Headlamp or penlight, which light is better for camping ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
pen light is fine as long as you've got some duct tape to attach it to your head, and don't plan on using it too much (AAA)

ZL H___ series all the way.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I would totally get a ZebraLight-style headlamp. Preferably the H502 or H51 (in whatever option you want, probably the H51Fw or H502c or W when it's out).
One tip I'd like to give is that if you plan to use it for reading, the warm variants are much more pleasant on the eye. Various ways to hang/mount them to stuff is also highly recommended.
I'd go for at least gaffers tape (never use duct tape, ever, on anything) as well as a clamp of sorts (small glue clamp).

The horizontal angle of the light is more practical, and the headlights are usually a bit wider. The business card trick also really helps.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
When in doubt buy both! (I wonder if that phase is still being used)

A headlamp would be more useful, as stated my many others. You can also get a penlight with a headlamp strap so you have the best of both worlds, or a headlamp that can easily be used as a penlight. I know zebralights' first lights were in the second category. Small and easy to pocket, but still worked well as a headlamp and had a nice headlamp strap.

lovemyleds

Newly Enlightened
Headlamp! Focused on close and good spread, plus leaving your hands free. I recommend against regular LEDs though... Virtually any SMD will out do a regular diode countless times over. Ages back I had a luxeon headlamp that kicked arse! Cant imagine what a good cree headlamp does these days!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually camp in a no service campground with a tent and I always bring a headlamp for working, a headlamp for hiking, a mule headlamp for reading, a red headlamp for night time toilet trips, at least 5-6 flashlights for spotting/signaling, a toolbox of flashlights for playing/beam comparison and a lantern for everything else at the table. Going with anything less is just too rustic. Are you a flashaholic or not?

Dankung

Newly Enlightened
I love hiking and camping very much.

me and my buddies 's choice for reference.

climb2.jpg

rambo180

Enlightened
I usually camp in a no service campground with a tent and I always bring a headlamp for working, a headlamp for hiking, a mule headlamp for reading, a red headlamp for night time toilet trips, at least 5-6 flashlights for spotting/signaling, a toolbox of flashlights for playing/beam comparison and a lantern for everything else at the table. Going with anything less is just too rustic. Are you a flashaholic or not?

What type of working do you do that you need 11 lighting devices? Building a pyramid?

Dam. Flashaholic for sure. I welcome your enthusiasm.

olfart

Newly Enlightened
I may have become infected by flashoholism, but I like to have a headlamp (Energizer white/red) for working around the campsite or walking dogs, a flashlight for those bumps in the night that need investigating, and a small pocket light to help me see down into dark storage spots.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ZL H51Fc basically serves as a penlight or a headlight depending upon what I need it to do. I've set aside the headband and simply clip it under the brim of my ball cap when I need a headlamp. Otherwise it stays clipped in a jeans pocket or clipped in the waistband of my shorts, pretty much unnoticed until needed.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
What type of working do you do that you need 11 lighting devices? Building a pyramid?

Dam. Flashaholic for sure. I welcome your enthusiasm.

I never said I needed all those lights, but where else can a flashaholic enjoy his lights better than when camping? Plus I would put myself to shame should I be left with just one dead flashlight in the dark.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I think the ZebraLight H501 is better than any headlamp, which is better than any penlight.

For camping, that is...

mbw_151

Enlightened
+ 1000 on the floody headlamp with a handheld for throw. Get lights that have multiple output levels and use the same cell. AAA, AA or 123, there are combinations available for each. My two favorite combos are Zebra H501 with a Quark AA and Surefire Minimus with a HDS EDC.

markr6

Flashaholic
Like others said, I like to have both. I have a ZL H502 on the way to replace my old Black Diamond spot, and a Fenix E11 is great for some extra throw if you need to see things in the distance. These make a great lightweight option.

Almost forgot, I also carry a Photon Micro-Light II in my first aid kit as a last resort.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Oldrich, several links and hot linked images have been removed, and saved for the record. Looks like apparent shilling/spamming. Appears that the premise of your thread is to generate interest in a web store. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.