Heads up on West Montain Radio CBA software version 2.2.7

My2Cents

Newly Enlightened
Heads up on West Mountain Radio CBA software version 2.2.7

Information displayed on right side (Voltage, Current, AmpHr, Watts and Temp) disappears at end of test.
You have to select 'connect to CBA' immediately for info to show again otherwise it's gone.
If you want to see data, then export and view info in csv file.

Also, in 2.1 and 2.2, it shows 0.01 volts even if there's no battery connected.

Already sent tech email about this.

If you want to duplicate, I selected 'Minutes' instead of default 'AmpHr' for my test.

ecrbattery

Newly Enlightened
This new version 2.2.7 (running CBA III) also broke the

"Stop test when battery temperature reach "x" deg"

If you check this option, the test stop right away even temperature is below the shutoff limit.

Zyban

Newly Enlightened
I recently pulled my CBA II out of storage and started using it on an old XP machine with the new 2.2.7. I'm glad I'm not the only one that found the loss of data after the test annoying. Mine shows a resting voltage of 0.03 even if no battery is attached. It still shows that even if nothing (adapter wise) is connected to the CBA's power pole connectors. There has to be a way to zero the voltage in the software, but I haven't found it yet.

Norm

Retired Administrator
The software seems very limited in what you can customise, I don't even see a time option :shrug:
Norm

Edit: I'm referring to CBA II

Last edited:

Papuga

Newly Enlightened
Re: Heads up on West Mountain Radio CBA software version 2.2.7

Information displayed on right side (Voltage, Current, AmpHr, Watts and Temp) disappears at end of test.
You have to select 'connect to CBA' immediately for info to show again otherwise it's gone.
If you want to see data, then export and view info in csv file.

Also, in 2.1 and 2.2, it shows 0.01 volts even if there's no battery connected.

Already sent tech email about this.

If you want to duplicate, I selected 'Minutes' instead of default 'AmpHr' for my test.

West Mountain has released a newer, new version 2.2.9 which "seems" to have repaired the issue with the disappearing data. I did notice that there may be a new issue with this version, but I need to test a few more batteries to be sure it is the software and not the battery under test.

Here is what I am observing - the test runs perfectly until just about the last few seconds of the test. During this period it appears that there is some electrical noise or chatter being plotted. It is not a clean roll off until the test ends. Now to be fair, the batteries that I was testing were rather old, 10+ year Sanyo industrial batteries that just came off the C9000 from a forming charge.

I am going to test a few Eneloops tonight to see if this is the software or the old batteries dying in a 'strange' way.

-Ciao

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is what I am observing - the test runs perfectly until just about the last few seconds of the test. During this period it appears that there is some electrical noise or chatter being plotted. It is not a clean roll off until the test ends.

Hi Papuga. At what rate are you discharging these cells? If you are discharging at a low rate, it is common to see the voltage rise and fall sharply near the end of discharge. This is more evident with NiCd cells, but you will see it with NiMh cells, as well.

In the case of NiCd cells, it is the larger crystals on the electrodes breaking up. As they break up, "fresh" material is exposed causing the voltage to rise. When this energy is released, the voltage again drops. This can go on for quite some time, and is repeatable if you discharge the cell again, without recharging. NiMh cells have a similar situation where you can see this. I think it is the "unclogging" of the electrode material, in this case though. Just the same, new material is exposed causing fluctuations in voltage.

Dave

Norm

Retired Administrator

Is there an update for CBA II above 1.0.8.1 ?
Thanks Norm

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there an update for CBA II above 1.0.8.1 ?

I'm running 2.1.0.18 with my CBA II. I had to put together a 32 bit computer from old parts and run Win XP to do it though. I can't remember if the problem was the OS, or the 64 bit. Anyway, I haven't updated it since I installed it, but it works fine.

Dave

Norm

Retired Administrator

Thanks Dave I'll have to try and find a download, I bought the CBA II from another member not realizing that it wouldn't work on my PC, fortunately I got hold of a few year old Toshiba lap top, worked out well in the end as now I have a stand alone system.
Norm

Edit OK I found the updates here http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=supportcba#latestVersion

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I failed to mention that I originally had the CBA working with a 32 bit Win XP computer back in 2006(?). It was when that computer failed and I attempred to install the CBA software on a 64 bit (Win XP Pro 64 bit) that I ran into trouble. That is why I ended up with the new (at the time) 2.1.0.18 version, on a different 32 bit computer.

Dave

Norm

Retired Administrator

This is a bit sad

The CBA II would require Recalibration to program unit to work under Vista or Windows 7. (See Support > Return/Repair)
From the linked page.

Running Vista, so it may be a bit of a pain for me to return it for calibration from Australia, I'll have to check to see what I would gain from the upgrade.

Norm

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe run a 32bit virtual machine with Windows XP and see if that works?

Papuga

Newly Enlightened

Hi Papuga. At what rate are you discharging these cells? If you are discharging at a low rate, it is common to see the voltage rise and fall sharply near the end of discharge. This is more evident with NiCd cells, but you will see it with NiMh cells, as well.

In the case of NiCd cells, it is the larger crystals on the electrodes breaking up. As they break up, "fresh" material is exposed causing the voltage to rise. When this energy is released, the voltage again drops. This can go on for quite some time, and is repeatable if you discharge the cell again, without recharging. NiMh cells have a similar situation where you can see this. I think it is the "unclogging" of the electrode material, in this case though. Just the same, new material is exposed causing fluctuations in voltage.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was testing at 1 amp when this artifact began to show up. I think that you may be on to something because these cells are quite old, but not yet achieved 'crap' status. Currently testing an Eneloop at 0.5C to compare results.

- Ciao

Papuga

Newly Enlightened

Maybe run a 32bit virtual machine with Windows XP and see if that works?

Download the free VMware player and install XP. This has saved me many hours of frustration with several programs that simply do not play nice with Vista or 7. I use this with an older copy of Orcad and it literally saved me $10k in upgrade fees and learning curve grief. I still use the DOS version of Orcad because this is what I learned in college to design and build pc boards. This is what I used on my CBA2 before I acquired the newer model and it worked fine. You do need your original XP disk to set up the VM though.

Good luck

- Ciao

Ed

My2Cents

Newly Enlightened

After being burned by version 2.2.7, paid more attention to upgrade notes. Per website, version 2.2.9 gives user the ability to buy more stuff online and nothing for improving device accuracy. My CBA3 reports .01 volt with no battery connected. I'll stay with 2.2.6 for now.