Help modding Mag6C to throw like Surefire6P

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have an old Streamlight Excalibre 5D with 6C NimH in it. This would be much like your 6C. It runs a WA01111, as it's the correct number of batteries and the 1111 doesn't have a great beam in any other light I've tried.

For jollies, I ran the ROP HI in it, and it is every bit as bright (and maybe brighter - no way for me to go head-to-head). As a bonus, the ROP HI has a pleasing beam even in a SMO reflector. A LOP reflector is just icing on the cake!

I would very much recommend the ROP bulbs. I believe there is even a set for Alk batteries, though I know not how bright it would be.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
One trick to get lazer like throw (but still some spill and corona) is a Carley 1940 reflector. It has a small hole and a shape that gives a tight spot with a stock MC bulb frosted!

I prefer a beafier spot for many uses, but this has it's place.

lucio

Newly Enlightened
JimH said:
Here's the recipe:

Mag 6C with a WA1111 bulb, 6x5500 mAh NiMH batts, SMO reflector, mineral glass lens.

Result:

700+ lumens out the front end for well over an hour.

This light will blow the socks off any Surefire you have, and it's rechargeable.

If you really want it to throw like a 6P, we can always make it a lot dimmer :laughing:

so just changing the bulb can turn a long-lasting torch in a more powerful one?