hesitation to use a new knife

motorwerks

Newly Enlightened
any of you guys kinda cringe at the thought of using a knife or something you paid over $70 for..... i just got a BM 556s mini grip and i just kinda hesitate when i need to cut anything lol

LOL no I have a $400.00 Lone wolf knife that I carry with me every day.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Friends. I'm out of town with the boss. Basically, I'm holding fort on the road as he attends to urgent and sudden family issues. So I'm using my stunted laptop without access to all my image library. Someone asked about jewelry pics? I'll post some when we're back in the office. Also we design and invent and so I'm stretched right now. Barely have time for the 'john'.
Thanks for understanding.
More later. :popcorn:

Book titles...we need book titles!!

Arch.....

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
The longer you keep anything pristine the harder it is to use, scratch, dent it.

That's why if I intend to use something, a knife or a flashlight, I use it right away. It's effortless and I feel no frustration when I see the first signs of wear because I don't get a chance to getting used to having it perfect.

On the other hand I still have a BM titanium framelock that I just can't get to use. It's been pristine for years now.

Archie Cruz

Banned
Book titles...we need book titles!!

Arch.....

REDLED. Just to clue you in on what I'm about on the topic of publishing.
I use a Tempest Shielded laptop that is quarantined from any wireless or wired network connection or EMF. Only blank media is ever inserted for backups and it's in an undisclosed location. My topics are often controversial and thus , secret. Several of my topics are not secret and a few I collaborate with others on.
The titles are only divulged in press releases prior to distribution. Not a moment before.
Here are the only two guidebooks I can discuss. Titles are provisional and yet.... copyrighted.

DECADE 2 - is a survival guide for ordinary persons wishing to repair personal finance mistakes they may have made, and that may have caused them financial distress or ruin in the period 2000 - 2010, thus it's titled... Decade 2. DECADE 2 is holistic as I delve into psychology, interpersonal relationships, citizenship and the importance of faith, in addition to down to earth money matters. Put it all together- it's an uncommonly sensible approach to sustainable self determination.

THE FIELD PRODUCER'S HANDBOOK - A pocket book guide for video production – grab and go 4"X6" gem.It covers a lot of the traditional basics but is pictogram illustrated and is organized in an easily searchable and tabbed spiral bound format that slips unobtrusively into a jacket pocket or briefcase for $12.00
I'm constantly discovering miniaturization and usability opportunities for grotesque textbooks and manuals. I used my draft copy of this to teach a handful of people how to practice the trade of video production on a mock TVC. They loved it and thanked me for alleviating them of the burden of plowing through a big boring book. The TVC took 8 hours to shoot with real people and off the shelf consumer HD gear.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, so you're not really ionvolved wth a publishing house... are you? Sounds like college projects a professor tossed back to you with an F.

Whatever, Dude.

Hey send me a copy of the video book, I personally work with the best directors, in the world, and have covered the motion picture business for 18 years, and have friends who have endowed millions to the USC Film School of the Cinematic Arts...would Tom Hanks looking at it be of help? I can arrange that, no problem. look at my contact info, and send it to me.

Need an agent to Rep the book for you? I can connect you to people who will have you set for life, if your work is any good.

Standing by to be at your service Maestro!

Cave_Dweller

Newly Enlightened
any of you guys kinda cringe at the thought of using a knife or something you paid over $70 for..... i just got a BM 556s mini grip and i just kinda hesitate when i need to cut anything lol

Nah... all my knives & lights are 'users'. They're tools. I don't have the money to be a collector (at least, not a collector of the stuff I'd like to have on the shelf) so I buy stuff I can afford to use (and lose, replace, break, whatever).

THere are two ways to look at it... if you bought it to use, then use it. If you bought it to look at, put it on a shelf and dust it from time to time.

If you don't know which of those two it was... why did you buy it in the first place?

cal..45

Enlightened
Knives, firearms and flashlights are all tools

Would you be upset if you scratched your power-drill or your hammer?

