Groundbreaking New Thrower!!The new DEFT-edc LR

daz

Newly Enlightened
Just got my DEFT EDC LR..Awesome light.The hotspot from a distance seems at least 50% brighter than my DEFT EDC and that is some achievment..I don`t know how you do it, but keep up the good work...

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. The lights I put up sold out faster than I expected. Will probably be releasing another batch of LRs on Monday along with a couple more regular edcs. Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep it coming!

SaliesDB

Newly Enlightened
Have discovered a very good use for aspherics - lighting up channel markers while boating. Aspherics are ideal for this - great throw and minimum spill retains your night vision.

And that is exactly what I bought my original DEFT for. It is brilliant for that purpose and is a superb light to have onboard a small craft. Now I just have to figure out if I can swing an ELR too. :eek:

By the way, I 'd like to thank Michael for taking the time to repair my DEFT over the past month, at no charge. He must have been a busy man but still took the time out to fit a new piece and ship it back to me. Thanks Michael !

PS: do not shine light into the face of a F&W officer as they come alongside (as my 5 year old did one evening). They were highly not amused. Strangely they did not ask what light it was though. I think maybe I heard retinas searing, that might have been the problem...

Last edited:

nc_hooper

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning to give my Deft EDC LR to my brother as a Christmas/birthday present. He does a lot of boating, and having something small for his smaller boat will be very useful.

mikesantor

Enlightened
Are there any plans for letting customers send in their own hosts and getting the LR engine put in them? I am in the process of switching ALL my users lights over to the same host. I would love for one of them to be on the LR platform. Let me know and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking to buy the EDC LR - your shop shows sold out... When will they be available again ?
I am waiting on a shipment of more lenses. I still have some but they are lower quality and the LR requires the best to meet spec. I might have enough for one or two and will try and get those up in the next few days. Otherwise I do expect the new shipment soon so keep checking back.

Are there any plans for letting customers send in their own hosts and getting the LR engine put in them? I am in the process of switching ALL my users lights over to the same host. I would love for one of them to be on the LR platform. Let me know and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Yes there are. I will of course need to wait for more lenses before I put that option up however. Once that option goes live I will send out a notification to those on my list.

rkJr

Enlightened
saabluster,

does it make any difference which 18650 battery is used or safe in the edc or edc-lr?

there are 18650's in 2200mAH, 2900mAh & 3100mAh versions available. Any restrictions need to be followed for these?

Thanks,

Paul

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
saabluster,

does it make any difference which 18650 battery is used or safe in the edc or edc-lr?

there are 18650's in 2200mAH, 2900mAh & 3100mAh versions available. Any restrictions need to be followed for these?

Thanks,

Paul

Any of those would work just fine. I prefer the Callie's Kustoms 3100mAh though.

rawdawg

Newly Enlightened
I got my mine a few weeks ago and I can not put in words how great the light is. Just awesome!

3Cylinders

Newly Enlightened
Michael,
Could this also be built into a right-angle light like the Streamlight Survivor or Pelican Little Ed? This would make a great firefighter's light. Warm tint, little to no spill, tightly focused beam. Thanks.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Michael,
Could this also be built into a right-angle light like the Streamlight Survivor or Pelican Little Ed? This would make a great firefighter's light. Warm tint, little to no spill, tightly focused beam. Thanks.

A fireman asked me if the lithium ion batteries would get too hot in a firefighting scenario, mentioning that some gear carried gets as hot as ~350º F.

I didn't know what that would do to an exposed battery, but I do know that primary lithium ion batteries are used currently in that application. I also don't know the survivability of the electronics, LED, etc. Does anyone know if that would impact use of the DEFT edc LR, or any other rechargeable equivalent, in a fire fighting context?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDs are not ideal for firefighting applications IMO because if how important it is to cool the LED. If the shell is hot the LED is hot and that is bad for an LED. An incandescent however can handle the heat just fine. At a minimum the current to the LED would have to drastically be scaled back. Not impossible to make it work just not ideal.

3Cylinders

Newly Enlightened
At least in my usage, I'm not worried about the environment getting too hot for the batteries, but I do see the problem with cooling the LED. With a plastic shell, it would have to be driven at a reduced power in order to keep it cool. I still don't think it would be much of an issue, though as it would likely still greatly outperform current offerings. The current rechargeable Streamlight Survivor LED has 147 lumens and uses a reflector. It throws a beam very similar to a Fenix TK20. Something better would be great. That may be a future market for you if you're interested. Thank you for the response.