wife Kathy. This power couple by the way, have the honor of having traveled the furthest to get to this reunion! Scott spent several weeks on the road ("On the Road Again") in his 1927 pick-em-up and Kathy made it to Hickory Run by way of France and the Netherlands (?!! Most impressive for the two! Stan671 was by the first campfire with his two accomplices from the Big Apple, Robyn, veteran from the Lackawanna extravaganza last Fall and, the now-famous Neil Diamond impressionist, Gabi...."with a G"! KartRacer31, the designated driver and official Ringmaster Extraordinaire AND, last but certainly never least, none other than the man of a thousand useful tools, Lighthouse one. I stress "useful" since possessing useLESS tools generally is a prerequisite of attendance. "Bill" frequently lends sanity and PRACTICALITY (I personally have no familiarity with that word) which gives him the distinction of saving the day in many events. Saturday, as a prime example, Bill conjured up a most functional griddle and stove which functioned perfectly in heating up the pulled pork later in the day. Thanks Bill, saved my A__....errr....day!

The time seemed to fly until Dizzy and Dizzy II (Daniel, Son of Mike) arrived and, extracted the now infamous "Largest Tarp in the World"---sparkling new after wet and dry cleaning as well as storage in Dizzy's garage, forcing Dizzy to park his beloved classic fleet of cars in the open! When all you good folks kick in your fair $ share to Tim, be sure to check the bill out for the line "DSC"---DizzySurCharge---for the cleaning and storage for "The World's Largest Tarp". Time "stood still" after the Dizzy arrival since all available hands on deck were recruited for the erection of the "The Big Blue Bomb" circus tent. All the guys were awarded honorary Engineering/Designer degrees and, 911 was dialed....but only once! (I failed to note that I had previously slipped away to deliver contraband to sledhead and his bevy of beauties! Ah what a relief it was!)

Later in the day, and, not long after our dreams of a perfect (spell that DRY!) weekend were all but shattered, Sandy, Ginger Corey and Lola all arrived in the family Scout RV, approximating the weekend Meals on Wheels but featuring Mrs.'s S's now famous NJOS (New Jersey Onion Soup) and Sledhead Mac "N cheese! Hit the spot I'll say considering the otherwise damp and chilly atmosphere! "Thanks" I hope we all said, "great stuff"!!!

Under the Big Top Scott and Stan spend some time divided among splitting wood, masterminding campfire chimneys, diverting accumulating water from Big Blue and, creating smoked CPF members!

Shortly thereafter, aginthelaw and his two accomplices arrived and added their tent/shelter to the growing CPF structure. Gabi began leading the Neil Diamond choir and, all gazed in wonder at the Hickory Run Blast Furnace TB had created with mere hollowed-out logs! Now we know the inspiration for the TV series, "Forged in Fire"! Atta Boy Scott!

A late arriver but, victorious nevertheless, Bimmerboy roared up in his trusty M3, portable Wolf Range and Chili in tow! We briefly discussed his secret weapon used in igniting newspaper from afar using photons vs matches, the like of which I have only witnessed through video! I need to see this in person!

Well, that's the (temporary) story as I recall it. I left shortly thereafter, all present agreeing I needed some serious beauty rest. Ya'll all come back now, ya hear?

Karl

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post Script

Thanks to all who made this happen, especially Tim, who does all the hard work behind the scenes. A round of applause and the financial ($) support should all be directed Tim's way. Thank you!:goodjob:

Karl

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know, I was thinking about this when I got up this morning. I reread my first "post" and suddenly realized (an epiphany??) I had missed so much of the really IMPORTANT aspects of this campout! Duh!

I "started" here as a member of CPF some years ago, interested in "flashlights". So much time has passed since then. The impetus for this past weekend was still flashlights but, I just noticed I didn't use the word once in my post since getting back. I'd dare say if you weren't there you'd not know what the trip was all about! Well, there actually WERE some "flashlights" believe it or not! Aginthelaw had a table out and produced boxes of "goodies" INcluding (!) some flashlights! Some folks actually traded and bought flashlights! Stan....? Sledhead and I thought we'd have a "shootout" with some of the big "guns" we'd recently blown our retirement acquiring and, while we did warm up some bark on neighboring trees, no "shootout"!

Seems that, as in many of these get-togethers, what brings us all together is the friendships and the fun...FUN???? What fun?? If you were there, you know and if you weren't and can envision the personalities you know. The "fire" that created our common interest in our favorite "toys" still is there but, the old and new friendships and the food and the Blue Tarp City construction project and yes, even the rain (!) contributed (and, EVERYBODY contributed to the fun!) in the weekend being a hit. Turned out the fire, with the TranquilityBase smokestacks was, by far, the largest illumination source but, it sure did add greatly to the real and figurative warmth in the group. While the Morton Salt Girl emblem was the more appropriate logo for any caps we might have worn, it STILL was a "flashlight" convention, albeit on a smaller scale.

