GUS Original - Stainless Steel AAA Battery Holder (Photo)

wolfgaze

Enlightened
This is a well designed/manufactured pill fob and AAA battery holder that I just picked up - nice quality (Made in USA). It can be purchased for approx. $25...

I just wanted to share this here for others with AAA keychain lights and who perhaps are looking for a good option for carrying a spare battery...

XhWyxNZ.jpg

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Those are nice, have a couple myself. For those who like copper or brass, I just got this one off eBay. They look like copper but are brass. Notice how deep the threads are. The battery is an Eneloop Pro XX AAA:

I bought both of these on spec on eBay, but only the one on the left was big enough for an AAA battery. But I'm sure I'll find another use for the smaller capsule. Shown next to a Duracell AA battery which is about the same width.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Ehhh.

$25 for a battery tube?

And I thought the delrin tubes from county.com were expensive!

Chris

Well, these capsules are made of a quality medical-grade stainless steel that has a really good look and feel to it. As a matter of personal preference, I'd rather spend the extra $15 on a quality product that will last a really long time than to spend $10 on a inferior product and material... It's a one time purchase for me... When I purchase the Delrin capsules for a AA and 16340 battery, I'm okay with spending less money on the larger capsules that will simply be carried in my pocket and not go on my keyring... To each their own...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Yeah it is functionally too expensive I think most folks can just buy a AAA LED light and use it to "keep" a spare battery in. I've been carrying 2 spares in a UK 2AAA LED light and find it was the best solution as I bought it and used it till I got my LD01SS. The UK light is plastic and water proof and doesn't weigh much at all itself in fact I think with 2 lithium AAAs the light weighs less than my LD01SS with a nimh AAA but I'm not totally sure. If the tube was $15 you could buy a fenix E01 and use that for a battery cell keeper and there is a cheaper keeper in the old Mag solitaire light just remove the bulb so it cannot be turned on at all.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah it is functionally too expensive I think most folks can just buy a AAA LED light and use it to "keep" a spare battery in. I've been carrying 2 spares in a UK 2AAA LED light and find it was the best solution as I bought it and used it till I got my LD01SS. The UK light is plastic and water proof and doesn't weigh much at all itself in fact I think with 2 lithium AAAs the light weighs less than my LD01SS with a nimh AAA but I'm not totally sure. If the tube was $15 you could buy a fenix E01 and use that for a battery cell keeper and there is a cheaper keeper in the old Mag solitaire light just remove the bulb so it cannot be turned on at all.

Olight i3S for $20 shipped. It's a nice battery tube that doubles as a flashlight. Strange.

It's a container people. If you want it because it looks cool and compliments your fashion sense, or because it's well machined, that's fine, but medical grade SS probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, IMO.

Chris

wolfgaze

Enlightened

Carrying two AAA keychain lights on my set of keys just doesn't appeal to me personally...

Olight i3S for $20 shipped. It's a nice battery tube that doubles as a flashlight. Strange.

What is strange about that Chris? Maybe I find it strange that you seem somewhat bothered or annoyed at the thought of someone spending $25 on a storage capsule/container. Does it bother you that there are members hear spending $400-$600+ on custom/ornate flashlights that one could likely obtain the same performance from in a light that is maybe half the cost?

ChrisGarrett said:
It's a container people. If you want it because it looks cool and compliments your fashion sense, or because it's well machined, that's fine, but medical grade SS probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, IMO.

That's exactly the point. It's appealing (to some) because it's sleek looking, well-made, and very durable (long-lasting). The difference between $10 and $25 to me is rather negligible, especially if you plan on keeping and utilizing an item for a long period of time (many years)... No one else is going to observe this item on my keychain so it's strictly for my own enjoyment.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is strange about that Chris? Maybe I find it strange that you seem somewhat bothered or annoyed at the thought of someone spending $25 on a storage capsule/container. Does it bother you that there are members hear spending $400-$600+ on custom/ornate flashlights that one could likely obtain the same performance from in a light that is maybe half the cost?

That's exactly the point. It's appealing (to some) because it's sleek looking, well-made, and very durable (long-lasting). The difference between $10 and $25 to me is rather negligible, especially if you plan on keeping and utilizing an item for a long period of time (many years)... No one else is going to observe this item on my keychain so it's strictly for my own enjoyment.

Hey, it's your money and I'm hardly bothered by your seemingly frivolous pill fob.

Just commenting on how expensive it is and comparing it to what else is out there.

Enjoy it.

Chris

1DaveN

Enlightened
I use a GUS pill fob for pills. It's one of the best-made products I own, and I'm more than happy to have spent $25 on it. I'm not sure I'd spend that much to carry a spare battery around (I haven't so far, anyway), but I don't think anyone who's comfortable with the cost will be disappointed with the quality. Even the key ring that came with it is noticeably better than the one it replaced.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Carrying two AAA keychain lights on my set of keys just doesn't appeal to me personally...
I don't carry it on my keys, it is in my other pants pocket along with 2 pocket knives and a metal case with spare reading glasses. All that stuff bouncing around in my pocket I'm glad the light is plastic. With my LD01SS and about 7 keys my keychain is already getting a little heavy and they say too much weight on a keychain can damage some ignition switches.