Help! Hurricane Sandy Will Wreak Destruction! What is the Best LED Flashlight?

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Re: Help! Hurricane Sandy will REAP Destruction! I Need the Best LED Lantern Availabl

The greatest lantern ever made has to be the Zebralight H502... it's about all it's good for, but I digress....

A Fenix LD12, LD22 with the lantern tip, or a homemade one.

...I went to lowes yesterday looking for something decent in a power out; I saw a 9 lumen 2aa light with a 6 hour runtime.
We the few, the spoiled, the CPFers, we forget how good we have it.

Those cheap-o, backyard solar lights are perfect for power outs. They charge all day in the sun, and run all night at 1-3 lumens

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Re: Help! Hurricane Sandy will REAP Destruction! I Need the Best LED Lantern Availabl

***Newsflash*** : Local Walmart/New England area- Oxford,ma. , wiped out of flashlights. 97% of its inventory. Only 2 2nd gen 139lm maglite xl 50s, and a some spotlights left. Every other new or current LED flashlight is sold out... Only headlamps, and clip on cap lights remain in any large number...Walmart personnel blame panic buying due to possible severe winter storm...Luckily, I already have my bases covered. [ 1.) Mag tac 320 lm flashlight. 2.) Little brother/ maglite xl50 139lm. 3.) Coleman ct 50 ,500 lm. 4.) Ct 20 200 lm
. 5.) Fenix tk 11, 240 lm. 6.) Jetbeam bc10 , 270lm. 7.) Coast tac, 5-led light, 109 lm. 8.) Coast tac cree 200 lm . 9.) And a few other scatter about!!!!]. Don't forget about food, and other necessities!!!!!

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

The greatest lantern ever made has to be the Zebralight H502... it's about all it's good for, but I digress....

A Fenix LD12, LD22 with the lantern tip, or a homemade one.

...I went to lowes yesterday looking for something decent in a power out; I saw a 9 lumen 2aa light with a 6 hour runtime.
We the few, the spoiled, the CPFers, we forget how good we have it.

Those cheap-o, backyard solar lights are perfect for power outs. They charge all day in the sun, and run all night at 1-3 lumens

Hey guys, im not trolling here, as i have two portable solar charger setups. Word of advice, dont rely on solar chargers in this kind of emergency, hurricanes are HUGE storms, and even the fringes of them will block out substantial sunlight. In this situation, solar setups are near useless, providing less than 70 mA of charging current. Charge up all your batteries through your wall outlet at least 4 days before the storm, so if you need to evac, you have some charged cells with you. Solar charges will be useless DURING the storm, especially during blackouts. :/

vpr5703

Newly Enlightened

I've got my Olight handy with 6 fully charged batts, and, if our power goes out for a long time, I can use my charger with a 12V battery (1 in each of the 2 cars, plus a smaller one on my lawnmower) to charge em back up! I'm good for a while.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

Again I see no one has mentioned hygiene and body waste.

I have a sealable bucket and cat litter to last up to ten days.

vpr5703

Newly Enlightened

I live on 4.6 acres of land and I have a shovel. No litter needed!

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help! Hurricane Sandy Will REAP Destruction! What is the Best LED Flashlight?

Since your thread is asking for the best, a surefire 2 cell light, capable of tailstanding, with a malkoff M61LL.
Or a 3 cell with 2x AA and a malkoff M31LL.
Over 10 hours runtime with 100 lumens.

And the surefire E2DL for it's good runtime on low, and ability to really put lots of light when needed.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help! Hurricane Sandy Will REAP Destruction! What is the Best LED Flashlight?

Huh? I'll just pour some water from a bucket down the toilet... there'll be plenty of excess from puddles, ponds, streams... or you can just fill a bathtub before the storm.

davidhunternyc

Newly Enlightened

Realistically though, that's going to be worst-case scenario. Some bottled water, a lantern or two, iPad or books, canned food. Covers the basics and a bit of entertainment.

1jx2ti.png

I have a better a idea... a Spy 007 XM-L!

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help! Hurricane Sandy Will REAP Destruction! What is the Best LED Flashlight?

Huh? I'll just pour some water from a bucket down the toilet... there'll be plenty of excess from puddles, ponds, streams... or you can just fill a bathtub before the storm.

