Green Laser Pointer, Modified (With Pics)

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Green Laser Pointers, Modified

I'm reading .29amps with my fluke off my new greenie, Can't tell you what mw though. it is high spec... Does that mean mine is just cranked up already?

Armour

Newly Enlightened
More output from your Leadlight

Hi all,

Hope it's ok to repost this topic from the laser forum.... for those who may not have seen it there.

A few words on getting the most out of your Leadlight.

I believe that I have determined why some Leadlight pointers are 5mw, 10mw or 15mw optical output (with no change to the current draw)

The difference appears to be polarisation differences in the diode orientation. These laser diodes have a polarised output, and frequency doubler crysal has a polarised input. Changing the rotational position of one or the other will dim or brighten the beam without increasing the laser diode current.

So, how do you make your Leadlight brighter?

The diode is held in place on the body by a screw ring. Looking at the assembly from underneath (where the diode is attached to the case body) you see that the brass ring holding it in place has two holes drilled into it. These would be for some sort of tool which grasps these in order to tighten or loosen the ring which in turn keeps the diode in place inside the housing. (I unscrewed it all the way to find some lithium grease to act as heat transfer). Loosening the ring with a jewellers screwdriver by pushing on one of the holes, allows the whole assembly, circuit board and all to rotate.

LOOSEN THE BRASS RING BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO TURN THE ASSEMBLY OR YOU WILL SNAP THE CIRCUIT BOARD RIGHT OFF!

Once the ring is loose the board (and the attached diode), turns easily. I hooked up a couple of alligator clips so that I could power the thing while out of its case to find just the right spot. Find the sweet spot by turning it this way or that and that's it!

If you wish you can tweak the pot on board. It will supply no more than around 320ma to the diode. No fear of burning it up as it's limited by the on-board electronics.

I also transplanted the whole assembly into a small 2AA flashlight (GP Discovery)

Is it BRIGHT!! A solid green beam of light visible at night as far as the eye can see. Much brighter than when I received it as a 10mw unit.

Note that you will be opening up yourself to exposure to laser radiation at 532nm, 808nm, and 1064nm. Always protect your eyes when performing a modification like this. Also, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS. This post is for information purposes only.

Good luck!

John

Newly Enlightened
So let me get this straight all you do is pop the cap off the leadlight 5mw turn the little screw clockwise and the power increases?

John

Newly Enlightened
Also can anyone confirm that this is a leadlight pointer and not a chanchun pointer?

disys

Newly Enlightened
Re: More output from your Leadlight

True, the Leadlight does have such a screw under the button.
On my unit it will only crank to 320mw current draw... Unless, of course, there have been changes in the circuitry. To get it to the brightness you describe, I had to turn the diode as well... Well done though! beats the extra $100!!

Naquadah

Newly Enlightened

Many modifications will get into a warm laser in less time, but if you dont have it much time on (30 seconds or so) and then let it cool, it wont burn up.
Mine is 5 mW, and it takes up to 4 minutes to get warm

Digital_Systems

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

I've been looking throught this forum & thought I'd register and put my 2cents worth in.

I don't want to sound harsh or anything but come on guys! Lets get some technical content in here!

Kudos to Luminocity, Nitro and Disys2 for putting in something useful!

Anybody else actually know something worth posting here?

diode brands & powers used,
circuit schematics,
mods with circuit changes,
improved optics for more range,
how to improve the beam quality,
how to modulate pointers for long distance communication,
how to make simple x-y scanners,
TE cooling
re-housing,
etc, etc.?

I like to read these forums to learn something I don't know - The name of this forum implies it's supposed to be about modifications. You can bet your bippy that left unmodified, 90% of these will be lost at the bottom of a junk drawer someplace when the novelty runs out! What's there to talk about when your 10mw pointer is just like everybody elses?

Cheers

Ezra4no1

Newly Enlightened

Gee.....

