Great idea/design - the SuperKnife

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said: Plus $5.99 shipping... Now how did you resist doubling up to average down the shipping cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's the catch..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
It doesn't hurt as much if one had other things to order - or really wanted more than one....

Still at $6.99 and even +$5.99 shipping - it's $12.98 total - still cheap compared to the original price of the SuperKnife, and the price of any of the current versions of the SuperKnife shipped.

I ordered some other Schrade knives that I wanted -
since Schrade are no more, and once they're gone......

If you're interested - I did a sort of review (over on another forum)

SLW2_SQ447_4.jpg

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey Wingerr,

You know where I live...the rubberized SK is calling you...

My wife is using it all the time to open and break down boxes these days. The locks seem quite secure. In addition the rubberized version is really lite compared to the metal handles, making it even easier to lug around an SK.

daloosh

btw, since the contractor is installing the stove (building shelf and all) I asked him to put in the dishwasher, too. got too many other things to worry about.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
daloosh said:My wife is using it all the time to open and break down boxes these days. The locks seem quite secure. In addition the rubberized version is really lite compared to the metal handles, making it even easier to lug around an SK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks for the update - the new no tool blade change versions sound good.

Is there any play in the blade in its holder?
Is it dependent on the thickness/thinness of the blades used?

According to the SuperKnife website - the latest newest SuperKnife come in the new no tool blade change - and the ONLY rubberized handle SuperKnife seems to be called the "Stealth".
http://superknife.com/
QUOTE:
Philip Head screw for blade changing. New Stealth requires NO TOOL for blade changing.
UNQUOTE

- since you have more than one - is "Stealth" a model designation/name, or a handle "color"?
- any chance of seeing a picture of one? - (the photo shown previously and on the SuperKnife web site - only shows the Phillips screw blade change versions in the different colors).

Thanks,

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pure speculation on my part, but it looks like Stealth is used both for an all black color permutation of the SK Edge, and also for the Rubberized SuperKnife, probably black, with the added differentiation of the quick release setup.
I'm sure if you wait a week, the version you'd be interested in will come out, since they seem to have a very fluid product line. Switch gears, change direction in midstream kind of production line. The website seems to lag in the descriptions of the items they actually make-

Since the one Daloosh got is rubberized, with the quick release blade retainer, and isn't black, they've already got all sorts of hybrid models not listed on the site. Could be it was only a test run that was offered at the SHOT show, but I don't see why they'd limit the selection.

Daloosh, good to hear the installs were all EZ no fuss- just takes an hearty application of pocket change.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How much lighter is the rubberized one vs. the standard?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Will weigh later, IF I can figure out which box has the darn scale in it. Moving is a pain.

daloosh

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Superknife is a great idea. I bought a few of the aluminum handled versions for Xmas presents. One from Home Depot (I think it was branded with their "Husky" tool logo) and one from WalMart (Sheffield). Very handy.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sween1911 said:
Superknife is a great idea. I bought a few of the aluminum handled versions for Xmas presents. One from Home Depot (I think it was branded with their "Husky" tool logo) and one from WalMart (Sheffield). Very handy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both the Home Depot Husky and the Wal-Mart Sheffield are the lockback utility knives posted in earlier in this thread, as opposed to the liner-lock of the actual SuperKnife.

They seem to be the same as the Craftsman version I bought - see this comparison post - in this thread.

I found the Craftsman really hard to open with the thumb-stud ( as Wingerr also said in this thread:
QUOTE:
I just removed the thumbstud entirely, since trying to use it was just an exercise in futility, as you found out.
UNQUOTE )

and it had play in the blades in its blade holder (would be problematic if thinner blades were used)

Skyline

Enlightened
Woops, hadn't noticed this thread and started another one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif (Thanks Sigman!)

In any case, I'll repost the Dexter Ewing review link from the other thread because it's really good:

http://www.bladesbybrown.com/dec_review.htm

Also, here's a pic of the Camillus Crossfire. Reasons I chose it instead of the Superknife: lighter weight, includes storage of six spare blades, and has an Axis-Lock-like mechanism. Although plenty of liner locks are sturdy, I just don't trust them as much anymore.

crossfire.jpg

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks pretty nice-
Any info on the dimensions of the Camillus?
Is that lanyard protuberance on the rear removable, by any chance?
That thumbscrew is way out towards the blade, I wonder if that might be a problem when cutting into deep materials. Does it stick out as much as it seems in the picture?

edit: found it-
CrossFire

CAM-3215
Length, Open: 6.125"
Length, Closed: 4.5"
Blade Length: 1"
Blade Material:
Handle Material:Zytel
Locking Method: Bolt Lock
Opening Method: Thumbstuds
Clip: Yes
Weight: 2.1 oz

Skyline

Enlightened
It's not a lanyard point. It's a hinged door that is released by thumbscrew and allows access to the inside of the handle where six blades can be stored. Yes, the thumbstuds do stick out quite a bit in order to facilitate one-handed opening. I can see your point about them possibly getting in the way. Then again, with only one inch of exposed blade, maybe you shouldn't be in so deep anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We'll see how I like it when it arrives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, okay- thought it was a lanyard attachment point at the back there. Definitely nice having handle storage for the blades; lacking in the SuperKnife.
Sometimes cutting foam blocks needs some deep diggin'.
It looks like those studs are about flush with the handle anyway, so it shouldn't be too much a problem.
Wouldn't mind if it were a bit shorter though; 4.5" vs about 3-3/4"

Skyline

Enlightened
Got my Camillus Crossfire today. It turns out the hinge for the blade storage CAN be used for a lanyard too! There's a hole right through it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's a tad bigger than I expected, but feels very comfortable in my hand. It's super lightweight -- feels like nothing. The handle is deceivingly solid though, as I can't twist or flex it at all. The blade holder is also plastic, so it might not be quite as solid as the super knife's blade holder, but I don't see it becoming any kind of issue. After all, the blades themselves are quite thin and flexible.

It's not as smooth opening as a Benchmade, but the lock mechanism does work similarly to the Axis Lock. Definitely a nice addition to the cutting toolset, especially for $10! I plan to keep it in a drawer for box cutting duties, and will continue to carry my BM 705BT as EDC. Still, now I don't have to blunt any edges on cardboard unnecessarily.

Overall, I like it a lot and recommend it!