Hercules is here. Fantastic. REVIEW INSIDE! (pics)(updated 2)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
tobjectpascal ... I have several issues with your above post, which is why it is gone now.

1) we do not discuss the problems of other boards on CPF

2) posting hints and offering help to circumvent rules of other boards is even less encouraged, meaning it is completely unacceptable. CPF will not be used to manipulate other boards. What you did is far beyond any decent behaviour.

Please do not repeat such in the future, because there is a zero-tolerance policy on things like this, and it might result in a restriction of posting privileges.

bernhard

bootleg2go

Enlightened
tobjectpascal said:
talking of taking rechargables, the driver board should not really care, i did a small test with 2 x 1.2 cells at 2.4 volts i got exactly the same power output as from two energizer 2 x 1.5 cells at 3 volts, the driver simply requires between a min and max voltage, or at least it does with my cheap leadlight which is now outputting around 20mW.

completely unacceptable part of this post removed by Kiessling. See my post below.
bernhard

Hi tobjectpascal,
Perhaps your driver board did not care, but it is not the only type or design of driver this is. Many do care, it depends on the design. The higher power units which use much more current can care quite a bit, even with type of battery. The voltage of the battery is only one part of the equation and is good to use if the device has an impedance of 100 ohms or more when operating. If the laser or device uses large amounts of current (low impedance) like a laser that uses 1200mA at 3V. That gives a resistance/impedance of the device & battery (total) of only 2.5 ohms. At this point, not only the voltage of the battery matters, but even more, the internal resistance/impedance of the battery.
A normal alkaline cell has an internal resistance of ~.35 to .4 ohms, x2 for two cells and your looking at .7 to .8 ohms when the device and battery total is only 2.5 ohms. This means that almost 1/3 of the total voltage of the cells (no load, 1.5 for alkaline) is dropped internally to the battery itself, so the voltage the laser or device sees is only 2/3 of the 3V or 2volts. But it get worse, as alkaline batteries heat up while being in use it affects the chemical in the battery which causes the internal resistance to increase even more. The reason NIMH cells do great in high current devices is that they only have about .1 to .14 ohms of internal resistance and it does'nt increase with battery use like the alkalines do.

Jack

blindsided

Banned
Re: Hercules is here. Fantastic. REVIEW INSIDE! (pics)(updated)

Chief117 said:
how this most recent batch of spyders did? Was the divergence improved?

The third gen spyders have been released, much awaited I might ad, and the impvoements are breakthrough. The button has totally been redone, it is now silent, and has two modes. On/off temporary and on/off constant. When you press down firmly and "lock" the button down the beam stays on, press again to turn it off. But if you press the button litely, its just on at your fingertips.

I really like the changes, the collimation is perfect, no more beam divergence. Also, i hear that the laser is being used by exxon mobile through sea test services to conduct underwater tests and repairs on pipelines and ships. Overall the Spyder series 3rd gen is definately worth a look. It feels to me like all the quircks are worked out.
sold.gif

comozo

Enlightened

blindsided said:
The third gen spyders have been released, much awaited I might ad, and the impvoements are breakthrough. The button has totally been redone, it is now silent, and has two modes. On/off temporary and on/off constant. When you press down firmly and "lock" the button down the beam stays on, press again to turn it off. But if you press the button litely, its just on at your fingertips.

I really like the changes, the collimation is perfect, no more beam divergence. Also, i hear that the laser is being used by exxon mobile through sea test services to conduct underwater tests and repairs on pipelines and ships. Overall the Spyder series 3rd gen is definately worth a look. It feels to me like all the quircks are worked out.
sold.gif

A switch that can do all that WOW! and 0 mrd beam divergence that is a breakthrough, it also deserves a double WOW!!
shrug.gif

Last edited:

blindsided

Banned

well not a "perfect" beam, you can't take that literally, nothing is perfect.