In a true emergency water will be valuable than you have expressed.

Ezeriel

Enlightened

In a true emergency water will be valuable than you have expressed.

clean water, sure... but dirty water?

do you all lose water pressure in a power out? in my city it isn't something I'd want to drink, but we keep water pressure up.
worst case scenario, the garbage can I catch rain water in will do for flushing toilets

as for the solar lights, even on rainy days I get 3-5 hours out of them, by that time I'm going to bed anyways ;)
..but I do see your point. How about we compromise and settle on solar lights+tap lights?

when the solar goes out, the tap lights can take over

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help! Hurricane Sandy Will REAP Destruction! What is the Best LED Flashlight?

clean water, sure... but dirty water?

Not even concerned about that either... I'm a camper and have water filters, UV purifiers, purification tablets and droplets, household chlorine etc... and there'll be plenty of water around on the Eastcoast.

In terms of solar, of course you need a buffer for few days until the sun comes back out, but I'm a low lumen freak and moonlight mode with one Eneloop will carry me for a week easy. Course, there's the dozens of AA/AAA sitting around house in all the remotes, thermostats and clocks too.

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened

I forgot to mention, ITP A2/Olight i2 (I haven't checked the 47s Mini AA but it should work too) and Gerber Infinity Ultra can use both AA and AAA batteries without an adapter cause of strong spring in them. The Gerber IU is the best battery vampire I came across. It can even run on batteries that are too empty for a Fenix E01.

Ezeriel

Enlightened

I forgot to mention, ITP A2/Olight i2 (I haven't checked the 47s Mini AA but it should work too) and Gerber Infinity Ultra can use both AA and AAA batteries without an adapter cause of strong spring in them. The Gerber IU is the best battery vampire I came across. It can even run on batteries that are too empty for a Fenix E01.

I gave my niece an Olight I2.... 60 hours at 2.5 lumens sure does come in handy

...and every time she comes over, I have to play with it, and every time I see it think "I want one" :D

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Emergency urban hygene and waste disposal (of all kinds) are covered to a mind numbing extent, along with insects, looters as well as other emergency related topics in the cpf thread entitled:

"An Emergency Water Epiphany"

Its all in there. It also covers water. :D

Use the Google search box at the top of the page to find it.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

...I'm less than amused at the BS on the local news...
In my experience that's just the beginning. AFTER any real natural disaster is over the local politicians may vastly exacerbate the damage by the utterly thoughtless and selfish decisions that they make, (allegedly on your behalf) to try to save their jobs. That process has most probably started already, before the storm even hits.

Lawrence J. Vale and Thomas J. Campanella have compiled essays about the destruction, aftermath and rebuilding of over twenty cities that were totally destroyed from disparate causes. It is entitled, "The Resilient City: How Modern Cities Recover from Disaster." It is a compelling read that illustrates, through the writings of many different authors, how more often than not local, regional and national pols make matters far worse for their constituents during and after a disaster by making decisions which are either clueless or worse, motivated by attempts to save their own career.

I'm NOT trying to single out the East coast here. This is what humans do everywhere.

Last edited:

Quiksilver

Enlightened

2010 join date on cpf and you dont have a flashlight yet???

yourdoinitwrong

good luck anyways, prayers and all that

davidhunternyc

Newly Enlightened

2010 join date on cpf and you dont have a flashlight yet???
yourdoinitwrong
good luck anyways, prayers and all that

I know. I'm crazy. I don't have too many posts on this forum either. Only Hurricane Sandy has gotten me interested in flashlights again. I don't own any flashlights and so I plan on weathering the storm with all of the pillar candles I have accumulated over the years. I was drawn to these forums specifically for one flashlight: the Lumencraft Polaris Sapphire. I don't know much about flashlights but I do have an eye for seeing masterpieces of object making and the Polaris Sapphire was the most gorgeous flashlight I've ever seen.. well, kinda, as this flashlight never made it into production. I have yet to see a flashlight as beautiful as this but I am now searching again. Until I find my holy grail of flashlights, I will remain as my membership status states, "Unenlightened".

nmdidw.jpg

Last edited: