GITD O-Rings

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
I simply don't have the money for machining trit slots into my Fenix PD32, not to mention buying some vials. As an alternative, I'm looking into GITD o-rings. I have not yet found a thread about this, but I'm sure someone has asked about it at some point.

Where do you guys get them? What brands? There don't seem to be very many options on Amazon, so I am expanding my horizons.

Anyway, more questions. This applies to o-rings in general, but how much slop/wiggle room should there be? Using calipers, I've determined I'm looking for an o-ring with an internal diameter of 23.3mm, and ~1.33mm thick. Would a 24mm o-ring work for that application?

Thank you!

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
@8steve88: Thank you! How undersized would you say is enough? Do you have any idea if 20mm o-ring fit the 23mm groove without breaking?
You don't lubricate GITD o-rings when their purpose isn't a functional one, do you? On one hand, I don't want them to dry out, and maybe snap. On the other, I don't want lubricated hands whenever I use my light for a moment.

@Norm: Also thank you for straightening me out! I use Tapatalk. I knew this board was here, except it doesn't appear for me.

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
Now that's downright cool. I might be making some of these soon if I can't find a suitable o-ring on the internet. Thanks for the great link.

If I muster the courage, I might put one by the reflector and lens. That would be very handy, especially because it would charge whenever I use the light.

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
Some more GITD O Rings
https://www.lighthound.com/GITD_c_70.html

No, I don't lubricate the rings on the outside. A mm or2 is all it needs to stay in place.
They're usually not as long glowing as paint, even better is GITD powder mixed into Epoxy glue, I use the Devcon "2 Ton Epoxy", the 30 minute setting time so you have room to work. A fairly permanent solution but the result is better.

Last edited:

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I'll look into it, all solutions are welcome when you have only a dim idea of what to do. How much GITD powder is enough?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! I'll look into it, all solutions are welcome when you have only a dim idea of what to do. How much GITD powder is enough?

I bought 2 oz. of GlowInc ultra blue, I've done a ton of little projects and haven't even opened the 2nd oz. yet. I'd start with 1oz. and do some testing. Blue ultra glows quite nice and long but the v10 green is the uber bright one, however it is a gritty powder and does not stand abrasion well, nor is it water tolerant.
Allowing the epoxy to settle works well to keep the grittiness to a minimum.
Make sure you use a clear epoxy, the slightly yellow ones will effect performance. Also, using a longer curing epoxy will allow the powder to settle on the bottom of thicker applications.