Got My Vinhnguyen54 Modded 6.5 Amp TN31 Dedomed XM-L2 Copper Heatsink Flashlight 510K

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
ILF,

You mentioned "neighbors pool wall"...Ummm are they pissed with all these lights shinning at them?!?! Mines are hella sensitive to my bright flashlights.

Rikr

Newly Enlightened
Last nite I compared the vinhnguyen54 dedomed XM-L2 TN31 to my big Power On Board 35 watt HID. Saablster has said that his POB spotlight was 531K lux on his meter. Well I'll let you see the photos on my neighbors pool wall. The TN31 was the clear winner. No other flashlight or HID I have will touch the POB 35 watt HID in throw. But this vinhnguyen54 TN31 does and then some. Camera settings were manual exposure 1.2 sec shutter f/4 and ISO 400 with white balance set to fine or the image of the sun.

POB 35 watt HID 110yds

DSCF5312_zpse40c73f7.jpg

vinhnguyen54 dedomed XM-L2 TN31 6.5 amps 110yds

DSCF5317_zps71155ab9.jpg

WoW!!! That is amazing!! Great photo's... thanks for sharing. You should also do a mouse over..

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Vinh and Mike are both standup guys.

Vihn's light I would expect to out throw mikes light for a while at least.

Vinh is gunning for balls to the wall max output...heat be damned, etc. IE: Vinh is making a specialized monster that gives its all...at the expense of heat and run time.

I have a LOT of vinh's lights...and when I want to slam the photons its my weapon of choice.

Vinh doesn't just up the amps and dedome...he's binding to giant cu sinks, adding solder to max out ground paths, etc, reinforcing switches and connections, etc...to make the lights do as much as possible.

Mikes Tn31mb is similar except that he makes the tint warmer which costs lumens/lux...and he limits the drive to amps that can run about at more stockish runtimes and heat generation.

So, they are making lights that are superficially similar....but functionally different.

We simply choose the version that makes sense to us.....which of course for many of us means getting both.

:D

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
All I know is both are a heck of a lot smarter when it comes to flashlights than I am.

I'm glad they do what they do.

hahoo

Enlightened
i have one with the older xml tn31's from about a year ago...
what would i need to do to have you mod it ?

what would the cost be ?

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Just send it to Vinh. He'll swap in a XML2. Maybe put in new springs. He'll put more solder on all contacts including the battery carrier. The mod should around ~$70 I believe. And you're not going to believe it's the same light after the mod. I'm sure if you email Vinh, he'll give you a price. IMHO, this shouldn't even be a decision lol. It should be a priority to have your stock TN31 modded. :)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I read he loves to monkey with copper heat sinks too. From my understanding it is excellent at transferring heat to the body and allows for the emitter to be driven harder, depending on the mod and how far the owner wants to go with our...insanity.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
rdfronty also just posted this.

Oh I forgot. I tested lumens on the lower settings too. Here is all the settings -

Level 1 – .4
Level 2 – 18
Level 3 – 471
Level 4 – 1050
Level 5 – 1740

Pretty usuable spread of levels still.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Sorry I missed a level on my testing. There are actually 3 levels on this sucker over 1000 lumens -
Level 1 – .4
Level 2 – 18
Level 3 – 471
Level 4 – 1050
Level 5 – 1515
Level 6 – 1740

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Thanks buddy. I'm glad your as tickled as I am about this light. Tell the folks what you thought when you first powered it on.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for sharing. It certainly looks like a nice power house. I bet you never thought something this small would beat your incan thrower.

I must stop buying throwers.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Hey thanks. Yes the vinhnguen54 TN31 has surprised me. I figured it was going to be a great thrower. But It's even better than what I had hoped for. Simply amazing what it can do.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey thanks. Yes the vinhnguen54 TN31 has surprised me. I figured it was going to be a great thrower. But It's even better than what I had hoped for. Simply amazing what it can do.

Oh no I didn't want to hear that :thumbsup:

I am seriously considering buying one.

MattSPL

Enlightened
This light looks really impressive.

I remember initial XM-L2 testing by Vinh, the XM-L2 wouldn't pull as much current from a cell as the XM-L, even when direct drive. This has obviously been overcome with this light running 6.5Amps?