HDS Systems

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I guess I dont know much about these lights, they look like new versions of Novatac. Can someone explain to me why these are highly sought after? A little more info about them? Thanks

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac licensed their design. HDS is one of the old companies who started making boutique pocket lights in the early days of high power LEDs. They're extremely well made, nearly 100% US, and they have a lot of custom configurations and emitter choices. Also the Rotary is the only(?) selector ring light still manufactured. I have one because I couldn't find anything else like it.

Downsides are they focus more on options and less on lumens. It's also a tiny company with long wait times and relatively high prices. And they still don't have a real pocket clip for the Rotary.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Novatac licensed their design. HDS is one of the old companies who started making boutique pocket lights in the early days of high power LEDs. They're extremely well made, nearly 100% US, and they have a lot of custom configurations and emitter choices. Also the Rotary is the only(?) selector ring light still manufactured. I have one because I couldn't find anything else like it.

Downsides are they focus more on options and less on lumens. It's also a tiny company with long wait times and relatively high prices. And they still don't have a real pocket clip for the Rotary.
I saw the turbo mode on the LE model was 250 lumens, high was 110. It looks pretty small and perfect for EDC. I just cannot get past the 309 dollar price tag. I was trying to figure out if I was missing something.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone explain to me why these are highly sought after?
US made, high quality, potted, rotary interface, low volume production, limited editions.

As far as rotaries go there is also the Jetbeam RRT01 & RRT2, but HDS is the only US made one. If you exclude stuff like the Dominator.

I dont have an HDS myself, for once because they are not very available in Europe, but mostly because for now I haven't felt the need to drop about $500 on one (475€ on Knivesandtools). I find that price hard to justify. That being said I spent more money on sillier things, so chances are someday I will, but not at that price. The few times one comes up for sale on the bay its usually cool white. Oh well.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the turbo mode on the LE model was 250 lumens
true for the Low CRI LED
if you opt for a High CRI Nichia, the output is capped at 200 Lumens

they are big and heavy, more suitable for a belt holster than pocket carry imo. They use CR123 or 16340 batteries..

The novatac was an earlier model, with the same 4 mode clicky UI.. The HDS Rotary has a dial that steps through 24 discrete modes, half of which are below 2 lumens (the designer likes to sleep in caves)

I wrote up some of my impressions comparing the Novatac and HDS

there is a forum where the fans hang out: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/forums/hds.229/

you will find a brisk resale market here:

I sold my HDS when I discovered the Jetbeam RRT-01. For about $60 you can buy a light with a Stepless Rotary dial, that can take 18350 batteries, has lower lows, and higher highs. They dont come w High CRI LEDs, but can be modified to use High CRI Nichias. They also offer extension tubes to fit 18650 batteries if desired. The RRT-01 also has an excellent pocket clip, imo

elzilcho

Enlightened
The HDS isn't super bright. It isn't small, but I don't think it's fair to call it big. It's nearly identical in size to the Malkoff MDC, the SureFire Backup, and the Prometheus Delta. It's slightly smaller than the Elzetta Alpha.

For the lumens you get, it's expensive. Sometimes you have to wait a while before the version you want is available.

The HDS isn't my most-carried light. Around the house I like something smaller. Out and about I want something brighter with features more suited to...to being out and about.

None of that sounds very flattering, but in truth, if I had to pick just one light for everything it would be my HDS rotary. Its capabilities together add up to more than the individual features and, for my needs at least, it does everything well enough for everyday use that I'd be just fine with it and nothing else.

I don't know that an HDS would be suitable as a duty light, because it can't deliver the lumens or candela most first responders want in a flashlight. One of the two people who run HDS these days is a former LEO and I seem to recall him saying that he brings something brighter when the situation calls for it. But for sticking a reliable and durable flashlight in your pocket for normal daily life? It's a good match for that.

Most features are available on both the rotary and the clicky:
- Access high at any time without turning it off (holding the button down when it's already on activates full brightness and releasing the button returns it to the level you were using before).
- Make it a single-level light so there's no possibility you'll accidentally activate some other level at the wrong time.
- Make it true momentary by removing the ability to click it on.
- Get lots (and lots and lots) of notice when the battery is nearing its end and extend how long the juice will last with incremental step-downs so you're never suddenly in the dark (or even the dim).
- Change any setting or mode level on the fly. Programming is insanely fast and easy, especially when compared to more fiddly drivers like the Dr Jones.

With the clicky, it's a snap (and inexpensive) to swap out a flush button for a raised one. Handy when wearing gloves and you need something more mashable. And yes, the pocket clip option for the clicky is waaaaay better than what's available for the rotary.

The rotary can do one thing the clicky can't: Come on at the setting of your choosing each time. Turn the dial before you click and you have dim for the middle of the night, bright when you want full boogie, and anything in between for tasks that need light but you don't want to click through a bunch of levels every time.

kj2

Flashaholic
You dont buy HDS for the lumens. You buy it for the quality.
Have about 60-70 lights, but the one on the nightstand is a HDS.

Croquette

Enlightened
I have a lot of flashlights and mostly high end like HDS, Tana, Mcgizmo, Okluma, surefire, Oveready, ...

I always take two flashlights with me and one of them is always a HDS, and more oftenly a Tana modded HDS :D

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
US made, high quality, potted, rotary interface, low volume production, limited editions.

