Headlamp? Why do I need a headlamp?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I keep one in each car, a few at home, and one in my tool bag.
The tool bag model was used extensively today while I riveted a computerized package access system together for a new apartment building. Invaluable when needing both hands free for work.

For red and white without getting expensive, try the D25LR, great for the price.

Buff

Enlightened
Is it bad that i like the 90 degree hand held headlamp as my main carry light?
IMG_5475.jpeg

I suppose i will get around to strapping it to my head one of these days. That's why i bought 2.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it bad that i like the 90 degree hand held headlamp as my main carry light?
Nope. To each their own, I say. Lots of choices and options for everyone these days, and there's no bad / good, right / wrong - only what you like.

EDIT: I guess there's 'ice pick' grip, 'garden hose' grip, and now, 'aerosol can' grip;-)

Last edited:

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
Hey Bob, its funny that at 76 you still give a snot about what people think about what you are wearing. BTW around here, when our dog takes a dump, we pick it up and trash it. If you do the same, a headlamp makes it much easier to hold the dogs on a leash with one hand and seeing what you are doing with the other.

Well, here's the thing: I live in very close proximity to the District of Columbia. This city has been found to have more psychopaths than any other location in America. A researcher, Ryan Murphy, has published a paper on the subject. The city draws people of that category by its very nature. Where the average range of pyschopathy in society is said to be about 1-1.5% of the population, around here it's almost 4%.

In addition to the usual types, it's a concentrated behavioral sink, with a highly-stressed extremely economically divers population thrown in close proximity.

I try to avoid encounters with the inevitable street thugs, carjackers, drug dealers, lawyers and politicians, but they're predators by their very nature. It's best to blend in, while exercising awareness of one's surroundings. So wearing a headlight would immediately attract attention under most circumstances, which is why I'd tend to avoid it as a regular piece of kit.

Other than that, I tend to keep my general appearance low key, with no bling or particular flash. Pretty easy, as I prefer wandering about in slightly shabby old comfortable clothes. So far it's worked pretty well.

(I always find myself somewhat incredulous, observing so many people with earbuds walking around, usually staring into their cellphones, with zero idea of anything going on around them. I don't know how they survive; they seem to count on everyone else looking out for them, and I guess it usually works).

Headlamps are cool, and I'm probably going to get one (as if; things of this nature are like really expensive potato chips, as you all know). But where I am I'd only need it occasionally. I'll keep y'all posted.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
> Headlamp? Why do I need a headlamp?

it sounds like maybe you don't?

but i sure do. if i could only have one light, it'd be a headlamp.

flashlight use cases:
  • when no headlamp is available (lol)
  • need to place a light source away from your head e.g.:
    • 90° from your head or some other angle for shadow contrast
    • viewing in a tight space like inside a crack or behind something
    • shining into a small hole while you view inside from another opening
  • when you don't want a headband mark left on your forehead or don't want to mess up your hair
  • stationary, ambient illumination (ceiling bounce)
  • mood lighting
  • artistic lighting effects
headlamp use cases:
  • physical activities like bike riding, hiking, skating, skateboarding, jogging
  • hands free lighting
  • task lighting
  • home improvement
  • automotive repair
  • nonstationary lighting needed for extended period of time
  • camping
PS: here's the best one – just buy this and be done with it:

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Well, here's the thing: I live in very close proximity to the District of Columbia. This city has been found to have more psychopaths than any other location in America. A researcher, Ryan Murphy, has published a paper on the subject. The city draws people of that category by its very nature. Where the average range of pyschopathy in society is said to be about 1-1.5% of the population, around here it's almost 4%.

In addition to the usual types, it's a concentrated behavioral sink, with a highly-stressed extremely economically divers population thrown in close proximity.

I try to avoid encounters with the inevitable street thugs, carjackers, drug dealers, lawyers and politicians, but they're predators by their very nature. It's best to blend in, while exercising awareness of one's surroundings. So wearing a headlight would immediately attract attention under most circumstances, which is why I'd tend to avoid it as a regular piece of kit.

Other than that, I tend to keep my general appearance low key, with no bling or particular flash. Pretty easy, as I prefer wandering about in slightly shabby old comfortable clothes. So far it's worked pretty well.

(I always find myself somewhat incredulous, observing so many people with earbuds walking around, usually staring into their cellphones, with zero idea of anything going on around them. I don't know how they survive; they seem to count on everyone else looking out for them, and I guess it usually works).

Headlamps are cool, and I'm probably going to get one (as if; things of this nature are like really expensive potato chips, as you all know). But where I am I'd only need it occasionally. I'll keep y'all posted.
Bob, I tried a few headlamps, and settled on this one.
I like it so much that I now have three of them. One I keep in the car.
It can be worn around the back of your hand if that is convenient.

