HELP: SF E2LAA-A (KE1B head) on an E1L body. Will it work?

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there

I am trying to get one new Surefire E1L-A Outdoorsman, but nobody have it in stock. They just have the E2LAA-A Outdoorsman in stock.

So I am thinking to get one E2LAA-A (KE1B head), powered by 2xAA batteries. It has 115 lumens on high mode and 5 lumens in low mode. Can I use it´s head (KE1B) in an E1L body? I mean, with an E1L body and tailcap, powered by 1xCR123 battery, will it work fine, with no danger to the LED or circuit?

Because sometimes I use my old E2L-AA head (KX1B) on an E1L body, powered by 1xCR123, and it works fine!

I wonder if it is possible to do the same thing, but using the new E2LAA-A head (KE1B), working in an old E1L body (with a 1xCR123), without damaging the light. You know, it would be a way to have an "E1L-A"...

Sorry for my english...

Thanks in advance!

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
But what about battery voltage?

I mean... 2xAA lithium primaries works in the same voltage as a 1xCR123?

bartko09

Enlightened
I'm not sure I'd call 1.2v over what it's rated at "safe". That's over a 33% increase.

I use a 10440 in a Maratac rated to use 1.5v so it's possible, but I wouldn't try it because some guy on the internet said it was "close". No offense [emoji23]

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be less than that because the 3.4 is a resting no load voltage. As soon as the light is turned on, within milliseconds the working load voltage going thru the emitter will be less. I have ran my my E1B head with this setup and it works fine. The E1L should be very similar.

1.7 x 2 = 3.4 or 0.4V over?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be less than that because the 3.4 is a resting no load voltage. As soon as the light is turned on, within milliseconds the working load voltage going thru the emitter will be less. I have ran my my E1B head with this setup and it works fine. The E1L should be very similar.

Yes agreed. But CR123s will sag as well - two L91s should hold a higher V than 1 CR123 at any draw level, if nothing else, just due to the higher capacity.

http://lygte-info.dk/info/CR123A and rechargeable substitutes UK.html

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP asked about AA L91 Lithium primaries

Im sorry. I know nothing about voltage and amperage. My point is: if Surefire built the E2LAA-A to work with 2xAA Lithium Primaries (ex. Energizer Lithium AA), can it work safely with just 1xCR123, by swaping it´s body?

2xAA lithium primaries have more power than 1xCR123? Or less?

Can I damage E2LAA-A´s circuit by using it powered by 1 Surefire CR123 battery?

Thanks!

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damage? Definitely not, as you'll be using it with a lower voltage.

Two L91 will also hold voltage better than a single 123, and will offer extended runtime. More watt hours.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, what he said ^^

Im sorry. I know nothing about voltage and amperage. My point is: if Surefire built the E2LAA-A to work with 2xAA Lithium Primaries (ex. Energizer Lithium AA), can it work safely with just 1xCR123, by swaping it´s body?

2xAA lithium primaries have more power than 1xCR123? Or less?

Can I damage E2LAA-A´s circuit by using it powered by 1 Surefire CR123 battery?

Thanks!

It'll work fine.... just stick to primaries, my post above was to Bartko who brought up 4.2v (RCR123/16340s) rechargeables - don't use those, that might fry the circuit.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, what he said ^^

It'll work fine.... just stick to primaries, my post above was to Bartko who brought up 4.2v (RCR123/16340s) rechargeables - don't use those, that might fry the circuit.

Great! I only use primaries (L91 AA and SF CR123).

Thanks for you answers guys! :twothumbs

Prepped

Enlightened
I think Surefire has discontinued the E1L, sadly. It's not listed on their site anymore.
I've had mine for years now and it's still going strong. I have the old KX1 head on it. I still love this thing.