Has anyone ever used strobe mode?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a small moth that gets in the house from time to time. I strobe them and they land every time. WHACK! No more moth!

Found it! I knew I read this somewhere.. Thank you, thank you.

Tonight, one of those giant flies made it into my home - you know, the really fast loud-*** cruise missile types that buzz an entire room back and forth and you can barely keep your eye on them for more than a second. Anyways, tried the strobe on him in a brightly lit room and didn't notice any effect, but then flicked all the lights off, tracked him by sound, and then nailed him with my 1,000 lumen thrower's strobe and down he went... Shoot'n fish in a barrel!

Don't know if it was a one-off coincidence, but I will certainly be experimenting further (keeping fingers crossed).

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Last night however though I didn't appreciate it someone else did. There was a motorcycle accident right in front of me in Kuala Lumpur and I slammed on the brakes, pulled over and got out to help. Rider had a busted femur coming thru his skin and pant leg. I had my unreliable eagletac G25C2 with me (I presently EDC "unreliable lights" because every single light I own but my varapower is unreliable and it's a bit big to EDC). I was with the victim and tossed my light to another guy to warn traffic. It was set to come on on low and I was about to explain how to switch to high by twisting the head when it automatically switched to strobe. I'm convinced high with a shaking wrist is just as good at night but the guy with my light certainly thought the strobe was AWESOME!! I was pretty bloody and busy but he was having a hoot shinning it in everyone's eyes - mine and the eventual paramedics included!
I experienced that same malfunction with my G25C2-mkII when I first cleaned and lubed it. I wasn't sure how the spring pins in the head worked to change the modes as the head is tightened and loosened and used some Deoxit Gold on those pins and that's when the problems began. With the light in Tactical setting (High, Low, Strobe 1, Strobe 2), it would trigger the strobe at any setting other than High (head tightened). I could still get High mode, but loosening the head for Low mode immediately resulted in strobe.

I'd read in some reviews that not keeping the threads clean could occasionally result in the light not being able to get to the High mode with the head tightened, but I never had a problem with that. It would just trigger the strobe in any position other than head tightened. I ended up cleaning the head again and using some alcohol on the spring pins in the head and cycling them over and over again (pushing them in and out) and the problem disappeared and hasn't returned since.

Max

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I read that also and tried cleaning them with WD40... probably not the best idea and then I sprayed some contact cleaner on the threads. It seemed to make it better for a bit but not much.

Mine is such now (even more so my D series clicky) that it turns off and on, goes in and out of strobe by light taps on the head. The clicky doesn't work 90% of the time on the D series... have to tap it and it will probably come on in strobe. Random taps often get it out of strobe. I'd throw it away but other lights all suck too!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight, one of those giant flies made it into my home - you know, the really fast loud-*** cruise missile types that buzz an entire room back and forth and you can barely keep your eye on them for more than a second. Anyways, tried the strobe on him in a brightly lit room and didn't notice any effect, but then flicked all the lights off, tracked him by sound, and then nailed him with my 1,000 lumen thrower's strobe and down he went... Shoot'n fish in a barrel!
Don't know if it was a one-off coincidence, but I will certainly be experimenting further (keeping fingers crossed).
WOW WTG! looks like you have a real "light sabre"!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW WTG! looks like you have a real "light sabre"!

LOL.. I don't mean to say the light killed him, but it sure seemed to mess with his navigation system forcing him to land - where, of course, he was easy pickn's. Still need further testing to confirm (and really want try on the skeeters) but I think I may have finally found SOME practical use for my strobes ;-).

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
While reading that I was envisioning a bored jurror whipping out his flashlight and playing with it during some technical blah, blah, blah testimoney. When he found strobe and then shined it in the judges eyes, that was when they decided to ban strobe in certain courtrooms! :)

I know... it didn't make much sense to me either. The same security guard was working the x-ray in the morning and after lunch when he asked me about it, so it did not seem like they were aggressively looking for them. He did say that when he confiscates a laser it gives him something to play with for the rest of the day, though. Haha!

mobi

Newly Enlightened
Going to resurrect this thread.

Had rats getting in and running around house. Apparently, the trick for getting rid of rodents is to keep food out of their reach, and plug up entry holes. That, plus a good trap mostly fixed things.

The rats avoid light. In a dark area, shining a light on one may send it hiding till the light's out. Putting the light on strobe, however, can send it scurrying from the vicinity.

Researched online and found out that this a known fact, that certain species have strong reactions to strobe lights. For now, I set up my Zebralights in strategic areas where the intruders have been spotted, and strobe away. The batteries run out, though; so, ordered a plug in party strobe light to run all night. Would much rather have purchased a plug-in adapter for the Zebralight that would allow it to run off the house current, though, if there are such things.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I use strobe all the time. I use it to signal others and to light my self up when crossing the street when its dark. I have to have one light on me that has strobe. Everyone should use it to cross the street. I hate the day they stop making strobe.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to use strobe daily but not anymore. I used to strobe a delivery guy at work every chance I got. Now the delivery guy is retired and have no longer use strobe.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a new light and its got strobe as one of its mode. Has anyone actually found a practical use for it? I saw it advertised as a self-defense feature, and while the strobe does make me noxious its seems like your better off just shining the high in someone eyes then messing with a strobe. Anyone got any stories were they have actually used it?

No never. It's only annoying. And every time I show of a light with strobe for people they don't like it. But I understand there are some situations when it's useful.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
For me strobe is almost always a waste of time. It's not necessary for self defence because I have far more effectice equipment issued to me for that and I don't think it's particularly hard to ignore the effects of strobe anyway. I don't use it for searching and I don't like UI that includes strobe when cycling brightness levels. It should be activated by a triple click or something that isn't easy to access.

Strobe is useful to me in two scenarios: directing traffic with a wand fitted to the light or when I'm standing on or near roads as a signal to other drivers.

I don't know why manufacturers push the self defence angle of strobe mode, particularly in police lights. If I need to defend myself I won't be mucking around and wasting time trying to activate strobe mode.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to have strobe on some of my lights. Had to use it to back down the neighbors hateful dogs a few times. They let them run loose unfortunately. Also use strobe to signal other hunters when they come towards my treestands before daylight. Never had to use it in a defensive situation. Sheer lumens is best for that.

stephenk

Enlightened
Strobes are very useful for light painting photographers. Single frequency strobes are more preferable than the increasingly prevalent two frequency strobes.

Hoodzy98

Newly Enlightened
Im a young guy, so if im ever at a house party and have my light on me i usaully use it lol everyone loves it😂

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
LOL! The only use I have ever found was when my kids were little at night I would put my mini 123 on strobe and throw it in the pool and the kids would see who could get it first. Good times :)

Im a young guy, so if im ever at a house party and have my light on me i usaully use it lol everyone loves it