Handheld 500W LED Power .... finally finished (Beamshots added)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
ouch, man! sorry for the loss :(

and you took cares to balance that thing properly with circuitry, too :(

Tidra

Enlightened
That is really sad story,...

I think that should be a lesson to all of us, that this things are not a joke,...
The real question is "Could this tragedy be avoid?"

ADMIN: if this is not against the rule

I am willing to contribute 5€ if you decide to do a rebuild and include some protection to avoid that in the future,...

LP
Iztok

Holzleim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the warm words.
I think the only way to avoid such disaster is to use other battery technology.
I think I can say that I did much to prevent call damage or stress:
During loading I charged both series connected cell groups independently with continuous balancing. Furthermore I limited charging end voltage to 4,1V per cell for increased cell lifetime.
During discharge I permanently monitored both cell groups for voltages lower than 3V and for too much in-balance.
I had five temperature sensors that monitored temperatures a different location within the lamp with the software reducing current when temperatures rising above 50°C.
And finally the cells where well protected against mechanical damages.

I think I will go for Li-Phosphat or Li-Titanat for my next high power build.
The only way to be sure to save money, the effort and certainly humans, pets and house.

Only thing I could think of what could be added for further electrical security would be an independent cell monitoring circuitry that is able to disconnect charging circuitry for the case that is faulty in that way that it overcharges a cell.

I'm glad that my wife was in house when the cell started blowing and reacted quick and right with putting the lamp on the balcony.
Some luck that the self destruct took some seconds with a beam of smoke coming out of the charging jacket along with a medium load fizzling at the beginning and ending with a smoke grenade blast in the end on the balcony.

But at the moment we are in the middle of building our house and so it will take some months until I will have free time for building a dignified successor (certainly in four-digit power rang then :devil:)

CampingLED

Enlightened
This is truly not nice to see such a nice light destroyed. Best way is to look forward and do it even better. From what I have read batteries tend to explode during charging and not during discharging or usage (they may leak though).

You may considder to charge the batteries external to the light in future. That makes me think about all the lights being sold with batteries installed in the light and sold with a charger that couples to the light.

Red-Fathom

Newly Enlightened
you have a schematic for those power controllers for the led's? what sort of chip is that? i have a 6aa energizer cut for 4 17670 lithiums i plan to convert for LED.

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Its such a shame that light ended up like that it made me sad to see. Glad no one was hurt also.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
such a shame that a violent work of art should come to such a bad end... and due to a faulty batt.... sad sad day for the flashaholics... BUT with each step back we take a giant leap forward, so.... into such a Dark Land... lets bring some light, shall we? BRING ON THE +1000w LEDs!

good luck my comrade, in your next venture! and may it be as/more impressive than the lights of yesteryear! and needless to say, KUDOWS on your prior design.... can't wait to see the next!