I'm not trying to be harsh, but get over it, seriously.

If you're worried about scratching things in your collection, maybe you should take up collecting commemorative china plates or snow globes.

For the record, my everyday carry knives are generally Benchmades...my favorites are a couple of 530 Pardues with a 154CM blades...and yeah they are both dinged and scratched to hell. Its called "character", learn to love it.

I fully agree with you. A knife is nothing but a tool for me and before it was used pretty hard to the point where the edge becomes as dull as it can be, i don't really consider it my knife. of course the proper sharpening process with good waterstones afterwards is a must and it is really satisfying to see the edge coming to new life and sharper than it has ever been before.

cheers

Archie Cruz

Banned
Cough! Pardon me if I gracefully decline your kind offers. I'm honored to be solicited buy so auspicious a person as yourself.:laughing:

Yeah, so you're not really ionvolved wth a publishing house... are you? Sounds like college projects a professor tossed back to you with an F.

Whatever, Dude.

Hey send me a copy of the video book, I personally work with the best directors, in the world, and have covered the motion picture business for 18 years, and have friends who have endowed millions to the USC Film School of the Cinematic Arts...would Tom Hanks looking at it be of help? I can arrange that, no problem. look at my contact info, and send it to me.

Need an agent to Rep the book for you? I can connect you to people who will have you set for life, if your work is any good.

Standing by to be at your service Maestro!

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use the Griptillian. The only "damage" I have inflicted on mine is pocket lint and tape goo residue. Both are easily fixable. :crackup:

I did finally wire brush what was left of the paint on the clip. I may attempt bluing it with Gun Blue. If it shows any sign of rust. Or I may gunkote it some hideous color. :D

Back in the day I used my Buck Buckmaster 184 to cut holes in duct work. It didn't do a bad job. Still have that one. And it is still in great shape.

Archie Cruz

Banned
Arch...come on now?
Keeping the OP's original topic in mind.... send me your creds via a PM and I'll consider you. I have a pubisher's agency already but if you're the superstar you say you are... I'm, willing to talk.

"Hey send me a copy of the video book, I personally work with the best directors, in the world, and have covered the motion picture business for 18 years, and have friends who have endowed millions to the USC Film School of the Cinematic Arts...would Tom Hanks looking at it be of help? I can arrange that, no problem. look at my contact info, and send it to me.

Now in fairness to the OP, I just got back from visiting my folks and that experience underscored my key point. Unless you are building a personal museum and are getting regular visitors to it– what's the point of a collection.

To put practice to my preaching I've decided to offload everything that looks like a pointless collection and only keep my life-work which is a collection of sorts, but it's a historical chronology too.
Anyone collect novelty plastic pens? I have 20 I need to donate.
My folks are gonna dump their museum on me one day. fortunately, I can week out the wheat from the chafe.:poof:

Thermion

Newly Enlightened
I always use the blades I EDC. That's what I get them for. My wife just got me a BM 950 Rift that's just striking to look at. It will get used hard, but NOT abused. Unless its an emergency, my knives are cutting instruments, not pry bars or screwdrivers, etc.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeping the OP's original topic in mind.... send me your creds via a PM and I'll consider you. I have a pubisher's agency already but if you're the superstar you say you are... I'm, willing to talk.

"Hey send me a copy of the video book, I personally work with the best directors, in the world, and have covered the motion picture business for 18 years, and have friends who have endowed millions to the USC Film School of the Cinematic Arts...would Tom Hanks looking at it be of help? I can arrange that, no problem. look at my contact info, and send it to me.

Now in fairness to the OP, I just got back from visiting my folks and that experience underscored my key point. Unless you are building a personal museum and are getting regular visitors to it– what's the point of a collection.

To put practice to my preaching I've decided to offload everything that looks like a pointless collection and only keep my life-work which is a collection of sorts, but it's a historical chronology too.
Anyone collect novelty plastic pens? I have 20 I need to donate.
My folks are gonna dump their museum on me one day. fortunately, I can week out the wheat from the chafe.:poof:

Is that you in your avatar? What are you, 12? 13?

