HD/bluray is obsolete and is being replaced by 4K UHD standard

markr6

Flashaholic
The box is probably configured for fixed 720P output, possibly because that's what the TV can handle. If the TV can display 1080i, you can change the box settings to pass through the native resolution that the program is being transmitted at.

Yeah I set the box to 1080 (actually it was already set at that but I double checked). My TV is a brand new 50" Samsung 1080p so it should be ready to go.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
At best. They also have Comcast. No matter what I watch, the cable box always says "720p" on the front display. I assumed they only broadcast 720p, at least in my area.

It's probably not progressive scanned. Most broadcasters use interlaced.

To etc,
Looking at a 1080P , 240hz set verses a 4k 120 he set side by side, as long as no motion was int the scene the 4k set looked great. Any motion involved, and the 1080P, 240hz was sharper.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably not progressive scanned. Most broadcasters use interlaced.

To etc,
Looking at a 1080P , 240hz set verses a 4k 120 he set side by side, as long as no motion was int the scene the 4k set looked great. Any motion involved, and the 1080P, 240hz was sharper.

Well, that's a moot point because we will have 4K at 240 Hz.

I know this -- HD at 60 Hz looks terrible.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at this sight http://www.rtings.com/info/fake-ref...otion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion and you'll see we're being sold a bill of goods.

I have a Samsung 46" (UN46C7100) which is a 240 Hz, really *is* 240 Hz and it looks really nice, thank you.

Samsung Motion Rate (2015)

Samsung's Motion Rate means different things depending on whether a TV is 1080p Full HD or 4k UHD.

For 1080p TVs, the Motion Rate number is equal to the real refresh rate. A 1080p TV with a Motion Rate of 120 has a 120 hz panel.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Happened to be at Fry's last night so I checked out the TV section. At the ~5' viewing distances their aisles allow for, 2160 seemed a little sharper than 1080 on the larger models. However, other factors were in play. The sources they were showing on the 1080 screens looked to be of subpar quality with visible artifacts and other deficiencies independent of the resolution difference. They also arranged the showroom floor so that one could not perform a side-by-side comparison between 1080 and 2160 panels.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Here is Scott Wilkinson (editor of AVS Forums) briefly commenting on the merits of HDR (that I mentioned in a post above) on the Leo Laporte The Tech Guy podcast on Twit TV. Sounds like it's going to be the next 'must have' jump in picture quality in home theater.

Just say Dolby Vision. A theater with both Dolby Vision video plus Dolby Atmos audio is Dolby Cinema.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happened to be at Fry's last night so I checked out the TV section. At the ~5' viewing distances their aisles allow for, 2160 seemed a little sharper than 1080 on the larger models. However, other factors were in play. The sources they were showing on the 1080 screens looked to be of subpar quality with visible artifacts and other deficiencies independent of the resolution difference. They also arranged the showroom floor so that one could not perform a side-by-side comparison between 1080 and 2160 panels.

this is the problem with Fry's, Costco and all these other stores - they rarely configure the units correctly, rarely have true 4K source and usually split the signal between multiple units, degrading PQ. it does look better but not sure if it's reaching its potential.

i want to see the PQ playing off a red-ray disk, uncompressed. 200GB source file for a red-ray UHD movie. We are getting into fractions of a terabyte.

twolane

Newly Enlightened
This has been great! I'm in the market for a new screen, and I found this chart that I found pretty interesting..
http://www.rtings.com/info/television-size-to-distance-relationship
I was leaning toward a 4k like others, but have since gone to thinking 1080 with a high refresh rate is the way to go. I just don't really want to get sucked into the "new latest greatest" like 3D TV... that just... flops.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
this is the problem with Fry's, Costco and all these other stores - they rarely configure the units correctly, rarely have true 4K source and usually split the signal between multiple units, degrading PQ. it does look better but not sure if it's reaching its potential.

i want to see the PQ playing off a red-ray disk, uncompressed. 200GB source file for a red-ray UHD movie. We are getting into fractions of a terabyte.

My experience was the opposite: they were putting a heavy thumb down on scale for the 2160 models over the 1080 models.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm not in the market for a TV, but I'm afraid I will be in impulse-buy mode tomorrow. Sorry wallet :)

You have good timing, tomorrow is Prime Day, the second coming of Black Friday..

32" LED TV - $75
32" Smart HDTV - <$200
50" 4K TV Bundle - <$1000
Amazon FireTV Stick - $15 off

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
You have good timing, tomorrow is Prime Day, the second coming of Black Friday..

Yeah that's what I meant. Been looking forward to it since I saw the banner last week. I'm pretty much addicted to Amazon...so bad to the point of buying toilet paper!! LOL not really, but don't put it past me yet.