Headphone recommendations?

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the case stays with the cord at the plug end while you use it then? That should work well to tame the tangle..

Good point about the open type design vs. closed; I like the V6 for that reason; I can keep the volume low even in the noisier environments- I'm past the "crank it till yer ears bleed", aka the "but we have 11" stage; I want to preserve my hearing for a while to come.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
Nope, doesn't stay with the cord. It's an empty shell you have to carry around with you when the buds are in use, unfortunately.

Sorry, should have been more specific.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done some research on what local shops carry and tomorrow I hope to listen to Grado's SR-80s (Cambridge Soundworks) as well as Sennheiser HD-570 (Tweeters). A wild card at Tweeter's is that I see they offer Bose Triports ($150). Anybody know anything about these headphones?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up getting a pair of Sennheiser HD497's, 20 percent off at CompUSA for $55. A big improvement over my Radio Shack Pro 35s which I thought was good at the time. I know you can get better cans then this but I think it is a very good value for the money. Those guys in the headphone forums are just as zealous about their "cans" as we are about our lights. You can spend several hundred dollars for a good pair of headphones and the then requried amp and most of the guys there say one set of headphones is not enough.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
hokiefritz said:
Nope, doesn't stay with the cord. It's an empty shell you have to carry around with you when the buds are in use, unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]
Got a set-

The case does work pretty nicely to keep it tidy when stowed-

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have or tested the StudioPhonics Hearos In-Ear Speakers? Are they worth the price? Thanks for any input.

DavidH

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to chime in on the Sony MDR V6 too, I've had mine for about 15 years and they still sound great. I like the semi-compact folding mechanism. The price seems about the same as back then too.

Saaby

Flashaholic
geepondy, glad you like your new cans. Incidently enough I use and love...Radio Shack Pro 35s. I plan on a pair of Grado's eventually but last time I needed headphones (I have to pick and choose my hobbies so 1 pair of headphones is fine for me) it was either a pair of Pro 35s and a flashlight or the Grados. The Pro 35s won.

The Pro 35s are a nice, durrable headphone. I think they use the same drivers as the Koss Portapro, in either case they're made by Koss (The plug says "Koss" right on it). I realize they're not the world's greatest but I think they're the hands down winner in the value category. $40 at Radio Shack but often go on sale for $20. Look much much nicer than the Porta Pros.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby I have bought the Pro 35s on sale for $20 a couple of different times and at that price they are a good value and the inline volume control is nice. However believe me, the HD497s produce significantly better sound with clearer instrument definition and separation. Now it makes me wonder even how much better the HD580s or HD600s would sound but you're right, some of us have to pick and choose where we spend our hobby money so I will enjoy these headphones for awhile.