For what its worth, I don't think too many cretins would care to mess with a guy while he is walking his two pits.

fulee9999

Enlightened
just to add a bit of variety to the options, most trekkers/hikers I've seen ( and a few marshals ) use either a Petzl or Black Diamond headlamp.
personally I like the Black Diamond Spot 350, it's very light, dead simple UI, and it has three different light modes: flood, spot and red, where you can set the output level for the three independently and it has mode memory.
if I'm doing something with a headlamp where color accuracy is important, than the ArmyTek Wizard Nichia, which is the best all-rounder imho , but it's a bit heavy.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Ah! Grey Man tactic. I use that myself on a daily basis. Have jewelry but practically never wear it, dress to blend in with everyone else. Try not to look affluent. Your situation is very understandable.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast

;-) Having lived in Herndon, Columbia, W. B'more, and Owings Mills, and frequently worked in D.C. proper and the whole metro area, I understand exactly what you're saying. That town is a disaster, not unlike many metro areas in this country these days, but probably worse than most of those. It's probably gotten far worse there than in the 80s when I headed West.

For what it's worth, I practically never use my headlamp outdoors when walking about and similar situations. I use it more often in task-oriented situations, and that is most often, although not always indoors. My vision too leaves something to be desired now, and I find increasing light levels on my task often mitigates that deficiency somewhat; that and the fact that many of those tasks require the use of both hands, and my fixed ambient lighting is often minimal indoors, both at home and in work environment. If I have a hand free, I most often use a hand-held flashlight, as I appreciate having that level of control over the lighting right in my hand. General walking about outdoors is not what hooked me on using headlamps. I would likely have never bought one for those situations, although my little Fenix is small enough to fit OK in my front pants pocket, so it's easy to 'have it with me' if I think I might need it.

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
Bob, I tried a few headlamps, and settled on this one.
I like it so much that I now have three of them. One I keep in the car.
It can be worn around the back of your hand if that is convenient.

For what its worth, I don't think too many cretins would care to mess with a guy while he is walking his two pits.
I appreciate your recommendation.

I've already talked myself into the Zebra red one. Once I give it a try, I'll probably be looking for a white light HL as well. I'll put your suggestion at the top of the list.

Boy, do I understand your concern about good stuff turning unobtainable. I've spent far more than I should to have redundancy, but I don't regret doing so.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I appreciate your recommendation.

I've already talked myself into the Zebra red one. Once I give it a try, I'll probably be looking for a white light HL as well. I'll put your suggestion at the top of the list.

Boy, do I understand your concern about good stuff turning unobtainable. I've spent far more than I should to have redundancy, but I don't regret doing so.
sofirn makes one with a red led too.

H25LR

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened

Agreed. Here in NOVA, It's the MIC that funds EVERYTHING; you're tax dollars at work. It's a DEI system that rewards incompetence and laziness, at the expense of merit and hard work. It is a MASSIVE redistribution of wealth scheme. Ultimately, this results in a predator class that preys on the working/upper class and rewards the garbage, who are not held accountable for their actions. Property values reflect this.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Apparently? Tell us more.
Well, since you asked....
Some of them don't mind holding a flashlight for you as you change a flat tire. But seems their hands cramp up easily, and they can never hold it steady. That's assuming it's not raining outside. If it is, they just sit in the vehicle. Apparently they think they're all very petite and lightweight. Makes jacking that car up more difficult. I mean, if you have something like a 4D-cell Maglite, you can tuck that sucker underneath an arm and it'll mostly point where you need it to. But it can still be fatiguing. A shorter hand-held light? Forget it! It'll drop.

Absolutely need a headlamp. Light directed where you need and want it. Easy enough to buy a quality one that won't be affected by the rain. Technically you could use a lantern with a good, flat base. But in the rain, I find few are water-resistant. And the ones that are, tend to be more expensive than a good headlamp that will keep out water from getting in. Also, if you're partially in a ditch but feel that you could get out if you didn't have that flat tire, now you don't have a flat and level surface to put the lantern down onto. Very frustrating.

Also, even with a flat surface, few lanterns can concentrate that beam of light right where you need or want it. They're just not designed for focusing onto one specific spot. So, that's largely out.

However there's also the issue of whether or not you even have a spare tire in the first place, with auto-makers cheaping out and not even providing one. All you get is a tire-inflation kit. And, that's not going to help if the side-wall is punctured. In my case, there's another issue. My car is very reliable.... and nearly 20 years old. That same donut of a spare tire is still resting below the trunk's lining. Really would rather not toss that onto my vehicle. Not even for a very short 30mph. ride pretty much anywhere. Been a couple of times I've limped to a garage 1/8th of a mile away on the flat to get a Pro to take care of that for me.

Unfortunately, I'm getting old. I can still get up if I fall or if I need to kneel down next to a flat tire. But it takes awhile. Not going to lie. Also, despise the fact that so many "car experts" say to carry an old towel in the trunk. Fold it up, put it down on the rock-solid concrete and change the tire. Screw that! Get a cheap set of Contractor's kneepads for Home Depot. No need for a thin towel that will leave your knees bleeding. I recommend the ones that come with velcro straps (two for each kneepad). That way you can really cinch them down. Oh, and if you get the tire changed for you at a garage nearby, be sure the mechanic puts all the valve caps back on. Sometimes they legit forget to do so. I think that about covers it.