What is your lifelong work? Not psychojunk? Or are your books about how to live in a commune?

Sounds like you have serious issues with your parents. There is help for you, but you have want to get it.

Can I make a call for you? You can get better, Arch!

I bet all the plastic novelty pens are from the companies that make all the psycho-prescriptions you are on.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
I have two Benchmade with Axis locks (one with custom scales, almost doubling the price of the original knife), but my most expensive knives are two Sebenza's, a large one with Ebony inlay (bought used on Ebay - a super incredible deal!), and an older small one with the now-rare BG42 steel that I ordered directly from CR since it is left handed (yes, BG42 "is" better and stays sharper than the newer S30V CR uses).

For many years I used the small Sebenza as my EDC, but I don't use much the Small one these days once I got the large one, since I prefer the larger size (feels better in my hand - I wear Large size gloves), but when wearing dress pants the small Sebenza clipped to the inside of the pant, by the waist behind the belt just disappears and calls no attention to anyone. The Sebenzas are far more expensive than the Benchmades, but I just save enough money over a long while before I can buy one, so the price is not so bad when done that way.

I do hope to one day pass one my lef-handed Sebenza's to my kids (too bad neither one is left handed!), but I don't have "anything" that is a shelf queen, being flashlights, knives, etc.. If it does not get used, it gets sold/traded, etc.. For the same reason I don't believe in collecting anything - no mater how special/rare the item might be. I respect those who collect items, but it does not make any sense to me to keep something that will never be used. In fact I get a greater appreciation of an item when I hold it and use it the way it was meant. That is why I more often carry the Sebenzas over the Benchmades - they are so amazing and yet simple, it is hard to describe with words. True, it is "risky" when carrying such a "relatively" expensive knife (one might loose it), but I rather take the risk of loosing it while using it, than just to keep it looking pretty and never get use of it.

Now, I do take care of my knives, and I am more conscious about my more expensive Sebenzas than on the Benchmades, so the Benchmades are my choice when I know before hand that the knife might be more likely to have an "accident" and get dinged, dropped, hit, etc.. I guess you can say that the Benchmade is my go-to beater knives, but for daily EDC, 99% of the time I have the Sebenza with me.

My latest Sebenza I have now waited for almost a year and 1/2, arrives this coming week, and it will be a Large Sebenza with a Stainless Steel Damascus Ladder pattern blade, and Desert Ironwood inlays. It is the typical knife that most buy to delegate as a shelf queen and never use. But not me, this new and stunning knife will see regular duty as my EDC - I will probably alternate between my two large Sebenzas depending on the occasion - I bought it to use it!. I will post pictures when I get it in the next week or so.

Edit: Photo of my Benchmades:
BM Mini-Ritter - my wife's EDC - she feel in love with the color!
BM Presidio M520 Plain Edge with custom 3D Scales - my "beater" knife. Strong and built like a tank!. Here is the thread where I put a lot more photos of when I got it.

IMG_2534.JPG

Here on top is a photo of my Small Left hand Sebenza with BG42 steel (below is the full size RSK):
IMG_0987.JPG

Will

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
The collection addiction is typically a compensation mechanism for something missing in one's life. Typically, that missing something is called "Meaningfulness". So we attach a synthetic meaningfulness to a collection of objects and the process of collecting that become an erstwhile surrogate 'family' with nurturing family behavior. This type of attachment is both cathectic and cathartic, but because boredom and familiarity "breed contempt", new items have to constantly be added and trading becomes an easy route ... (snore)
I think we've had quite enough of that and the other BS you have posted here... and RedLed, stop baiting him, please.

Kraid

Enlightened
Ya GOTTA use em, man! Used knives develop a look that is rarely equaled in SEXINESS! A "patina" if you will. Especially black coated ones. (Which I don't think I own any...)

Latest posts