The bottom line is that when folks who haven't seen you in a looooong time greet you with a smile, a handshake, a hug and show they really did miss ya, it's the making of a good time, rain, smoke and yes, even with a dearth of Hollywood lighting effects! Thanks everybody for a weekend that will be long remembered for one where Noah's Ark was more appropriate than a tent!

Karl

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know, I was thinking about this when I got up this morning. I reread my first "post" and suddenly realized (an epiphany??) I had missed so much of the really IMPORTANT aspects of this campout! Duh!

I "started" here as a member of CPF some years ago, interested in "flashlights". So much time has passed since then. The impetus for this past weekend was still flashlights but, I just noticed I didn't use the word once in my post since getting back. I'd dare say if you weren't there you'd not know what the trip was all about! Well, there actually WERE some "flashlights" believe it or not! Aginthelaw had a table out and produced boxes of "goodies" INcluding (!) some flashlights! Some folks actually traded and bought flashlights! Stan....? Sledhead and I thought we'd have a "shootout" with some of the big "guns" we'd recently blown our retirement acquiring and, while we did warm up some bark on neighboring trees, no "shootout"!

Seems that, as in many of these get-togethers, what brings us all together is the friendships and the fun...FUN???? What fun?? If you were there, you know and if you weren't and can envision the personalities you know. The "fire" that created our common interest in our favorite "toys" still is there but, the old and new friendships and the food and the Blue Tarp City construction project and yes, even the rain (!) contributed (and, EVERYBODY contributed to the fun!) in the weekend being a hit. Turned out the fire, with the TranquilityBase smokestacks was, by far, the largest illumination source but, it sure did add greatly to the real and figurative warmth in the group. While the Morton Salt Girl emblem was the more appropriate logo for any caps we might have worn, it STILL was a "flashlight" convention, albeit on a smaller scale.

The bottom line is that when folks who haven't seen you in a looooong time greet you with a smile, a handshake, a hug and show they really did miss ya, it's the making of a good time, rain, smoke and yes, even with a dearth of Hollywood lighting effects! Thanks everybody for a weekend that will be long remembered for one where Noah's Ark was more appropriate than a tent!

Karl

Well stated Karl :) Even though my time there was cut short, and it rained 80% of the time I was there, I had a great time! And I owe that to the fine folks that were there.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep the weather was a bummer, and I cut my stay short because of it. However, I had a great time while I was there, and I owe that to the great folks who came and made the best out of it.

Great to see everyone again, and to make new friends! Food was awesome - special thanks to all those who contributed to some excellent comfort food!

Kudos to everyone who stuck out the weather, and to those who drove in just for the day, despite the weather. Special heads up to Scott & Kathy for coming out all the way from Wisconsin, you guys rock!

Great to see some of the cool Kickstarter project lights Stan had, and special thanks to Dave and Rodger for some great deals on some new lights and knives. Dizzy - I'm so glad you kept that tarp for all those years, thank you!

Thank you all for making the best out of a rather wet event. Maybe we should call ourselves the Soggy Bottom Campers! LOL

--Tim

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
The final four! Monday: Tranquility base and Wife Kathy?-- Bimmer Boy, and Lighthouse One. We got rained on so much I almost didn't worry about it anymore.

It was actually fun! The tent was so smoky, I though I was in basic training again, when they put us in a small room and dropped in tear gas!! Don't give up Tim! Maybe just let each one rent a spot....I'm in!

Stan I have an extra Streamlight Lantern that we think is yours or a friend? Will bring it to Data's October 6th.

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Karl

Bravo.....well said.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Ray....here are some pics! ( I Hope ) :D

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Karl had some wonderful post's but I believe he did not mention the wonderful pulled pork he made for everyone. A ton of work for sure and he even brought fresh rolls. Hit the spot on a cold, rainy, chilly day. Check out the Bue Tarp Eatery.

Dizzy thought a "Light" may help Scott with the chimney.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
And, true to form, Stan brought some things no one saw coming!:D He always has the coolest stuff! Hopefully Stan will chime in ... I can't remember the names.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 183

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the " Show Stopper " was Karl's MegaRay!:eek: It was a stunner...literally. Hopefully I can figure out how to attach a video. Here are a couple pics though.

Everyone needs one of these! :devil: Check out the strap on battery pack...hey now!!!!

IMG_0066.jpgIMG_0029.jpg

scout24

Flashaholic
You weren't kidding about that tarp!!! Damn!!! Looks like you guys had a good time despite the weather. Karl- You're not helping my craving for something with a bit more Oomph than my XeRay 35/50! :eek:

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank goodness for the work of the assigned Master Camp Photographer in this latest venture, none other than sledhead, the Ansel Adams of Hickory Run, recording priceless moments of some of the shining stars membership of CPF!! Thank you Ansel....errrr, Sandy!

Karl

Last edited: