Hercules is here. Fantastic. REVIEW INSIDE! (pics)(updated 2)

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hercules is here. Fantastic. REVIEW INSIDE! (pics)(updated)

Chief117 said:
:huh2: Nope. Maybe if you buy them wholesale and than pay for shipping. At walgreens they are $7 each.

Definitely "YES" on the $1 CR123.. Click here to go to Battery Station's CPF Special page, and about 2/3 way down the page, there are Battery Station branded CR123s available for $1 each.. Just make sure to list your CPF name in the comment field when ordering.

For a list of all dealer CPF specials, click here.

Chief117

Newly Enlightened

And they are coming to that conclusion from a voice comparison of two wildly different voices? Oh come on. Listen to that MP3 again. We really dont sound at all the same. You decide.
Anyways, I discovered something else that I like about the hercules. When its warmed up, the fan inside makes the unit vibrate a bit. Nice!

Ok, fine, maybe you can find them online for $1, but that doesnt change the issue. If you look online you can find "D" batteries for a third of that each.

Last edited:

jkaiser3000

Enlightened

When its warmed up, the fan inside makes the unit vibrate a bit. Nice!

Why exactly do you find that "feature" nice?. Forgive me, I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious. Maybe you think you're getting a hand massage when holding it?, or maybe it tickles you? :lolsign:

Chief117

Newly Enlightened

jkaiser3000 said:
Why exactly do you find that "feature" nice?. Forgive me, I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious. Maybe you think you're getting a hand massage when holding it?, or maybe it tickles you? :lolsign:

Its the same general concept as how a laser feels better if its heavier. It just seems more powerful.

tobjectpascal

Banned

But anyway, It's not something i would like to have to explain to customs while going on holiday, last thing i need is the feds getting up off their chairs to shoot me thinking, well god knows what they would be thinking if they saw that thing in my suitcase / hand luggage.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Please stop discussing the problems and issues of other forums here. CPF is not the platform for this kind of discussion.

Chief117 ... I do not care wether CR123 batteries are cheaper and/or better than D-Cells in your opinion, but I do care about misinformation posted and re-enforced even after a corrective post (mine).
The next time, please try to actually think about what others post and why they do it, and if your opinion differs, *ask* about it instead of flatly denying possibilities that lie outside your realm of experiences.

Batteries are a basic flashlight issue, and had you cared to use the resources this place has to offer you would have easily found out the truth. Flashlight geeks do use batteries, and generally know where to purchase them at what price.

bernhard

Athoul

Enlightened

Sorry to go off topic, but I saw that you were talking about batteries there for a sec. Does anyone happen to know off hand what the mah rating is on those Battery Station brand cr123's? If so feel free to send me a PM so as to not contiune to go off topic.

cheers,

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Athoul said:
Sorry to go off topic, but I saw that you were talking about batteries there for a sec. Does anyone happen to know off hand what the mah rating is on those Battery Station brand cr123's? If so feel free to send me a PM so as to not contiune to go off topic.

cheers,

Sorry for the off topic post, but you laser folks really need to take a closer look at the rest of CPF instead of only reading the laser section.. :)
Read this thread for a shootout of almost all available CR123s on the market...

Chief117

Newly Enlightened

gregw said:
Sorry for the off topic post, but you laser folks really need to take a closer look at the rest of CPF instead of only reading the laser section.. :)
Read this thread for a shootout of almost all available CR123s on the market...

Yes, maybe online you can get anything for less. But if you look online for D batteries you can find them for less as well. Just because you can find batteries for less online doesnt mean that CR-123A's are less that D batteries. The fact remains, D batteries are less than CR-123A batteries. I went to walgreens today and wrote down the prices for batteries. 1 CR-123A battery: $7.99. A pack of 2 D batteries: $4.99.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

:sigh:
I never said CR123 were less than D ... I merely corrected your false assumption that CR123 are $7 or such ... which would be a deciding factor for a possible buying decision on some units ...
CR123 are the best primary cells out there, and they are cheap now. Which is great.
And it is about time you realize this in the Laser Forum ... or you are missing all the fun :D ...
bernhard

badinstincts

Newly Enlightened

damn chief, chill out. I would still rather have a wicked 300mw because it does last nearly 80,000 hours or at least 25x longer than a hercules will, which would make it more valuable... they know they had issues, and hopefully they sorted them all out, why would you want a huge laser when you can have a small one that practically lasts forever... 100% constant use... dee dee deee

Black Sheep

Newly Enlightened
If I hear one more post about the cost of batteries I'm gonna kill something. This topic is about a review of a laser, come on people.

