hesitation to use a new knife

carrot

Flashaholic
If you suck at freehand the best option for you is the Spyderco Sharpmaker, and if your knife is dull enough that the stock Sharpmaker can't sharpen it you'll need the optional diamond stones.

Brigadier

Enlightened
If you suck at freehand the best option for you is the Spyderco Sharpmaker, and if your knife is dull enough that the stock Sharpmaker can't sharpen it you'll need the optional diamond stones.

+1

nathan310

Newly Enlightened
DMT aligner kit will cost you less than a sharpmaker diamond stones alnoe and it beats the sharpmaker by a mile in every area.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
got my brand new buck rush today (its my third due to loss) and keeping true to my post above i opened the wrong end and it slammed into the concrete floor, and then...later i was absent mindedly picking my fingernails with it only to look down and see a good bit of blood...so yea...apparently i predicted the future though i thought it was all in jest lol (no damage done...just sliced into that little flap of skin next to a fingernail)

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
got my brand new buck rush today (its my third due to loss) and keeping true to my post above i opened the wrong end and it slammed into the concrete floor, and then...later i was absent mindedly picking my fingernails with it only to look down and see a good bit of blood...so yea...apparently i predicted the future though i thought it was all in jest lol
Awesome.

CDS

Newly Enlightened
Use a Smiths pocket pall "the carbide slot" to take off metall on really dull blades. It will pull small ribons of steel off a blunted edge with a little practice. It's also a very affordable, handy little pocket sharpener.

There are plenty of other ways to do it, but none I know of for so little time and $.

Also worth noting that the sharpener's ceramic slot puts a very decent fine edge on your knife.

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
I've long fought the same feeling of the OP when using anything new. I have a buddy that owns an old '59 Mercury; and he drives it everywhere. I once told him that i couldn't understand his willingness to drive the living poop out of his beautiful Merc; to which he replied, "I was always taught to love people and to use 'things'; not the other way around!"

I still hate using the poop out of knives that I paid high dollars for; it must be the peasant in me!

se4g4e

Newly Enlightened
not to go off topic but whats the best way to put a edge back on a used knife..... im not the best sharpener by any means

If it's a Spyderco or Benchmade you could just send it in for resharpening. Five bucks.

bstrickler

Enlightened
not to go off topic but whats the best way to put a edge back on a used knife..... im not the best sharpener by any means

Call around town, and see what different places charge for sharpening knives, if its not one of the brands that was suggested here:

If it's a Spyderco or Benchmade you could just send it in for resharpening. Five bucks.

~Brian

tundratrader

Enlightened
My knives get used. I dont think I have any knives that have not been used. They might have been used in the yard on sticks and trees but used none the less. I understand collecting knives, trust me I have a few. Some people collect art knives which are obviously not being used. That is fine by me.

I cannot even begin to understand the logic of not wanting to use a 70 dollar knife. What is the point of carrying it? What is the ideal situation in which you would deploy it?

Use the damn things they are tools. Sng's, Sebenzas and of course my trusty XM-18 are all being beat on and used regularly.

Zach

choombak

Enlightened
Nopes. I have no shelf-queens as far as knives go -- all are well used up and show a distinct "personality". :) It too me some time to overcome, but now that I have, I think I enjoy my knives more than I ever did.

Until sometime ago, I also had shelf-queen flashlights -- they too are now "in the field".

The value of the knife appreciates if you use it, else its "dead" investment. Good luck, and overcome this feeling quick. Benchmade makes fine knives, and the Grip shall serve you for a long time to come.

-Amarendra

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I was like that when I was collecting knives I would not want to use any of them, then I had a work injury and had to sell my collection and have since then only bought knives that I use. The only problem is I only but nice handmade knives so my user is Damascus bladed handmade frame lock and I have no problem using it for what ever I need to. The reason I like Damascus is it holds a edge great and does not show the marks from using it as much as a satin or bead blasted blade. Plus you can show it off.

Kraid

Enlightened
I love the look of a well used knife!

In another note, Tom Krein also sharpens for $5! +return shipping. Any model.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Just use it.

I just got a brand new Hinderer XM-18, a very hard knife to come by, and it was in my pocket the second it came out of the box.

I carry and use all my customs, and productions.

Please do yourself a favor, use it, and enjoy it.

Best wishes,

RL

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something a well respected person told me years ago was: "Always go out with your best things."

Just wanted to add this to the discussion.

I have followed this advice since then, and have had the pleasure of using all the nice things I own, and it feels good to use them.

We are lucky to own nice things, and they serve no purpose put away. We should use them.

CDS

Newly Enlightened
I like to keep the scratches off my nicer things. In an emergency we do what must be done, but I don't think it's nice to tell someone that they should not take care to keep the possessions they have as mint as they wish. With lights and knives I have those I take special care of and those I use hard. Cheers to you if you try and keep your equipment like new.

To those who scratch the hell out of your stuff, cheers to you as well, just don't be so quick to judge others.

Its all just perspectivelovecpf

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to keep the scratches off my nicer things. In an emergency we do what must be done, but I don't think it's nice to tell someone that they should not take care to keep the possessions they have as mint as they wish. With lights and knives I have those I take special care of and those I use hard. Cheers to you if you try and keep your equipment like new.

To those who scratch the hell out of your stuff, cheers to you as well, just don't be so quick to judge others.

Its all just perspectivelovecpf

Dude...Relax!

No one is telling anyone to scratch the hell out of anything, or judge anybody.

It is nice to be able to use something, and have it with you. Using nice products, as intended with proper care, and maintenance, is fine.

Keeping things looking good is great, as long as you Don't obsess over every little thing.

Most of the high end, quality things I own can be serviced, or replaced if something happens.

What do you have in your collection? It is alwasys fun to hear what others have.

Best wishes,

RL

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just use it.

I just got a brand new Hinderer XM-18, a very hard knife to come by, and it was in my pocket the second it came out of the box.

I carry and use all my customs, and productions.

Please do yourself a favor, use it, and enjoy it.

Best wishes,

RL

Almost precisely what I did, came out with me on a run in the bush near my house. Saw a stick, decided to get acquainted with my XM-18, see how it cut, and how it felt while cutting. Think it's been over two years now, and it's still going very nicely.

I don't go out of my way to put scratches on it, but if it happens, so be it. If it gets grease all over it, so be it.

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened
Knives, firearms and flashlights are all tools

Would you be upset if you scratched your power-drill or your hammer?

I'm not trying to be harsh, but get over it, seriously.

If you're worried about scratching things in your collection, maybe you should take up collecting commemorative china plates or snow globes.

For the record, my everyday carry knives are generally Benchmades...my favorites are a couple of 530 Pardues with a 154CM blades...and yeah they are both dinged and scratched to hell. Its called "character", learn to love it.

I learned as a kid that if you cannot use it, then it is no good to you