As far as rotaries go there is also the Jetbeam RRT01 & RRT2, but HDS is the only US made one. If you exclude stuff like the Dominator.

I dont have an HDS myself, for once because they are not very available in Europe, but mostly because for now I haven't felt the need to drop about $500 on one (475€ on Knivesandtools). I find that price hard to justify. That being said I spent more money on sillier things, so chances are someday I will, but not at that price. The few times one comes up for sale on the bay its usually cool white. Oh well.

I currently have a RRT01 but still look at HDS every now and then. Before this I had a Sunwayman V11R and for the life of me I cannot figure why it was discontinued. I thought it was damn near the perfect EDC light. It was also a control ring light and I beat the crap out of it for years before I lost it. I probably still have the box and extension somewhere in my pile of battery and light related stuff. I don't EDC a light anymore as I find myself sitting at a desk most of the time.

I did also have a modded V11R that had a Nichia 219 in it but it sadly died, that was literally the perfect light (for me). I guess this is why I keep looking at HDS because I could spec a high CRI emitter and they're known for durability. Then I remind myself that I lost the V11R somehow and I'd really be kicking myself if I lost a $350-400 flashlight...

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh dear, I did a web search to confirm my memory of model numbers and found this.

am I going to end up buying another flashlight?

(I already have a RRT01, and also there are various vintage flashlights with LED conversions strategically placed around the house so I don't actually NEED another light)

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, I didn't know they were available with a nichia now. I have the original version, without the tail switch. Might have to get this new one. Does anyone know what CCT this one comes in? 4000K?

I didn't either, until this morning! I like the tail switch, that was one of the things that made me get the V11R first, then when Jetbeam added it to the RRT01 it was less of a hardship to have to switch to it. I still preferred the smaller body and cleaner look of the V11R but what are you going to do.

I too would like to know more specs, as this looks very tempting.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to get a V11R back then, but when I looked for them they were already discontinued. The only rotary available at the time was a Niteye Eye 10, so I got that one. It eventually started to flicker on low output, so I stopped carrying it. I was never a big fan of the indexed ring on the Eye10, the smooth rotary on the V11r or RRT01 is much more pleasant to use.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too would like to know more specs, as this looks very tempting.
the specs are in the link you found, and also in the link I put in Post #5...

Here is a review of the 2019 model
The difference is the 2020 model adds a tailswitch, a lubrication hole in the control ring, a thermal step down chip, and extension tubes to run larger batteries. 2020 on top, 2019 on bottom. (photo credit from this LiquidRetro Review)
5ow2z23.jpg

they differ from the Original by adding a brass pill, which makes the 2019 and 2020 models wider and heavier:
n6p1Ng4.jpg
If you have more questions, I will be glad to help

fwiw the Nichia in the 2020 RRT-01 is 4000K, but it is NOT High CRI.. the 70.3 CRI in this test has been confirmed by multiple people:
vbG1Etq.jpg

fwiw the version w 219c comes with an Orange Peel Reflector, which is the one I recommend. The LED can be changed, if you dont know how, there are several people that offer that service...

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I dont know much about these lights, they look like new versions of Novatac. Can someone explain to me why these are highly sought after? A little more info about them? Thanks
Check out the EDC Tactical, it's available with 325 lumens. I have one and it's a very nice bit of kit.

TacDiagram.jpeg

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
bummer. I already have a RRT-01 with the tail switch so if the Nichia is not high CRI there's no temptation there.

I guess that's a good thing though?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like HDS flashlights because they are nearly indestructible and rich with features designed to conserve power and to survive. For example, it can be programmed for a phased step down to zero output if left on while unattended. If you fall asleep with it on, you don't wake up to a dead battery. (I have a newborn baby, this has already saved my battery twice this week.) Similarly, if you choose, it can step down one level from 24 to 23 while on max output for energy savings.

Of all flashlights, I think the hds has a switch that is least likely to wear out or break in normal use. The steel bezel resists deformation. The lens is very hard to break without doing it intentionally. Oh, and the electronics live in a Faraday cage.

One last thing and I'll stop gushing. I also enjoy my malkoff mdc, but it's very easy to unintentionally advance the output by briefly switching it on momentarily. This never happens with an hds. The user interface is sublime.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like HDS flashlights because they are nearly indestructible and rich with features designed to conserve power and to survive. For example, it can be programmed for a phased step down to zero output if left on while unattended. If you fall asleep with it on, you don't wake up to a dead battery. (I have a newborn baby, this has already saved my battery twice this week.) Similarly, if you choose, it can step down one level from 24 to 23 while on max output for energy savings.

Of all flashlights, I think the hds has a switch that is least likely to wear out or break in normal use. The steel bezel resists deformation. The lens is very hard to break without doing it intentionally. Oh, and the electronics live in a Faraday cage.

One last thing and I'll stop gushing. I also enjoy my malkoff mdc, but it's very easy to unintentionally advance the output by briefly switching it on momentarily. This never happens with an hds. The user interface is sublime.
HDS UI is one of if not the best UI out there. Super simple and can be programmed to your liking very easy. Malkoff MDCs are fantastic lights, however I'd rather have them be a 2 mode (high/low) instead of 3, but that's just my personal preference. Zebralights UI is another I enjoy and one of the best, but sometimes when I'm in a hurry I end up hitting the wrong button sequences and activate strobe or some other feature I didn't want.