...And offtopic, can somebody explain this emoticon to me :dedhorse:

A smiley with a piece of wood beating a horse? LOL

badinstincts

Newly Enlightened
"horse banger" umm, j/k

well, chief could you tell us 'when' you purchased the 300w wicked spyders? maybe that would clue us in on why you had bad luck with them. in the beginning they were still tweaking and tuning it, but I've read that they polished up and their lasers are doing well. Its great that the hercules is so great, but its advantage is that its soooo big so the manufacterer was able to cheat in a way... it would be great if we had a picture of a hercules 300mw and a wicked 300mw side by side. :)

jellyfish414

Newly Enlightened
well, chief could you tell us 'when' you purchased the 300w wicked spyders? maybe that would clue us in on why you had bad luck with them. in the beginning they were still tweaking and tuning it, but I've read that they polished up and their lasers are doing well.

Have you read the Wicked Forums? The latest and greatest were just received, and they're still broke. Apparently some folks have been waiting since December 2005 to get these. After paying $2000 they've gotten nothing but broken lasers, extra charges for shipping back to China and the grief that goes along with flushing 2k down the toilet.

The Laserglow unit may be ginormous, but at least it works, which is more than anyone can say for the Spyder.

badinstincts

Newly Enlightened
well i'm sure it was only a small batch, and obviously the people with the bad batch will go around complaining everywhere...

NairB

Newly Enlightened
Looks like Wicked have been hit by a pump diode manufacturing defect outwith their control!!

Everyone affected can keep the faulty unit and will be shipped a brand new Spyder at no additional cost.

Howz that for customer service!!!:goodjob:

Wonder what folks will do now with their free spare units.

Its just a matter of time before Wicked perfect the Spyder, im sure of that.

BACK To The Herc Review......

As for the Herc.....i love this laser also and must say the sharp crisp beam is whats really impressive about this laser.

By the way, hi Chief :wave:

Last edited:

Chief117

Newly Enlightened

badinstincts said:
damn chief, chill out. I would still rather have a wicked 300mw because it does last nearly 80,000 hours or at least 25x longer than a hercules will, which would make it more valuable... they know they had issues, and hopefully they sorted them all out, why would you want a huge laser when you can have a small one that practically lasts forever... 100% constant use... dee dee deee

I dont mean to be rude, but maybe you might do a little more background research before making claims like that. The 80,000 hour lifetime comes from the n-light diode technology. It sais on te laserglow page that the diodes are either osram or n-light, meaning that some of the hercules series have the same 80,000 hour lifetime. The hercules also has the 100% continuous use, and I know that because I have to have it on for about 4 hours straight every friday. By the end of the 4 hour period, the laser is still putting out well over 350mW. Now compare that to 2 hour of lifetime.

I cant read any posts on the wicked forums anymore due to reasons that have already been discussed, but can anyone update me on how this most recent batch of spyders did? Was the divergence improved? What about the stability?

Also, a flaw in wickeds shipping contributes to the problems with the spyders. I have no doubt that before they are shipped they are all fantastic, but due to the "$8 waterproof flashlight" thing that wicked lasers has going, packages cant be insured. Seriously, what would you do if you worked for customs and a waterproof flashlight came in insured for the same value as a laptop?

NairB

Newly Enlightened
LoL Chief....you posted at the same time as me.

As you can read above, the new Spyders diode's or circuits relating to the diode was popping when new 3V batteries were put in. Apparently, the supplier of these diodes had found this defect but didn't inform Wicked of this.

Steve(Nexus) was not pleased and has sent out replacement units to all of those affected with those keeping the broken units at no extra cost:drool:

Wish i bought a defective one now :awman:

Anyways, the divergence has been improved and an addition IR filter put in place in front of the focus lens(protecting the lens as it acts as a little window)
I think they also changed the focus lens too!!
The switch has been changed to a silent mode stronger rubber switch that has two functions......1) You can press it to power the laser momenterily 2)press it harder to keep the laser on continuous.

Im wondering now if Wicked can change the driver to take rechargables.

Anyway, hope this helps you and others as to whats happening with the spyders.........and im nothing to do with Wicked LoL:lolsign:

-NairB

tobjectpascal

Banned
talking of taking rechargables, the driver board should not really care, i did a small test with 2 x 1.2 cells at 2.4 volts i got exactly the same power output as from two energizer 2 x 1.5 cells at 3 volts, the driver simply requires between a min and max voltage, or at least it does with my cheap leadlight which is now outputting around 20mW.

completely unacceptable part of this post removed by Kiessling. See my post below.
bernhard

Last edited by a moderator:

Timson

Enlightened
Black Sheep said:
...And offtopic, can somebody explain this emoticon to me :dedhorse:

A smiley with a piece of wood beating a horse? LOL

FLOGGING A DEAD HORSE

ie - A lost cause, a waste of time.

Tim.

Latest posts