Maybe I'm in the minority here for thinking this.....
but not everyone has a PHD degree in quantum physics. Personally I've found these post very interesting and informative. I guess for the rest of us not so bright folks, "them there Laser pointers are just up our alley..." That is until they can make a Co2 pen sized Laser pointer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenlasersrule

Newly Enlightened

im responce to Digital_Systems pointless post:

i dont see how you can complain about our knowledge of lasers be it just mechanical mods or electrical mods when you obviously dont know anything at all yourself. maybe Luminocity, Nitro and Disys2 are the only ones who know the sort of information you want and the rest of us are just like you and here to find out more detailed information which we dont know, but you dont see us making stupid pointless posts like yours to complain.

"thats my 2 cents" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

greenlasersrule

Newly Enlightened

would simply modifying the polarization of the laser actually make the diode hotter? i dont see how it would if the laser itself is not being given more current.

If, for example you had a 5mw laser and changed the polarization which in turn made it a 20mw laser with the same power draw, wouldnt you still be able to leave it on for the 3-4 mins before it gets warm, and not the 15-30 seconds which the high-spec lasers are rated for?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Modifying the polarization will not effect the runtime or duty cycle requirements. It's like the best of both worlds.

Ezra4no1

Newly Enlightened
Which is the best laser pointer to Modify?

I don't believe I seen the answer to my question in the thread, but I was wondering which is the best laser pointer to buy for the purpose of modifing it?

The Modify that I was hoping to do was the one spoken about by Nitro on page 1 of this Thread. I'm not electronics guy and am hoping the directions he provided would be easy enough for a person like me to follow and do the mod.

That being said, Nitro said he believed the pointer he was using was a Leadlight. Is that correct? I went on Ebay and found a seller who sells a Changchun GREEN DPSS laser pointer and he claims in his posts that these are the same pointers that people have used to modify them to get more power out of them. The Seller's name is atlasnova and all he seems to sell are these laser pointers.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=atlasnova&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

So I am trying to find out which of the two are better.

Also.. does anyone know which laser this person is using to get up to 125mw from his pointer??
http://www.genlight.com/laser/

And last....
Anyone know if the following laser pointer can be modded (as this is what I already own)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14954&item=3095526303&rd=1
From the instructions I have it says it is an LSDT09-13
Though I have done searches on google and found nothing with that name.

Thanks

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which is the best laser pointer to Modify?

the old leadlight is the best, the changchung is shitty but easy to take apart,the new leadlight we do not know how to modify.

You MUST take the proper percautions when pulling apart a laser pointer, there is invisable light that will fry your eyes if you turn it on outside of the case.

Ezra4no1

Newly Enlightened
Re: Which is the best laser pointer to Modify?

Another dumb questions if I may... How can I tell between the old and the newer leadlight, or better yet are there any places still selling theold lasers?

greenlasersrule

Newly Enlightened

why does this thread get moved, its so dumb, i mean it was on a thread for lasers and it gets moved to a modified lights forum. I wish they would just make a lasers only forum so everything is in one place, i keep getting lost when threads get moved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

greenlasersrule

Newly Enlightened

i think the newest leadlights have a red or green led on them to show that it is powered up or something, not 100% sure. Dont really see the point of a power light when you have a green dot brighter than the sun shining out the end of the laser pointer lol

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
greenlasersrule said:
i think the newest leadlights have a red or green led on them to show that it is powered up or something, not 100% sure. Dont really see the point of a power light when you have a green dot brighter than the sun shining out the end of the laser pointer lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe in the U.S. there's an FDA rule that says that a laser has to have a pilot light to tell the user that it's running. I suspect that this was borne from the infrared lasers, where you might not know if it's on. It does seem silly to have an indicator light for a visible laser, but I'm betting that this rule came about because of an accident somewhere. Seemingly strange rules usually come into existence this way.

For instance, in a certain part of the country, it is illegal to offer a cigarette to a squirrel. Ya gotta know that this happened after some dimwit tried it.

Latest posts